Suggestions please...for a bike upgrade

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
[Note: as the new board software 'lost' threads from Nov 21-27, this is a re-post of the initial question and a _copy_ of member responses (though they show my nick) up thru Nov 27th. Any posts after Nov 27th will appear correctly with the posters nick]

This rookie rider is ready for a bike upgrade early next year....and would appreciate some input from the knowledgeable members.

I really like my '01 Suzuki 250XC "Djebel". Never burns oil, never fails to start; a very reliable machine. Just basic maintenance and go. However, it just doesn't have enough zip for the open road...I'll cruise at 90-100kmh so as not to strain the engine which maxes out at 127-130kmh. I've often tried shifting to that elusive 7th gear, to no avail . It's a minor drudgery taking the open road to Cambo or Laos, much less touring in Thailand. About 20% of my riding has been off-road and there the Djebel suits me just fine.

Some folks recommended I get an XR400R...reliable and great for having available parts/accessories in SEA.
But...I've read it's fairly heavy, has a kickstart [yuk] and a measly 75 watt stator...and I like a powerful headlight and some annoying horns.

So, my alternative seems to be a Suzuki DRZ400S...electric start like the Djebel and a 200W stator, but I'm concerned about availability of parts if needed. Many on Thumpertalk seem to worship the DRZ400 as a very reliable steed, but it concerns me that many on that forum also post of their problems with the DRZ, as well as the initial adjustments that need to be made to avoid future problems. I also like the idea of the inexpensive 3x3 mod for a little extra power.
I've already gotten one quote of 235K, including reg/license for a 400S. They said it would be for an '05 or '06 model, and if I decide that's the bike to get, I'll seek other quotes as the weak US$ is putting a hurt on me.

Your input on the DRZ or suggestions for alternative choices (and why) will be appreciated. Thx!

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
***Recreating the thread...copying replies from other members***

Captain_Slash...replied:

If you want to wait until near the end of march I will be selling my BMW F650GS which is a 2006 model and completely legal with first class insurance

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006

Marco wrote:

Captain Slash
Beemer what you have is one nice bike friend in finland got one just few weeks ago, trade in to KTM 900,,and is way more happier that to that KTM.I by my self looking around March R1150rt's

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006

rich1968...wrote:

OOOOP'S all the Honda XR400''s that I' ve seen for sale over the past couple of years come with electric start.( confused???) Also the light set up is very much the same as DRZ 400's if you want some mean lights then get the Honda Baja XR........Great people at Honda seem to cover every corner....lol

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006

cdrw replied...

thx for the input thus far, however...

Captain Slash...the BMW F650GS is too much bike for my current riding skills and it also weighs [awk!] 380-kg! I'd need to join Tony's gym (another 20k-Bt expenditure) before I got such a bike!

rich1968...get the Baja XR...why?
It's another 250cc. My current Djebel is a 250 and one reason I got this bike is that it's _extra large_ single headlight is just as powerful as the Baja twin lights.
Further, from the specs research I've read thus far on the XR400R at this and other sites:
http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.u ... r400r.html
the XR400R is a kickstart and unfortunately the stator on the bike is merely 80-100w, which would mean I would need to upgrade to a 200W stator. Honda is a fine bike, but just doesn't seem to meet either my needs or pocketbook.

_________
Pattaya local

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006

Franz - eastern Seaboard...wrote:

Hi cdrw, F650GS weighs somehwere around 198 kgs, 380 is the maximum permitted weight fully loaded. Rgds, FR

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006

bill...wrote:

CDRW
The DRZ is a good dualsport bike and pretty good offroad.
Reliability is relatively good. My stator went after 30,000km but everything else OK.
Several bike shops in PP stock OEM parts and/or can order them DHL ex Singapore etc
The narrow seat needs some work if you're planning on long distance.
A lot of the DRZ's in Cambodia come with aftermarket carbs and exhausts(ex Japan) which can add ~5hp without affecting fuel consumption.
Fuel tank only holds 10litres (smaller than your 250) and average highway fuel consumption is ~25km/litre
Aftermarket plastic tanks run about $200 but I've got by OK with the stock tank.
There are various options to improve the headlight including fitting a Djeibel headlight.
I fitted a baja designs lens to the stock shroud and run a PIAA 80/80W which is plenty strong enough
I chose the DRZ because its a reasonable dirtbike that can be made comfortable for long highway stretches, whereas its hard to make a touring bike dirtworthy.

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006

cdrw...replied:

Thank you Bill for the info!

Bill wrote:
The narrow seat needs some work if you're planning on long distance.
***Yep...same prob w/ Djebel...leads to hemorrhoids . A friend suggested a Corbin, but $$$!!; I can have a local modify existing seat making it a little wider with better padding.

A lot of the DRZ's in Cambodia come with aftermarket carbs and exhausts(ex Japan) which can add ~5hp without affecting fuel consumption.
***have read of FCR39 + pipe upgrade, etc...but expensive and maybe it's a major prob getting a Thai reg/license for a Cambo bike??

There are various options to improve the headlight including fitting a Djeibel headlight.
***I can get another Djebel headlight/frame (and Xenon bulb), but will it bolt on or require major mods to fit?

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006

cdrw...replies:

Today, I visited and had a chat with Hiko, one of the GT-Rider mavens.
He was very gracious during the few hours he spent with me and provided a few more incidental things to consider in a owning and operating a DRZ. I appreciate his taking the time to help me along.
His cute, young 3 or 4-year old daughter was demonstrating to me how to kick-start a motorcycle...I guess you can't start 'em too young!

He also mentioned that "rich1968" is correct about the Honda Xr400R having an electric start. So much for my research and thanks, Rich.

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006

bill...replies

I got the Corbin, it's overrated but the Cambo upholsterers only had low grade foam . I expect you have much better foam choices in Thailand. The Renazco seat is very popular on ThumperTalk and they use the stock seat pan !

Yes, the carbs/exhausts are expensive but when I bought my bike it came with the goodies and the local importers dont charge anymore for it compared to stock. So just a headsup that they're worthwhile mods if the bike comes with them.
You're probably better off buying a DRZ in Thailand given the rego issues but at least when you visit Cambo, parts/knowhow are available

Shouldnt be too hard, friend of mine's DRZ has the djebel headlight, looks great.
I wired in a relay and heavier wiring for my new Lens with 80W globe as the standard wiring and switching was for a totally useless 35W globe.

The Djebel seat (that you found uncomfortable) is a couch compared to the DRZ seat so I think modifying the seat could be the major issue for you.

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Hi,

I can just agree with what others say: DRZ is a great bike for Mekong countries. Even in downtown Bangkok it 's the perfect tool. Weight/power ratio make it a fun bike to ride.
It needs some mods though, as pointed by Bill and others users:

a)Headlight. You 'll probably buy a Japan import which come with 35 W bulb.
European models are delivered with a 60 W.
I use a Djebel headlight and it's fine
b)Seat: just get a local craftman to widen it (500 to 900 Bahts).
c)Gas tank capacity.As I haven't order an aftermarket one yet I carry an extra 1 gallon spare, in case.

235 000 Baht with rego appears to be a decent quote for Thailand.
Cheers