The Balkans, late 2015 on my old XT600E (Arrunya)

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Once I had been passed there I went untowards Gornji Vakuf via some really weird looking stones and Bistrica. I did find some information on the internet about them but can not find it now

The Stones are really odd and have very strange markings on them, they are called Stećaks

WBhYqGNl.jpg

CDVMEcMl.jpg

00L36JIl.jpg

QkPkA8xl.jpg

kB5jhY1l.jpg

hHR4Zzbl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Bistrica, a place close to my heart. It was where I came across a family whose grandmother had been shot by a sniper whilst she was working the field to the rear of the house. Every time the family went to try and help here the sniper stopped them. It was dark by the time they managed to get to her and she was dead. We went on a routine patrol the following day and visited the village and got talking to the family and they told use the story and seeing the grandmother laid out on a stretcher was not good. I was the first and only time I shed a tear in the conflict. All they wanted use to do was guard them whilst they buried her. Which we did and the family was very grateful.

rg6fpC2l.jpg

Vu5Pn1jl.jpg

SEr4Zhyl.jpg

A monument to the dead from the village

I also took the photo below in 93 and took another with the bike parked in the same spot give or take a couple of feet today

K9Hgk8ml.jpg

IM0FIEil.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
From there I was into Gornji Vakauf (GV). This was the place where I based was for 6 months in 93, it was good to see a normal live going on with cafe bars all over the place and people milling about doing there thing. Oh times have changed….GV was a very busy area back in 93 with lots of indiscriminate killing, tanks were in the area and artillery and motor fire hit the town and our camp every now and again. Also every day and night there would be exchanges of gun fire between the separate groups in the town and lots of ethic cleansing from all sides. It was a busy old 6 months.

Gornji Vakuf-Uskoplje - Wikipedia

The Old Base is still there and you can even see the UN sign on the wall of the building if you look carefully

rpyUTvTl.jpg

47EUblol.jpg

Vbkr5lIl.jpg

NI7FHlLl.jpg

On my way in to GV there is still scaring from the War

B4qZWCml.jpg

4zZRPtPl.jpg

bqeJwqFl.jpg

Looking towards Wayne Edwards Bridge

WnH0ym4l.jpg

From the otherside

Cr48qG8l.jpg

A couple of photos from the town

noWeZ0kl.jpg

66S1H2Bl.jpg

syn2rr0l.jpg

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
My route was to take me firstly to Vitez, I had only been there once as part of the UN in 93 as it was another part of my old Battalions area. But it was on my so I stopped off and had a brew. Also had a ride round and took some video with the Go-Pro.

From Vitez I went to Nova Travnik T (as we called it), it was a T junction near to Nova Travnik and it was the scene of trouble when I was there. A convoy (which we named the Convoy of Joy due to what it was carrying) which had already been through Gornji Vakuf was stopped at this point and quite a lot of people were dragged out of the vehicles and killed and the convoy was ransacked. Been there as the UN your main job is to observe and not to be seen to be getting involved with a particular side. But seeing this it did not take long for members of my old Battalion to intervene. It made the news for several days after it had happened. I didn’t take photos out of respect.

Wow, that's amazing and sad.

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 18 Balkans Trip

The route today was from Prozor to somewhere before Mostar.
It started off good and ended good with a bit of a twist in the early stages.

It took me about 45 mins to get out of Prozor because I was trying to find a bank to use the ATM and all the main street was having road works done. Talk about traffic congestion it was manic. Eventully found a bank my 3rd run through the town. Then it was fuel and I was off.

Day 18 Prozor to near Mostar

I didn’t want to take the main roads so I had plotted a route through the middle of no where…and it sure was. In some places it was very barren and others were forestry blocks. It was a good ride.

E2YOJPzl.jpg

dGZEmbwl.jpg

As I left Prozor I rode around Lake Ramsko and in the middle is the Island of Sćit with a Monastery on it. I forgot it was there until I was well around the other side

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsko_lake_(Bosnia_and_Herzegovina)

9SsR7Txl.jpg

isQdi9Kl.jpg

habAH9ql.jpg

Taken from the Dam

76pPZVIl.jpg

The other side of the Dam

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
jBO5aOjl.jpg

C4CMRJbl.jpg

V3uSiyNl.jpg

bCghvaql.jpg

lGCsJD1l.jpg

As I continued with my journey I came across a Shrine N43.69696 E17.53280 which was towards the edge of the forestry block, but it was in the middle of no where. I could not see what it was for.

