Kawasaki Versys is here

Nov 7, 2007
Sorry no pic but I just got nice black hand guards for bht 750 ex. Installation. As a bonus, they have LED lights built in. Being not much of a tool man I had Kawa CM install them at the 6k service.

FYI if you think that 3,500 - 5,000 is too much for hand guards. IMO the cheapies look much better than most 3rd party guards I've seen. They are plain black and have no large logo on them, a plus in my book. LEDs are white.

Jan 8, 2011
I just returned from Phuket where I rented a Versys from 650Adventuretours for 3 days. I decided not to rent a bike BangkokBikesRental because they didn't have 1st Class insurance on their bikes. Their contract stated that if the bike was damaged, the renter would be responsible for all expenses up to 250,000 baht. That was a bit too much risk for me.

So I contacted David and May at 650Adventuretours and they told me they had 1st class insurance. I had some vacation time, so I decided to fly to Phuket and try out their bike.

I had a wonderful time. David provided me with excellent instructions on how to get to their place. May was extremely helpful. One day I rode from Patong to Khao Lak and back and the next day from Patong to Krabi and back. The scenery was beautiful.

As for the bike, it was excellent. It reminded me of my old Honda CB750F from 30 years ago. My only complaint about a stock bike like this is that the windshield isn't big enough to cover a big guy like me. At higher speeds, the wind is just too much. But that is easy to fix with an aftermarket windshield.

All in all, I am 99% sure I will be purchasing my own Versys in the near future.

So if you want to ride a Versys before you buy one, I would highly recommend going to Phuket and getting one from 650AdventureTours. It is well worth the experience; the scenery and the bike are great! I would recommend always checking about insurance when you rent an expensive bike. You may be a great driver, but not everyone on the road is. :)

Thomas

TonyBKK;265007 wrote: Bangkok Bike Rent has a Versys for rent in Bangkok.

Link:http://www.bangkokbikesrental.com/

Happy Trails!

Tony
KhaoKho39.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Hey, so I've had a couple inquiries about whether the Ninja 650R / ER6n race rearsets will fit on the Versys, so finally made some time to check it out-

Sorry to report that the RH mounting points on the Versys are NOT the same as on the 2009+ Ninja 650R / ER6n.

Left side bolts on no problem:

IMG_1074ssr.jpg

(Rainy season here in Thailand- please forgive the filthy bike :mrgreen:)

Right side with stock stay removed:
IMG_1076ssr.jpg

The distance between mounting points on the Versys is 5 1/2 inches:
IMG_1077ssr.jpg

The distance between the mounting points on the 2009+ Ninja 650R / ER6n is 5 7/8 inch.

So it's close, but won't fit:
IMG_1079ssr.jpg

I believe the older generation 650R / ER6n shares the same right side mounting points with the Versys. If they do, then one could use older generation rearsets on their Versys.

I may see if I can have a set custom made for my bike, just for fun. (don't worry- they will NOT be GOLD! :lol:) Will post pics if/when I get them done.

Ride On!

Tony

kifkif

May 24, 2010
Nordman;267901 wrote: I just returned from Phuket where I rented a Versys from 650Adventuretours for 3 days. I decided not to rent a bike BangkokBikesRental because they didn't have 1st Class insurance on their bikes. Their contract stated that if the bike was damaged, the renter would be responsible for all expenses up to 250,000 baht. That was a bit too much risk for me.

So I contacted David and May at 650Adventuretours and they told me they had 1st class insurance. I had some vacation time, so I decided to fly to Phuket and try out their bike.

I had a wonderful time. David provided me with excellent instructions on how to get to their place. May was extremely helpful. One day I rode from Patong to Khao Lak and back and the next day from Patong to Krabi and back. The scenery was beautiful.

As for the bike, it was excellent. It reminded me of my old Honda CB750F from 30 years ago. My only complaint about a stock bike like this is that the windshield isn't big enough to cover a big guy like me. At higher speeds, the wind is just too much. But that is easy to fix with an aftermarket windshield.

All in all, I am 99% sure I will be purchasing my own Versys in the near future.

So if you want to ride a Versys before you buy one, I would highly recommend going to Phuket and getting one from 650AdventureTours. It is well worth the experience; the scenery and the bike are great! I would recommend always checking about insurance when you rent an expensive bike. You may be a great driver, but not everyone on the road is. :)

Thomas

Dear Thomas,
I'm Franck ,running BANGKOK BIKES RENTAL since 2009 in BKK.

