Thai Bike Insurance Certificate Change?

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Does anybody know if the system is has changed?
Apparently, as from the beginning of April, insurance companies are no longer giving out insurance certificates - the square paper- for display.
Allegedly, this is a government budget measure to save 50 million baht - as it is the government who issue the certificate square to the insurance companies for us to display on the bikes.
I am sure that this will in turn be welcomed by those in tailor-made "browns" who will now expect us to carry our full set of insurance docs, whenever we ride - or perhaps contribute to their entertainment fund.
This is coming from my dealer who is sorting out insurance papers for my Trumpet.

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Only in the LoS.
Word now is the government is working on a piece of paper to be displayed - but this going to take 3 months or so to implement!
In the meantime you should carry yr 3rd party insurance papers with you.
You have to smile.

Jun 21, 2006
Rhodie

Just got back from Transport Office here in CNX, (Phantom rego ran out March 3rd - oops)

Same same happens here, no square sticker anymore for insurance, the guy said just put the sheet of paper they gave me with the bike details on, under your seat.

They still issue square cert. for registration, so I presume as you can only get that, by showing valid insurance policy, only need now have 1 sticker on bike.

On the way back to Thapae Gate from transport office, police had set up road block, catching all the locals and farangs riding without helmets. We just sailed thru on the Pink Phantom. (Obviously we had our helmets on)

Snail

Subscribed
Nov 2, 2005
Cnx
Very odd. I just went this morning to buy the third party insurance for a Ducati and was given a square sticker! No mention of anything else at all. I bought the ticket from a insurance company in town.

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
I, too, just renewed my bike registration in Pattaya. I obtained the mandatory Thai insurance across the street from the license bureau and rec'd a square sticker. So, maybe Rhodie's findings are only applicable if the insurance is obtained from the license bureau?

Jun 21, 2006
Well, once again Amazing Thailand, just when I thought I had sussed the insurance sticker thingy.

Went to Transport Department, in Phuket, today. Paid for insurance and road tax, and would you believe, they are giving out insurance stickers, just like the olden days.

So it seems so far only Cnx and Bkk not issueing the certs.

T.I.T.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
I renewed in Chiang Mai yesterday. The stickers were the same for insurance (except color) and the road tax changed from round to square. Have to change the nice round metal holder I have been using for 4 years.