Sunglasses and visors?

Apr 27, 2010
Hello forum!

I've tried sverlal combos of visors and sunglasses but haven't been able to find something that really hits the spot. So far I've been trough;

1. Clear visor and a trusted old pair of ray bans.
This has been working best so far. Comfy and relaxing for the eyes and fits in the helmet ok.
However, the lenses are glass and wouldn't be the best in case of an accident.

2. Tinted visor and same glasses. Also works good, as long as it's light. Riding in shady conditions or dusk, not so good. Takes out to much detail, it would be easy not to spot a pothole etc.

3. Cheap pair of polaroidz/clear visor. I really liked the polaroidz, the make things look crisp and clear but when closing the visor I get all kinds of distorted patterns and wierd colors, gets really tiresome after awhile.

I've been looking at various brand name sunglasses around here but prices are a bit to steep for my budget.

I realize this is a matter of personnal preference, but I'd relly like to hear your personal favorites are.

Also, if anyone has some tips on deacent quality sunglasses that not are in the 5-20.000 Bhat range around Chiang Mai I'd really appreciate it

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Hi DaRider,

Tried the same as you. Finally got a good tinted visor and did away with the glasses. Hopeless in the dark but I avoid that.

Apr 23, 2006
I use a Caburg helmet which has a tinted visor already fitted - just flip it down or up as required. Also have tinted prescription glasses. Sometimes sun is still too strong but I usually cope!

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks for the input,

Yeah, i guess that could work, but i get caught in the dark from time to time and wouldn't really want to ride without anything covering the eyes (thumb-sized bugs and what not buzzing around out there...). Maybe a pair of clear lens work ware eye protection (you know what i mean, yes?) would do the job...

I've also considered a helmet with bult in flip down dark visor. This seems to be the ultimate solution, but from reviews i've read it doesn't seem to be any that really got it right. Obstructed views and light coming in between gaps seems to be common problems.. If any of you have experience of these kind of helmets, good or bad, please let me know.

Apr 27, 2010
David Learmonth;272158 wrote: I use a Caburg helmet which has a tinted visor already fitted - just flip it down or up as required. Also have tinted prescription glasses. Sometimes sun is still too strong but I usually cope!
David, just must have posted while i was typing my reply..:)
What model Caberg is it, and do you think it works well?

Apr 23, 2006
Its a Caberg Justissimo GT. I bought it from Designer Helmets.Com
Email : [email protected]
Its a "flip up" with built in dark visor. Second one I've had & I expect I'll replace it sooner or later with a third! I like them. Ordered it from UK & a friend brought it over for me.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Had an AIROH Matisse helmet with a clear visor and a retractable dark tinted easily flipped down or up. Bought this helmet at Fast Corner in Panthip Plaza in Chiang Mai, if I remember right price was 15,000 THB. Would love that helmet in Austria where there's lots of tunnels and Rayban's are just dangerous as you cannot remove them once getting into the 'tube' with speed. Problem was that Airoh is an italian brand and so was it's quality, it simply fell apart after 2.5 years.
As we are not having too many tunnels in Thailand I now prefer to have Raybans under a clear visor. If it's getting too hot or I'm riding at 'Wave' speed, I simply open the visor as the glasses are easily cleaned.
Having a dark visor is not my choice for one reason only, sometimes you need to ride at night and as we are living in a tropical, wet country, the amount of flies, moscitos and other flying missiles dart your eyes once you need to open the visor because you won't see enough with the tinted one.
Just try a cheap REAL helmet in the evening with these dark tinted visors and you know, cheers, Franz

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
I think you need to go one of two ways...

I use a clear visor with tinted protective glasses... because that is what my hemlet came with... I carry a pair of clear protective glasses so I can ride at night with the visor open from time to time...

The alternative would be a tinted visor with clear protective glasses... and carry tinted protective glasses so you can ride with the visor up... which you will really want to do in Thailand...

I find that protective glasses are usually better than sunglasses, in that they are often lighter in weight... and usually fit much closer to your eyes, without frames to obsure you vision... if you think about it, that is how they are designed... light weight so people will wear them close to the face so there are no gaps for objects to get through, and without obstructing your vision...

this sort of thing... plus they are cheap, so when you drop them pulling of your helmet, balancing them on the seat whilst you fuel up, etc etc, you don't break down in tears...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYhmVyw-9jCeW3VXjOaasBIPIko5FhmbSqDtJts25JIwky0ifV.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuxdErUHdt5BM-GCtiC0LIYvhFxKRGgbchZaanWXx5kdDTbAAt.jpg

Cheers,
Daewoo

Jul 25, 2010
I find that a tinted visor stops the face getting burnt, particularly one with god optics like Arai. I avoid riding in the dark but carry clear glasses in the event that I have to on occasions. Alternatively, also carry a clear visor and you can switch from tinted to clear in a minute if the need arises.