To all our fellow riders who rent bikes in thailand,pleaseeee pay attention to what kind of bul@s*it renters says about their insurance coverage policies,there is none of us who can propose 1st class insurance under rental condition!!!
I've been looking,sourcing, searching locally and abroad to get that "1st class" for almost 3 years now,unfortunatly brokers ,insurers aren't ready and interesting to propose this service in land of smile yet...

Thomas ,you're right ,the bike you have rented is covered "1st class" BUT private use ONLY, i presume you signed a contract ? you pay a rental fee right ?
So you have use their bike under commercial or rental purpose call it as you want ...
When the insurance company agent come to report your claim on the accident's spot or wherever with his small honda click,he will first try to know who you are if you are not the bike owner...then you're all done ...
Believe me these insurance companies began to sue a lot of these "renters" ,they won't give a satang back if they have a doubt, lessors like you who thought they were well covered finally paid for whole damages ...

Yes at BBR you get only third class insurance policy from an international carrier wich pay back
up to 5millions bahts for third property damages or bodily injury BUT everything is on order,and we support our costumers in case of problems.

Stay safe

Nov 7, 2007
Franck, maybe you need to give David and May a call before calling them liars? You might learn something.

A Thai friend of mine was stopped at an intersection when an Israeli teenager who was on a bike for the first time in his life didn't make the corner and just crashed into the driver side door. Some damage to the bike, car, and the boy. Guess what - the guy had wisely taken insurance (dirt cheap for the scooter). And the insurance paid for both the damage on the bike and the car. I know this because it took a while to jump through all the hoops, get to the insurer's preferred mechanic and so on. The point is: Bike insurance works. Even for rental bikes.

kifkif

May 24, 2010
Hi Nikster,bikes insurance works,agreed.I was pointed"1st class" as the OP has reported.

Anyway thanks your advise Nikster.Our Staff did get in touch with them few months ago to set up a kind of partnership Bkk-Phuket... but it cant works.Guess why...

Low costs scooters,easier to be covered but not "1st class",property damages from scooters are rarely worth than 1ook bahts (gov' numbers)
About bodies injuries?
They might setted up a max. of nothing as the gov' insurance "polobor" will cover third party injuries up to 50k max.,nothing for the bike if i remember...Either nothing as well from the pocket's insurer about injuries.
No need to talk about thieft,burn...

It seems to me a basic third class with a small premium with poor remboursements,easy to find around.

I'm wondering if the broker will decide to choose the Mechanic for both,the 200kg Versys wrecked trough your friend's car...

Regards
Franck

Sep 4, 2007
kifkif;269229 wrote: Hi Nikster,bikes insurance works,agreed.I was pointed"1st class" as the OP has reported.

Anyway thanks your advise Nikster.Our Staff did get in touch with them few months ago to set up a kind of partnership Bkk-Phuket... but it cant works.Guess why...

Low costs scooters,easier to be covered but not "1st class",property damages from scooters are rarely worth than 1ook bahts (gov' numbers)
About bodies injuries?
They might setted up a max. of nothing as the gov' insurance "polobor" will cover third party injuries up to 50k max.,nothing for the bike if i remember...Either nothing as well from the pocket's insurer about injuries.
No need to talk about thieft,burn...

It seems to me a basic third class with a small premium with poor remboursements,easy to find around.

I'm wondering if the broker will decide to choose the Mechanic for both,the 200kg Versys wrecked trough your friend's car...

Regards
Franck
Trying to understand your points, but I am afraid not at all clear. Would you like to try explain again in simple English

Dec 27, 2007
263834_10150657558620710_508210709_19400682_516097  1_n.jpg

Kawasaki yesterday put on a fantastic off road clinic for Versys owners-
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150657737780710

Over 30 Versys showed up-
269012_10150657471665710_508210709_19399513_784792  7_n.jpg

Some great instructors from the Siam Enduro Club and Khun Bai from Dirtshop-
263067_10150657484800710_508210709_19399699_212817  5_n.jpg

While the Versys is a big heavy bike, I was impressed to see that with proper skills and technique it can tackle some pretty rough terrain-
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150658509740710

Practicing the proper way to pick up such a bike is always a good idea, especially when it's not your bike lying on its side ;-)
260267_10150657579045710_508210709_19400895_405841  _n.jpg

Lift with your legs!
270470_10150657578555710_508210709_19400890_256816  0_n.jpg

Over the course of the day there were a few Versys that had to be picked up ;)

There was also one brave Ninja 650R in the mix:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150658495670710

As a complete off road noob I still need a LOT of practice, but by the end of the course I felt a lot more confident about taking my Versys on terrain that I previously would have avoided.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150658757490710

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150658760325710

Let the Good Times ROLL!

