What is the longest ride you have ridden in LOS in one day

Oct 20, 2012
I have just been on another forum and a guy has quoted he rode 2500klms in just over 12 hours in Thailand on an R1
i don't want to have a post on bashing him
I personally don't think it's possible here but it got me interested
There are some hardcore riders on here who have clocked up the miles ,captain slash,John, Tony etc
The most I have achieved to date was 686 klms and my ass was sore,it was on my Versys
it would be interesting to know what klms/ miles you done and on what bike
There has to be be some tales to tell

Apr 16, 2011
The most that i have done in one day was Patong Beach to Center of Bangkok, It was mainly highway riding and a bit boring and around 900km, i have also ridden from Chiang Khong to Khon Kaen in one day which was also just over 900km and that ride was via Nan and along the Lao border via Dan Sai, that was a very interesting ride with many very enjoyable roads, I do recall that i was very knackered at the end of the ride.

All up o have done about 30km in 2 and a half years on 3 different bike throughout Thailand, and want to ride so much more. Can't wait to get back to LOS in the next 2 months time, then 3 month of riding on and off

As for the guy quoting that he rode 2500km in 12 hours that would be a average speed of about 208km/h, some how i find that very unlikely

Dec 27, 2007
Wonder if that's the same joker who got banned from GT-R for telling porkies and going postal when called out on it? :mrgreen:

2500 km in 12 hours is obviously a wind up. V=d/t. Simply impossible as it would require an AVERAGE speed of over 200kph for all 12 hours.

Sure there are a few roads where you can occasionally crack 300kph, but never for any great distance. You burn a lot of fuel at high speed so even on a race track with no stop lights, police checkpoints, u-turning trucks, livestock on the road etc you'd still need to make at least a dozen fuel stops.

My best time from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is 4 hours, and that was a white knuckle gas'n'go whack on a liter bike, leaving at the crack of dawn to beat the traffic, ignoring most traffic lights and with no police checkpoints. 700km in 4 hours gives an average speed of 175kph. No way in hell I could keep that pace for 12 hours!

My longest one-day ride in Thailand was a Bangkok-Pitsanulok-Khon Kaen-Bangkok loop that added up to about 1200 km and took a good 12 hours.

Here in North America we have the Iron Butt Association which is dedicated to safe, long-distance motorcycle endurance riding.

The toughest IBA ride you can do is 1500 miles (2400km) in 24 hours. Even with our coast to coast interstate highways not many have accomplished this feat. 2500 km in ~12 hours is laughable and obviously a pi$$-take :lol-sign:

Sep 4, 2007
Now I am lucky enough to live in Chiang Mai, I do not travel so many km as when I was living in Khon Kaen. There is just so much great riding up here, one day loops, two day loops etc. Never felt the need to do the km just for the sake of it, and it seems a great shame to travel through the lovely scenery and to never see more than the braking and turn in points on each corner.
I remember the first time I did KK to CM. It was in December 2007 and I was riding a VFR800 to visit Yamaha in CM to place an order for a new FJR1300. FJR not yet arrived in Thailand but due early in the New Year. So many KK people warned me about the difficulties of all the mountain ranges one had to cross to reach CM. So I planned a 2 day trip, staying in Pitsanolok over night. Left KK at 6am just getting light, got cold going over Nam Nao, but arrived in Lomsak just before 8am and Pitsanolok by 9.30am. Seen some nice views but missed the dangerous mountains somehow. Would have been silly to spend the night, so pressed on on mainly fast roads to CM. Got to Yamaha, met Khun Tam, ordered the bike, he also rang around and found a buyer for my VFR at a reasonable price, willing to wait for the FJR to arrive. So my first night in CM, less said the better, but a great trip. Next day back to KK, The route about 660km took about 7 hours up and 6 hours back when I knew the roads better, and knew where the fuel stations were, so less worry about running out in places like Nam Nao.
Since that time, I have done the CM KK trip and back more times than I could count, always the fastest trips when riding alone on bikes like the R1 or the S1000RR, the slowest trips on various 250,s, but even on a 250 I have always found it a pleasant day ride.
Sorry about the rambling and have not even answered the OP's question. My longest ride was CM to Rayong on the FZ8, about 950km, maybe a bit further than necessary but got lost trying to avoid the toll roads around BKK. Was thinking about a 2 day trip, but good travel conditions and an early start made it a comfortable ride in less than 10 hours. I have found that on a naked bike speeds up to 150 are comfortable and reasonably economical, above that too much wind and too many fuel stops. So I tend to balance the speed with the distance and make it a good day ride ensuring arrival in good time to get a hotel and avoid the possibility of travelling in the dark.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Longest ride for me was Chiang Mai - Hua Hin in 95 I think it was.
But the winner for me was always the Snail: Chiang Mai - Singapore in 24 hrs. He did it often, Chiang Mai - Hatyai non stop, then a 4 hr break waiting for the border to open, then Hatyai - Singapore non stop.

