You're Famous - Need Some Help

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Captain Wally wrote:
I'm happy to rent from either but at the moment Mr Mechanic are getting all my business until Tony and Pikey get some ER6s .

The "customer relations" staff (eye candy) at Mr Mechanic is a factor but that is balanced by the ease of farang - farang communication at Tony's. I find telephone conversation with Mr Mechanic staff slightly difficult.

P.P.S. It's a pity that Mr Dodgy won't relate his experiences on here.
What, you saying this isn't the sort of thing that floats your boat???

DoiInthanon3Small.jpg

He got such positive comments at the time :lol-sign:

I've not rented from Tony's, 'cause they haven't had the bike I wanted... but I do like to sit down and talk shit with Tony or Pikey till it gets to the drinking hour... and I understand what you say about ease of communication on the phone... Even Thai's with the best spoken English are hard to deal with over the phone... no different for small shops or big companies (Budget rent a car)... If you can get someone who speaks English to work your end of the converstaion over the phone, it is much easier...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Jan 14, 2010
daewoo wrote:

What, you saying this isn't the sort of thing that floats your boat???

DoiInthanon3Small.jpg
Only Mr Bones could find that image attractive. :lol-sign:

I'm sure there will be no argument that the image below is 'slightly' more attractive to your average GT rider
songrkan2010_019.jpg

for those who don't know - Mr Bones is Pikey's dog

Aug 26, 2010
Davidfl wrote- There is a big rental shop with several outlets & a huge fleet of bikes that has not made his money from renting bikes, but other activities. This shop undercuts the other rental shops who are trying to make a genuine living from renting bikes. He maybe there now with a huge fleet, but he also may disappear over night or suddenly have an enforced holiday one day.
It appears the 'other activities' are fairly common knowledge which suggests the 'enforced holiday' might happen sooner than later...or is that just me being naive? :wink:

Thanks for your input and candid advice. It would be good to hear Mr Dodgy's story though.
I'd rather support the good guys even if the price is a little higher. I'm happy to look around on the first day to get something I'm comfortable with. Fingers crossed I get something reliable because I love riding bikes but have no patience (or skill) when it comes to fixing them :thumbdown: Sounds like back-up service is a phone call away.

Are pre-paid Thai moblie phones pretty cheap?

At the end of the day whatever happens all contirbutes to the adventure and adds colour to the beer fueled stories told on return! :lol:

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
stonevedder wrote:
Are pre-paid Thai moblie phones pretty cheap?
Do you mean phones or just the pre-paid SIM card???

I always buy "Happy" SIM which if for the DTAC network... According to my mates who built networks for all of the oppertators, DTAC has the best coverage...

You can buy it from the bookshop in Suvanbhumi Airport, or any 7/11... 99baht including some calls, and then recharge at any 7/11...

Don't know about phones...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Pounce

Jan 31, 2010
We were there last January & Mick picked up a cheap phone for about $30 Aus.
Called his wife every night in Aus no problems using 1 2 Call or whatever it was.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
stonevedder wrote: I did mean both. My phone is currently locked.

Cheers
SV
Ahhh khao jai...

I am sure that pre-paid phones will be available for aboot the same price as Aus... then get it unlocked so you can use it back in Australia... or, get your Aus phone unlocked cheap in Thailand and buy a pre-paid sim for it...

@ CM Locals,
Phantip Plaza in Chiang Mai is the Tech Mall, same as in BKK right???

Daewoo

Jan 14, 2010
daewoo wrote: @ CM Locals,
Phantip Plaza in Chiang Mai is the Tech Mall, same as in BKK right???

Daewoo
I'm not a local but yes, Pantip plaza is a tech mall. There's also almost an entire floor of mobile phone shops at Kad San Keaw shopping centre. I'd be very surprised if they couldn't unlock a phone for a small fee.

The last few times I've entered Thailand there have been attractive young ladies in the airport baggage collection area giving away Tru Move sim cards. Always worked well for me and O/S calls are as cheap as chips. 1 baht / min for fair/poor quality VOIP type calls or 6 baht / min for good quality calls.

Aug 26, 2010
Thanks Pounce, Capt.Wally and Daewoo
I'll take the phone and get it unlocked (didn't realise you could do that). I'm sure it will be cheaper than here! I really like the sound of attractive young ladies giving shit away too :thumbup:

SV

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
stonevedder wrote: Thanks Pounce, Capt.Wally and Daewoo
I'll take the phone and get it unlocked (didn't realise you could do that). I'm sure it will be cheaper than here! I really like the sound of attractive young ladies giving shyte away too :thumbup:

SV

I buy all my phones at Airport Plaza 3rd floor.
As a general rule the phone shops at Airport Plaza are more reputable than at Kad Suan Kaew.
A recommended phone shop for unlocking phones is
1009953532_G29Yx-M.jpg