264555_10150657475680710_508210709_19399570_819172  6_n.jpg

Thanks Kawasaki!!!
KawasakiSmiley2.jpg

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Thank You Tony for the report, would have loved to see it ... But I am in Spain now just dreaming about a ride every time a see two wheels. Renting a BM here is 120 Euro a day ... And not worth for a short ramble.

Dec 27, 2007
Some more Versys pics-
258774_1992864773776_1008117020_31845669_5278930_o.jpg

270601_10150224998412976_715952975_7086173_68232_n.jpg

The area where this took place is called "Bo Din" and it's a huge plot of empty land next to a big reservoir / lake in Minburi, Bangkok.
p8hellpot.jpg

Apparently anyone is welcome to go out there and ride-
BoDinMap.png

Here are the GPS coordinates: 13.881675,100.796978

And a Google Maps link: http://maps.google.c...4787&num=1&z=15

Even though it's technically still in Bangkok it's really remote- I recommend going with a friend just in case you have an accident or mechanical issue and need help.

I'd really like to get back out there and practice some more so if anyone is interested please drop me a line and I'll see you there!

Happy Trails!

Tony
258059_1993479349140_1008117020_31846961_7308246_o.jpg

Nov 7, 2007
^^ nice going Tony :) maybe I'll do that on my next set of tires, I was thinking about the MT60s... the super corsas probably wouldn't be too happy there...

Because this recently came up - isn't the ABS a problem in the dirt? That's what all the dirt bikers say... you have to slide the rear... just wondering how that works on the Versys.

Dec 27, 2007
nikster;269324 wrote: ^^ nice going Tony :) maybe I'll do that on my next set of tires, I was thinking about the MT60s... the super corsas probably wouldn't be too happy there...

Because this recently came up - isn't the ABS a problem in the dirt? That's what all the dirt bikers say... you have to slide the rear... just wondering how that works on the Versys.

Cheers Nikster,

Yes, taking an ABS equipped bike offroad requires some different technique than a non ABS equipped bike. To be perfectly honest I didn't understand most of the technical points in Thai and since I'm a noob to dirt I can't really tell you what the differences are between ABS and non ABS on dirt, but I gained a lot of confidence thanks to this course and can't wait to get out and practice some of what I learned to become more confident off the blacktop.

My Bridgestone Battlax BT021's are about ready to be replaced and I'm going to try a set of Pirelly Scorpion Trails next as they've received rave reviews as a tire that can do it all.

Happy Trails!

Tony
dsc_4516.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
KZ;269330 wrote: Nice pix, who took them?

Most of these pics were taken by Khun Champ and Khun Narong. They are a pair of photographers who show up at nearly every bike event and post their pictures on assorted Thai forums.

These pics were taken by the same guys-
Bira6FebTonyGixxerSSR.jpg

225572_10150191875117976_715952975_6800175_3932083_n.jpg

They've got some skills!

Ride On!

Tony

Nov 21, 2010
I tried to see on the pic who are still using the Dunlops on their Versys .... since my last encounter with mud in Khao Yai I want to change my tyres soon. But having my doubts between the Pirelly Scorpion Trails or the MT60 RS Corsa (the latter might be a bit overdone for an Versys.

I did watch some Youtube clips of the event and saw some rear-wheel-sliding-Versys and almost thinking that some people took out the ABS-fuse (so ABS is not working anymore).

Chang Noi

Dec 27, 2007
Changnoi1;269347 wrote: I tried to see on the pic who are still using the Dunlops on their Versys .... since my last encounter with mud in Khao Yai I want to change my tyres soon. But having my doubts between the Pirelly Scorpion Trails or the MT60 RS Corsa (the latter might be a bit overdone for an Versys.

I did watch some Youtube clips of the event and saw some rear-wheel-sliding-Versys and almost thinking that some people took out the ABS-fuse (so ABS is not working anymore).

Chang Noi
MT60's are awesome if you're going to be off road a lot. If riding mostly on pavement they'll be done after only 6000-7000 km

So, if you think you'll be riding more onroad than off I think the Scorpion Trail might be a better choice.

FYI, the ABS on Versys and EX650 only works if you are going over 5kph. Slower than that you can indeed lock up the wheels on your ABS equipped Versys and EX650.

Ride On!

