Trouble with Police

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Thanks for the good source Joko.
However it seems that there is still a bit of a grey area that could feed long talks by the side of the road with the guys in brown.
I read on the ASEAN website page under the "Land and transport" subtitle:
"The Agreement once implemented would enable ASEAN nationals with valid domestic driving licence to drive in any ASEAN country without having to secure local driving licence."

1) "once implemented"...
2) "would enable ASEAN nationals"... As farangs we are hardly "nationals" from the ASEAN country we are living in...

For more info I can't open the tables 1 and 2. It looks like the access has been restricted.

And if I sound like kicking the tyre please let me know....(':wink:')

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
Seems like checkpoints to verify vehicle ownership have become the current rage for the police. Now occurring in Pattaya. If they actually enforced it here, it probably remove 40% of the Thai motos from the streets...maybe even more if they also check for driving licenses! 8)

'...a warning to motorists who own a vehicle in Pattaya. They report that Police Major Siwagorn, based at the Highway Police office on Pattaya Sukhumvit Road, has announced that detailed checks on cars and motorbikes will now include checking for tax and insurance documents. Also, if a driver cannot prove they are the owner of the vehicle or have borrowed the vehicle from the owner, they will have the vehicle seized until proof of ownership is forthcoming.'

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
pee wrote: Thanks for the good source Joko.
However it seems that there is still a bit of a grey area that could feed long talks by the side of the road with the guys in brown.
I read on the ASEAN website page under the "Land and transport" subtitle:
"The Agreement once implemented would enable ASEAN nationals with valid domestic driving licence to drive in any ASEAN country without having to secure local driving licence."

1) "once implemented"...
2) "would enable ASEAN nationals"... As farangs we are hardly "nationals" from the ASEAN country we are living in...

For more info I can't open the tables 1 and 2. It looks like the access has been restricted.

And if I sound like kicking the tyre please let me know....(':wink:')
I was told that I could get the ASEAN license when I renew my Thai license and I believe it has been implemented. However you bring up a very good point in number 2) .

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Moto-Rex wrote: Rumor has it, that the Lao police in luang prabang, become very sad when seeing farangs on motorcycles riding around there historic town without wearing there helmets.

One respected source, will neither confirm or deny, that a very high ranking GT-Rider board member was nabbed for not protecting he's noggin just a few days ago.

We a wait confirmation.

Rex
Aha. Yes confirmed! And going up an unsign-posted one-way street the wrong way.Two offences & cost 36,000 kip without a receipt - I did not want to go to the police station.
For anyone else riding in LPQ, the riverside roads along the Nam Khan & Mekong rivers are now one-way "downstream," although you probably won't find a sign indicating this!

Dec 27, 2007
Hate to spread bad news or cause alarm but sounds like there is a new crack down underway by Customs Police in the Kindgom on imported motorbikes.

A number of shops have been raided and bikes seized recently. More info here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Heads-Up-Teera-Motorcycle-Phuket-t220013.html

Seems the days of riding unregistered bikes in the LOS may be coming to an end... But then I've not been here that long- perhaps this is just something that happens from time to time and then goes away?

I've been told that now that the JTEP Free Trade Agreement has been signed between Thailand and Japan the Japanese dealers are applying pressure on Thailand to crack down on grey market imports. It's seems Thailand is cooperating.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Happy Trails!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
TonyBKK wrote: Hate to spread bad news or cause alarm but sounds like there is a new crack down underway by Customs Police in the Kindgom on imported motorbikes.

A number of shops have been raided and bikes seized recently. More info here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Heads-Up-Teera-Motorcycle-Phuket-t220013.html

Seems the days of riding unregistered bikes in the LOS may be coming to an end... But then I've not been here that long- perhaps this is just something that happens from time to time and then goes away?

I've been told that now that the JTEP Free Trade Agreement has been signed between Thailand and Japan the Japanese dealers are applying pressure on Thailand to crack down on grey market imports. It's seems Thailand is cooperating.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Happy Trails!
Chiang Mai was done over a few weeks ago.

Dec 27, 2007
Hi David,

So- in your experience, do the Thai authorities usually just do a random crackdown and then things go back to 'normal'?

Some folks have been saying that these crackdowns are a sign of things to come, but I'm not so sure. What's your feeling on the matter?

Happy Trails!

Tony

Oct 17, 2006
The Japanese can hinder imports of new grey bikes under FTA under certain rules if there is an official inporter... but not second hand machines that would be illegal under FTA.