Trip from Bangkok to North and Isaan

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Sorry guys I can't go. Have a great ride.

Bard, the route we took from Nan to Loei was the 1026 to Na Noi then left on 1083. At the end of the 1083 its a Left Right onto 1241 the a Left onto 1268.
At Na haeo take the 2113 to Dan Sai and then get on the 203 to Loei.

All the roads are great with a lot of mountains. The 1083 has got a few patches of roughish road and some places with loose stuff on the tarmac but the scenery is incredible.

Have a good one guys and we look forward to a trip report.

bard

Oct 2, 2008
Dougal,

To bad, would be great to have you with us.

Tony,

I got a Canon something you can borrow until you get sorted out. I got a waterproof housing for it as well for diving, is proof to 40m sooo that should protect it from your ten thumbs I guess.

Either that or figure out what you want and I can buy for you in Singapore on my way home, no probs.

Yes the FZ1 did not fit me right with that tank man, hence I went for the FZ6 which fitted like a glove. So good that Trenty sussed it out on the trip, as he already tested the FZ6 and found it to be a brilliant fit for him as well. He should be happy when he get's going.

Cheers Bard

bard

Oct 2, 2008
OK we are now back from the trip, ended up with a 5500 km ride, unfortunately I did not take any pictures but a put together a VDO clip from the trip which is here
Here is a summary from the trip;

1st day we meet up in Yamaha Rider Club in Bangkok and due to lot of laughs we did not get moving until 10 ish so we were a bit late kicking off.

We rode towards Mae Sot and due to Trent we got a bit lost and did a long road around which was a bit silly, the road at the end was very nice with great curves which was only ruined by the temperature was way high, and my riding pants almost killed me, got prickly heat from them... In Mae Sot we had a few beers and lot of good times when we finally got cooled down.

Day two I ditched my riding pants due to temperature and used jeans instead, good choice. Took off towards Mae Hong Son and had a great ride until we came about 1/2 way there, then I followed another rider got lax and silly me focused on the bike up front, so he went wide and hit the brakes and since the bike goes where you look so did I and I ended up in a sandy patch and low sided due to that. I was fine thanks to frame slider and panniers protected my foot, the Shoei did it's job and my mesh jacket did it's job so all I got was a bruise on my elbow. The bike got pretty beaten up cosmetically and the steering was bent. We then re-routed to Chiang Mai so Yamaha could have a go at the bike. We did 108 to Chiang Mai and on the road there, Tony's top box fell off into his rear tire, luckily for him on a straight so he did not go through a disaster.
BustedRackER6.jpg

We then spent a few days in Chiang Mai, meet up with lot of great guys from GT Rider, fixed my steering and took off on a daytrip with John Gooding which was excellent.
bardsterSSR.jpg

We then went to Doi Inthanon and rode to Mae Hong Son, what a beautiful ride that was. In the evening we went to Crossroads had a great meal and meet some local bikers, beer thirsty we ended up in a nightclub with the guys and girls with bigbikes and came back to the room at 4 (I think) day after revealed a massive hangover, me and Trent had ridden the bikes in stairs etc... I honestly cannot remember...
InthanonPeakSSR.jpg

Day after we were a bit hung over and was supposed to do a massive ride, now we also wanted to go with the local riders to the Chinese village. So after a lot of confusion we tried to catch up with the others and Trent got directions, they were worthless and we ended up according to my GPS in the middle of a national park on a dirtroad. We did find a hilltribe which had a celebration for New Year and they shoot with guns and danced so we joined obviously and had a lot of fun in the process. After a good while we decided to get going and ended up in Pai where we chilled.
hilltribe7.jpg

Day after we went from Pai to Doi Ang Khan then to Chiang Rai, that was a great ride, awesome and nobody led us on dirtroads and all was well. Then I decided to do a metric Iron Butt and the following day I went Chiang Rai to Rayong in one go, only stopped for fuel and food and managed to do 1004 km in 9 hours. Just had to do it, was one of those things I had to get ticked off.

Day after I went to Bangkok to get the insurance for the bike sorted and went to Paddock for new helmet as the old one was pretty bruised up, after we went to Gadgetrend and got more RAM mounts for the bikes, and Dirtshop to look at there brand new Dyno (will open in April) then returned back home. Then me and Trent figured out we missed out on Isaan so we went with pillions to Khon Kaen meet up with John Gooding and stayed in Khon Kaen Orchid Hotel, absolutely brilliant hotel for 550 baht a night, best value hotel I ever been to, recommended...

Day after we did a day trip in the area to the Dam, then up to Udon Thani and back with John which was a great ride really enjoyed that a lot.

We then returned to Rayong, and went to High Side Tours track riding school for 3 days. That was brilliant second day I managed to get my knee down on my FZ6 and ended up on the board, Trent followed the day after. If you ever want to hone skills and get a lot of new skills HST class is highly recommended if you use your own bike it's 4000 baht a day including track, meal and teaching. After that the trip ended, me and Trent last guys standing and had 5500 km on the clock. I am just sad it's over, can't wait for the next one.
HST.jpg

Cheers Bard