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks for all that input fellas.

I'll definitely have a closer look at some helmets with flip down sun visors.
Caberg seems nice, quality without over the top price tags. Meanwhile i'll have to stick with a clear visor/dark sunglasses. Does anyone have tips on where to find tinted workwear-style glasses of good quality around Chiang Mai?

Jul 11, 2011
I've got a Shark Vision R helmet with the flip down dark visor. It works perfectly well for me in any condition. They are available from Whipping Racing in Chiang Mai. I paid 12,000 Baht for mine but have since discovered that the shop near Suriwong Book Store on the opposite side are now selling the same model for 9,500 Baht, a considerable saving.
I've a few friends with Airoh helmets and they rate them highly.
I had the Carberg Trip flip up helmet with internal visor a few years and thought it to be very poor. Too much wind noise for my liking and I was only on a 125 most of the time back then.

Apr 27, 2010
Cloughy;272265 wrote: I've got a Shark Vision R helmet with the flip down dark visor. It works perfectly well for me in any condition. They are available from Whipping Racing in Chiang Mai. I paid 12,000 Baht for mine but have since discovered that the shop near Suriwong Book Store on the opposite side are now selling the same model for 9,500 Baht, a considerable saving.
I've a few friends with Airoh helmets and they rate them highly.
I had the Carberg Trip flip up helmet with internal visor a few years and thought it to be very poor. Too much wind noise for my liking and I was only on a 125 most of the time back then.
I'll definitely check out the shop across Suriwong. 9500:- sounds like a good price for a helmet of that quality. Thanks for the tip.

And, if anyone has info on where to look for cheap good quality workware/sunglasses, please let me know.

Happy rides!

Nov 7, 2007
I have one pair of Progrip sunglasses from Fast Corner that fit perfectly under the helmet. They're very small and close to the head wraparounds, very soft. They would be perfect except the lens quality isn't so good - I get a headache wearing them all day. BHT 1500 or so I think.

I also have an expensive pair of polarized sunglasses - they're great but they don't quite fit under the helmet so they are not ideal. You don't want to be adjusting sunglasses while riding at speed. Polarized is way more comfortable on longer rides though - these are $200+, quite a difference from the cheapo chinese polarized ones you get at the night bazaar - the latter have interference with the visor, I can only assume because the polarization or lens is so cheap.

So yeah I think the flip down visor is the way to go.

Jun 15, 2011
I use a ROOF helmet that I brought out with me from the UK. It has a very close fitting visor ( looks like a fighter pilot helmet ) but I can use my Rayban's too so have the best of both. It's by far the most comfortable helmet I've worn too in over 40 years of motorcycling. I got the Rayban's posted from the usa from a company called Shadesdaddy ( shadesdaddy.com ). I bought two pairs, one for me and one for the wife, who broke my last pair getting into the car. They were on the top of her head. They cost me 120 pounds so I was fuming. Shadesdaddy sent me the two pairs for less than the UK price so I was well pleased. Only problem there was I had to have them shipped via the UK but it only took eight days in total ( usa - UK - Thailand ). They don't ship direct to Thailand even if you pay by visa, paypal or whatever. I haven't yet found the ideal solution to changing riding conditions, ie, rain, sun or night. The person who does will be an overnight millionaire !

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
I'm "lucky" as I wear specs all the time & my specs have photochromic lenses, that change with the light.
I am also now using a dark visor on my Arai helmet.

If I get caught out in the dark I can just flick the visor most of the way up have my eyes protected by my spectacles.
Not 100% perfect, but I've been able to endure a couple of 1 - 1 1/2 hr night rides in the rain.

I do have a spare clear visor for the Arai, but have some difficulty swapping visors over, even though it is supposed to be a "5 second" job for the experts.

Jan 16, 2008
I usually use a Oakley M-Frame with 3 different lenses to change out with whatever the riding conditions are.
Clear for nighttime.
Persimmon for overcast, rainy and twilight conditions.
Grey for sunny weather.
As I like to ride with my helmet visor slightly open at the bottom (I like to feel the wind on my face) the M-Frame protects my eyes with it's wide lenses against bugs and dust.
It's not cheap and take a few minutes to change out, but it works for me and the optical clarity of Oakleys is better then the competitors.

Apr 27, 2010
I ended up getting a Caberg V2R at the store across from Suriwong (there's a few good bits 'n pieces in there, owner is a nice fella too..). It took awhile to get used to flip the visor, and there is a gap between the inner visor and the chin guard that lets in some light but it's not to annoying. All in all, a pretty good solution :)

Thanks again for the input.