Tony

Jul 25, 2010
Any comments on MT90's which I understand as being 80% on road and 20% off? By comparison, I am told that the MT60's are 70% on road, 30% off. Or Metzler Tourance perhaps?

Dec 27, 2007
Nov 21, 2010
TonyBKK;269350 wrote: MT60's are awesome if you're going to be off road a lot. If riding mostly on pavement they'll be done after only 6000-7000 km

So, if you think you'll be riding more onroad than off I think the Scorpion Trail might be a better choice.

FYI, the ABS on Versys and EX650 only works if you are going over 5kph. Slower than that you can indeed lock up the wheels on your ABS equipped Versys and EX650.

Ride On!

Tony
Did not think of it about the ABS but you are right, it is actually written in some manual that I once did read about the Versys.

I had MT60's on my XT250x which was great in the sand, MT60 RS Corsa should be a bit different as the MT60. But then again with the much bigger bike like the Versys I will probably not do things like I did with my XT250x. So I will probably soon make a trip to Pat & Charlie in BKK to get Scorpion Trails for the bike.

Chang Noi

Fatlad

Nov 27, 2010
I am on my third MT60 RS Corsa rear now, as Tony said they last 6000/6500km the front MT60 has lasted 14000km, and this is thrashing the old girl on both the dirt and the tar seal. Bloody great tyre bit pricey and stick like sh_t to a blanket.
Been looking on other forums to find a way to be able to switch the ABS off when on the gravel, had to many hairey moments when travelling fast on the dirt and you cannot wipe speed off because the bloody ABS has cut in which makes going round the corner exciting to much, if the ABS was disconnected you can steer the bike using the rear brake.

Dec 27, 2007
Fatlad;269369 wrote: I am on my third MT60 RS Corsa rear now, as Tony said they last 6000/6500km the front MT60 has lasted 14000km, and this is thrashing the old girl on both the dirt and the tar seal. Bloody great tyre bit pricey and stick like sh_t to a blanket.
Been looking on other forums to find a way to be able to switch the ABS off when on the gravel, had to many hairey moments when travelling fast on the dirt and you cannot wipe speed off because the bloody ABS has cut in which makes going round the corner exciting to much, if the ABS was disconnected you can steer the bike using the rear brake.

Dear Fatlad,

Do let us know if you figure out an easy way to switch the ABS on and off on your Versys.

I know that some of the guys who are racing ABS equipped Ninja 650R's and ER6n's simply pull a couple fuses under the seat- one for the sensors the other for the pump. Of course this doesn't allow you to switch your ABS back on without pulling over and replacing the fuses. I'm no electrician but imagine it wouldn't be terribly complicated to add a switch to these circuits which would allow you to turn them on or off at the flick of a button?

If anyone knows how to do this mod I'd be happy to volunteer my Versys as a test bike.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Nov 21, 2010
TonyBKK;269382 wrote: Dear Fatlad,

Do let us know if you figure out an easy way to switch the ABS on and off on your Versys.

I know that some of the guys who are racing ABS equipped Ninja 650R's and ER6n's simply pull a couple fuses under the seat- one for the sensors the other for the pump. Of course this doesn't allow you to switch your ABS back on without pulling over and replacing the fuses. I'm no electrician but imagine it wouldn't be terribly complicated to add a switch to these circuits which would allow you to turn them on or off at the flick of a button?

If anyone knows how to do this mod I'd be happy to volunteer my Versys as a test bike.

Happy Trails!

Tony
You found the 3 fuses under your seat already but if not ......
RTFM and you know that under your seat are indeed the fuses for your ABS. Just run a wire from the correct fuse to your handlebar and add a switch. Might not be the most beautiful way to do it but it will work.

Chang Noi

Fatlad

Nov 27, 2010
269400=4082-SAM_0550.jpg

269400=4081-SAM_0549.jpg

Well done the mod to switch the ABS off today and everything works Ok even with it switched off.
Used a SW Motech light switch that came with my driving lamps as i hard wired these into the bike so they were on all the time i was driving.
Ran the spliced wire for the ABS through a relay as they are pretty chunky wires with a 20A fuse, i feel better for the switch rather than a large current running through it when the ABS cuts in.
So all happy now, and you have the ABS warning light on when its switched off, just in case you forget.
So when it ceases raining i am out for a spin

Nov 21, 2010
@Fatlad ... the man of quick action! That is what I thought but indeed I had not think of the high current being on the fuses .. 20A!!! so an relay is in its place here.

Now check if the ABS is indeed not working anymore!

Chang Noi