9OVuvyDl.jpg

sJsGsrCl.jpg

As I left there the twist happened, N43.69657 E17.53327. I had only ridden about 100 yards from getting back on the bike after taking the photos of the shrine and I ended up in some loose gravel, not good, the front washed out from underneath me, I tried to keep the bike rubber down but it wasn’t having none of it, down I went on the left side, the left pannier ended up on my foot, the boots work! So after I had prised myself from under the bike, I picked it up, it was heavy but not as bad as I thought it would have been. On close inspection I have put a big dint in the bottom left corner of the pannier, and pushed it in where it attaches to the frame, I also think the frame has moved but cant be sure.
I got on the bike to ride off to find that the bars had twisted in the fork clamps, or thats what I hoped, Yes they had. So a few hard knocks on the opposite lock sorted that out. Time to move on.

4KzCEAql.jpg

XlWGsSol.jpg

K6HUWJGl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Next up on the unpaved road I came across some more of those Stones N43.66331 E17.54271, these were more tomb shaped than the others I saw the other day.

pQhm7rIl.jpg

J8YfI5Ql.jpg

Dpw1iNdl.jpg

wy4W9NIl.jpg

jwMvIm7l.jpg

sxemUeQl.jpg

5QmlZzHl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
A few miles down the road from the stones the unpaved road went to paved again and there were really long sweeping bends on it. It was good to be back on the tarmac. I also went passed another Lake, Lake Blininje
I stopped at this little village which had a small supermarket, with a cafe attached to it at N43.54550 E17.41024 and had a Kava before pushing on to some Waterfalls I wanted to visit.

gEjbD4Yl.jpg

9H8hZAJl.jpg

AqKNPvDl.jpg

WF0L7JGl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Next up was the Kravice Waterfalls N43.15641 E17.60898, I thought they were better than the other falls I visited. They were also a lot easier to get there, no heart attack mountain to climb…thankfully. It was a five minute walk from where I left the bike. I had a nice Kava before I left the area.

Kravice Waterfalls

4SQnnhbl.jpg

SXngvHal.jpg

ldNsV3Nl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Once I left the Waterfall I had one more thing to see before I went to find somewhere to sleep, Pocitelj Castle N43.13303 E17.73093. On the outskirts of Pocitelj I met and got talking to a rider from Austria on a GS1200, he was just out day riding from where he was stopping. Had a natter for about 20 mins before he went towards Mostar and I continued pottering about.

jaXnz4El.jpg

OANYft5l.jpg

aEpo8n8l.jpg

hTuXCSRl.jpg

The plan was to wild camp tonight, but I didn’t find anywhere which suited me so I ended up in a Motel on the road to Mostar.

Short journey tomorrow, booked a room for £26 for 3 nights in Mostar, which is my last stop in Bosnia before heading to Kotor in Montenegro

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 19 Balkans Trip

Just a sort trip of about 10 mile this morning to get into Mostar.

Had a steady ride in and went to find where I will be staying. As I was early I went for a bit of a ride around the town before finding a Cafe for some fruit tea.

Got settled into the room. It is not as good as the last place I stayed in but its clean and for £7 a night you can not complain. Most importantly Arrunya is in a garage out of the way.
I am going to try and get the left pannier of tomorrow. The biggest worry is that it won’t go back on. But I need to check the pannier frame in more detail, just to make sure its not cracked and also try and straighten the top of the case out as the lid doesn’t fit properly now so its not waterproof and the last think I need is a wet Mac Air.

Some views from on the way into Mostar

p6oc6gyl.jpg

mNAu5gFl.jpg

iPpTyIZl.jpg

hpHyy8Ul.jpg

mRIqxSvl.jpg

The Room

yqAilV0l.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 20 Balkans Trip

Stay local and on foot today.
Had a walk into the old town and into the newer part of town.
Where ever you go in the town there is still a lot of scaring from the War. The old bridge is looking good after the renovation.

Mostar - Wikipedia

The Old Town

v8IG4EBl.jpg

fHtOGpNl.jpg

WED1LXNl.jpg

kyQsbuSl.jpg

YI8KnqWl.jpg

1xfmQmjl.jpg

eCvTQw4l.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Still a lot of scaring from the War mixed in with the normal everyday life. Apart from this reminder it is hard to imagine this was a besieged town. It has a great Adriatic feeling about it

sCA1pNPl.jpg

PN637Crl.jpg
r

Ksrrisll.jpg

FlWzduvl.jpg

smRYUEXl.jpg

Also took the panniers off today, the pannier frame looks intact after my off and although the left pannier is a bit twisted at the top it came off and went back on ok. I don't want to make it any worse so it can wait to get sorted properly once I am back in the UK. Just hope it doesn't rain as it won't be very water tight now

Tomorrow I am going for a ride around and hoping to visit Blagaj 10km south of Mostar and source off the river Buna.