Oct 20, 2012
Davidfl;299956 wrote: Longest ride for me was Chiang Mai - Hua Hin in 95 I think it was.
But the winner for me was always the Snail: Chiang Mai - Singapore in 24 hrs. He did it often, Chiang Mai - Hatyai non stop, then a 4 hr break waiting for the border to open, then Hatyai - Singapore non stop.
Wow he is some Guy I have to stop after 4 hours
The Snail what a name

Jan 16, 2008
Longest ride, I have done in 1 go, Patong Beach - Buriram.

Left at 1900, arrived next morning at 0700.
BMW F650 GS

Jan 9, 2011
Lightemup;299962 wrote: Longest ride, I have done in 1 go, Patong Beach - Buriram.

Left at 1900, arrived next morning at 0700.
BMW F650 GS
Night time riding? What 's the distance?

Aug 7, 2003
Like most people it is how you want to ride not the Kms per day. I have a few bikes, CB750 many years ago Koh Samui to Korat including the ferry, one day. VFR800 Korat Phuket one day, back one day. XL600LM Phnom Phen to Korat 1992 one tank of gas , Banlung to PP one day on the old road, Some people can ride all day and keep their concentration, some can't. Some people have a plank for an **** some need a rest every few hours. At the end of the day , did you enjoy it ? Did you get some satisfaction ? did you have a good time? Each to their own. My belief is that the "average" rider will have a break when he feels he needs it, or the riding mate needs a cigarette, or the riding mate is a camera nut. By yourself it is your own game. What ever your poison, ride it.

Jul 25, 2010
Davidfl;299956 wrote: But the winner for me was always the Snail: Chiang Mai - Singapore in 24 hrs. He did it often, Chiang Mai - Hatyai non stop, then a 4 hr break waiting for the border to open, then Hatyai - Singapore non stop.
Well according to google maps that's 2,500 kms+. No mean feat in my book but twice the time of the fellow who was the inspiration of this thread.

Sep 16, 2009
Bangkok - Mae Sot - Umphang - Peung Kleung (Burma Border). Depart 5:00 AM arrive 7:00 PM. 950 km.

On a KLX250 dual sport... stock seat.

Dec 27, 2007
mikehohman;299973 wrote: Bangkok - Mae Sot - Umphang - Peung Kleung (Burma Border). Depart 5:00 AM arrive 7:00 PM. 950 km.

On a KLX250 dual sport... stock seat.
^ Now that's what I call an Iron Butt!! :mrgreen:

Oct 20, 2012
ronwebb;299971 wrote: Well according to google maps that's 2,500 kms+. No mean feat in my book but twice the time of the fellow who was the inspiration of this thread.
The chap has said it has been read wrong
15 hours 2200 films on an R1
I still think it's bollocks
But anyway it's an interesting thread
When I done 600 and odd klms it took me over 9 hours and I was exhausted
Some of these Thai roads rattled the back off me

Oct 16, 2011
My longest Sukhumvit 4 to sukhumvit 31 in peak hour traffic 5555
Probably have to say Viang Vieng to Bangkok was one of the longest...... did also have a CM-MHS stretch one day where we got caught in rain and arrived after dark.... that was NO fun. Done CM to Hua Him and few times .... BKK to CM in 5 hours a few times again like TonyBKK leave early and hammer it up there..

Jul 18, 2011
soi baukhoa in pattaya to ubon ratchatani in about 7 hours.
@ 700 k's with 900 hundred coffee/fuel stops .
@ 500 liters of fuel, she is thirsty when you push her, japanese manufactured , grey import, i think she is geared down as not the top end of an aussie version.

xjr 1300

rob

Jan 16, 2008
That was non stop?
I rode from Patong to Chaing Mai when I got my second 650 GS and had to stop in Nakon Sawan.
Only wanted to sleep for a couple of hours, turned out I woke up 12 hours later..

Sep 13, 2013
Sort of non stop. I only stopped for gas - many times because of the small tank on the scooter - and then I had to stop for 1-1½ hour just before dawn because the dew got stuck on my glasses so I couldn't see. At the break of dawn, I continued. Tried to sleep at the stop, but couldn't.

Mar 30, 2010
Have to agree with one or two of the other posters.. Really depends on the road / conditions and ride.

Chaing Mai to MHS with Rob and raining all afternoon in to the evening and getting in at 8pm with webbed hands and frozen to the bone.
Think we had 5 straight JD's at Cross Roads to get the body temperature up.

Longest with a break.. Picked up the Versys in Udon, over the Chiang mai, left the Versys with Nat at Piston Shop and rode the Ninja back to Bangkok.

Cheers
Brian

Sep 13, 2013
Lightemup;300015 wrote: That's pretty insane :)
I wasn't supposed to ride all the way. My plan was to take the train to Bangkok and then the train from Bangkok to Surat Thani. But they hadn't finished the repair of the tracks, so I decided to drive to Bangkok and then take the train from there. The drive was smooth, so as I got closer to Bangkok, I decided to just drive all the way.

I was a bit tired when I arrived in Patong, and the last couple of hours I certainly did not have an iron butt.