V-Rubber VRM 163?

Aug 20, 2013
Has anyone any experience with this tire as they seem remarkably cheap at on 4000bht for the set on a Versys. A guy on Advrider seems to rave about them. They are similar to the Pirelli MT60s Corsa which I have.

Wondering is it's worth buying a set as a spare?
20140825_205251.jpg

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
I know a couple of the big Chiang Mai Hire shops are putting them on the CB500X. They don't look quite right to me with the higher profile. I've spoken to a few Guys out on the road on hire bikes and they are happy with them but they haven't had Pirelli MT60 Corsa's to compare. That Tire does look right. I'd love to go with the corsa's but I understand they only last a couple of thousand Km's. I'm on 20+ thousand Km's on my current Scorpion Trails and my sensible side is saying stick with them .

Hopefully someone will have some actual riding experience on them. anyone who's rented a CB500X in CM from Tony's Big Bikes or POP will most likely have been using them.

The front Mud guard needs modifying slightly on the versys and cb500x to get them to fit. Maybe a Corsa on the front and a VRM 163 on the rear would be the way to go.
you'll have the undoubtedly better stopping power of the Corsa and they shouldn't wear too quickly and a long lasting Rear

Feb 5, 2007
There are 2 things that a rider should not try to save money on

Then again maybe this is the governments way to subsidize the rubber farmers!!

Apr 19, 2015
I was just researching this tire when I rented a CB500x from Pops and couldn't find any solid first-hand reviews. This is my first time on a CB 500x and the tires perform ok on pavement but they are great on some of the rougher soft dirt trails. The rear tire is fairly new and has not been properly scrubbed yet since I think most people who rented this moto before me, just took it around town. The tire is pretty tall for my liking on the CB 500x and I definitely had a few slides around the twisties with the new rubber. If you plan to do a decent amount of trail riding, this tire will do the job but it's not ideal for the windy mountain pavement. I haven't tried the Corsa before to compare however. I report back after I finish my loop back to Chiang Mai later this week.

Aug 20, 2013
Mystr Hatchet;304911 wrote: I was just researching this tire when I rented a CB500x from Pops and couldn't find any solid first-hand reviews. This is my first time on a CB 500x and the tires perform ok on pavement but they are great on some of the rougher soft dirt trails. The rear tire is fairly new and has not been properly scrubbed yet since I think most people who rented this moto before me, just took it around town. The tire is pretty tall for my liking on the CB 500x and I definitely had a few slides around the twisties with the new rubber. If you plan to do a decent amount of trail riding, this tire will do the job but it's not ideal for the windy mountain pavement. I haven't tried the Corsa before to compare however. I report back after I finish my loop back to Chiang Mai later this week.
We've just done a couple of days and my mate put them on his versys. Damn good tire actually but as you say no the best on tarmac but you'd be dumb not to adjust your riding style with these tires. Either way my mate had no problems with them.

I understand the poster above, but in fact it is the Pirelli which I have that are overpriced. I know people who have binned their Heidenau tires in favor of the V-Rubber.

Jul 3, 2014
V-Rubber are available in two compounds, one is for the local Thai market, is cheaper and has a harder compound (less sticky). The other compound is for export market and has a stickier compound, and naturally is more expensive. Easy to tell the two variations apart. The cheaper compound tyre is bare without wrapping, and the more expensive better compound tyre has the wrap as seen in the OP photo above.

BTW IIRC some big bike rental companies are adding the V-Rubber to the rear wheels only and not the front, while others are replacing rears and fronts as and when each needs replacing. Often this would be the rear first since rears usually have half the life of the front...