Oct 17, 2006
where can I get good motorcycle specific oil motul, mobil,putoline,bp etc,

other than Metzler, Bridgestone , Michelin tyres what else is available

such as continental,Avon,

jerry

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
I did some surfing on the oil subject some time ago.

Current wisdom is that synthetic diesel engine oil is the best bet for bikes. Shell Rotella (RIMULA in Thailand) would be a good choice as it readily available.

See Bumf below:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

http://www.micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

quote:

Can heavy-duty diesel oil be used in motorcycles?
Motorcycle gasoline engines may not seem in the same league as the big displacement diesel engine under your hood, but they share some of the same lubrication requirements. So yes, in many cases, a premium heavy-duty universal oil capable of serving both diesel and gasoline engines is the best choice for your bike.

The high power-to-displacement ratio of a motorcycle engine means rod and main bearings are subjected to loads that are not normally found in passenger car engines. The valve train is also highly loaded, and requires extreme pressure boundary lubrication. The same can be said about gears in the transmission, which are normally lubricated by engine oil. Oil additives containing phosphorus protect these highly loaded extreme pressure areas (in both gasoline and diesel engines). Because diesel engines have higher loading of components, more of the phosphorus-containing additive is present than in typical passenger car oils. And with advanced catalyst systems for gasoline engines, the phosphorus content has been declining in passenger car oils.

Since many bike engines are air-cooled, and tend to be operated at high power outputs and speeds, their lubricating oil needs to be more resistant to high temperature oxidation. That’s another advantage of a premium universal oil. Another thing you want in your motorcycle is oil that has excellent viscosity control, so that with use it retains high temperature viscosity. Some multiviscosity grade passenger car oils, subjected to extreme loads, can quickly thin out. Their viscosity can drop to the next lower grade.

One last thing to consider is whether oil contains friction modifier additives. For improved fuel economy, most passenger car oils have such an additive. But the wet clutch in your bike doesn’t perform right with friction modifiers. Universal engine oils don’t have friction modifiers.

Be careful choosing diesel oils. Not all of them are universal. In addition to the API Service Category CI-4 PLUS for diesels, look for API Service Category SL.

Premium universal oils like Shell ROTELLA® T Multigrade are formulated for heavy-duty performance, and your bike engine has some heavy-duty challenges for oil. For optimum performance, be sure your oil is up to the challenge.

Above from Shell website

Dunlop tires are available in BKK. I have the guys name but my server is currently down so cannot retrieve the tel. number. His name is Piroit. I'm sure he is one of the tire dealers in Chinatown.

wimpy

Jan 31, 2005
I use synthetic Shell Helix Diesel Ultra. About 1800 baht for 5 liters. As synthetic Rimula is unobtainable in Chiang Mai.

wimpy

Jan 31, 2005
Performance Specifications
Shell Helix Ultra exceeds the requirements of all major car manufacturers and the following industry
standards:
API SL/CF
ECI SAE 5W-40
ACEA A3-98, B3-98 & B4-98
Rover Registered
VW 500.00, 502.00, 505.00 (SAE 5W-40)
Japanese Engines Qualified
Porsche Approved
BMW Special Oils listing and Long life Oils listing (5W-40)
Peugeot-Citroen Meets requirements of PSA E-98 extended drain (level 2 for application)
Mercedes Benz Sheet 229.3
Ferrari Factory Fill and Sole Service Fill Recommendation

Oct 17, 2006
these oils are OK for Harleys we use pennzoil gold diesel here in Pattaya as HD say its ok but for Ducati, no way, currently I am using Mobil 1 but ! really want something motorcycle specific

jerry

wimpy

Jan 31, 2005
You should read the articles Mike linked above. I run this oil in my Suzuki 1000cc v-twin.