La7QSUwl.jpg

sNNSoDkl.jpg

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 21 Balkans Trip

Today I went to Buna N43.25678 E17.90258
The Buna is a short river in Bosnia and Herzegovina; it is a left bank tributary of the Neretva. Its source (Vrelo Bune), a strong karstic spring, is near the village Blagaj, southeast of Mostar. Actually, it is best known by famous Buna Spring (Vrelo Bune), one of the strongest spring in Europe and extremely cold water. The Buna flows west for approximately 9 km, starts at Blagaj and meandering through villages Blagaj, Kosor, Malo Polje, Hodbina and joins the Neretva at Buna village. The Bunica river is main left bank tributary of the Buna.

BH Tourism - Blagaj - Buna

lVyUqnXl.jpg

ZGc40jTl.jpg

xgy3u5Sl.jpg

Ep7sYTsl.jpg

qDH0vTBl.jpg

rsa0on0l.jpg

9AboeDHl.jpg

It was a nice place to visit and to sit and relax just listening to the water.

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
I then had a steady ride back to Mostar and went into the town

Some photos from the way back to Mostar

jhTEjQFl.jpg

qSr6IWvl.jpg

cQJMB07l.jpg

sC9b3tyl.jpg

h4AWE8Il.jpg

Tomorrow I am making tracks into Montenegro and I hope I have plotted my route to take in the old road to Trebinje

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 22 Balkans Trip

I set off from Mostar with no real idea of where I would end up. All I did know is that I was making my was towards Kotor in Montenegro.

Day 22 Mostar to near Kotor

I had a great day riding. I thought I had plotted the old road to Trebinje
but it turned into a really bad track which I was not willing to tackle on my own with a heavy bike so I turned round and went back to the main road. Initially the track was ok but then it turned into sloppy mud, that was the point I turned around. It was not worth the risk by myself.

4XkeTUQl.jpg

KDycSR7l.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
The roads were great for most of the time. Great long bends and some super scenery.
Early on the route I came across some more of the stones just on the outskirts of Stolac N43.09230 E17.92423. Some were fenced off and the others across the road were not.

3J43eFLl.jpg

BgFQYrFl.jpg

djNte13l.jpg

ITPzl5cl.jpg

97yQuORl.jpg

[
CWE6HSzl.jpg

An old Fort in Stolac

lSJJRsol.jpg

Monument in Stolac

Lk0ddChl.jpg

GC7NU36l.jpg

ErgWmXLl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
I stopped at a 14th Century Church, which was nice. It was just at the side of the road on the outskirts of Trebinje. Once in Trebinje I stopped for a good long break after I had found a nice place in the town centre. A couple of coffees were in order.

RuL6W0Ll.jpg

CuV4frLl.jpg

y7cOGCIl.jpg

YpyKADsl.jpg

PJvuBaRl.jpg

1IoKWvLl.jpg

XYS3QUQl.jpg
r

vkSV9ykl.jpg

taDeVF9l.jpg

A4iEOAPl.jpg

ccpFvIyl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
From there I went towards the border crossing. On the way there I went passed a fair sized lake. Bilecko Lake. I was a nice area to ride as the road was good.

FRWkB0Gl.jpg

1P9EnLzl.jpg

3j2Lam7l.jpg

nO60wAGl.jpg

K3jOoMll.jpg

Found this about 4.5 mile from the border in Bileca

I crossed the Bosnia/Montenegro Border at N42.86163 E18.47958. Leaving Bosnia was a breeze, they didn’t even want to stamp me out even though I asked. I was stamped in. Strange.

6je86lKl.jpg

A sneaky shot of the Bosnia Border CP

Then it was about 300m in no mans land to the Montenegro Border control. There the guy asked for my passport, which he got, then he asked for my vehicle documents. So I pulled the bike over and got them out. I gave him my V5 (registration document). He was typing away on the computer. Then he asked for my green card which I didn’t have. He called for his mate who was in another booth. He spoke good English and he told me I would have to buy insurance. So I bought some insurance at the border control area, 20 Euro for 15 days.
So half an hour later I was back on the road. No stamp into the country?.

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Welcome to Montenegro

The road started of really bad and worn, it would have been better if it was a fully unpaved road rather than what it was. But after a few miles it went into a great road with lots of long sweeping bends and wonderfully scenery.
It was a really good ride towards Kotor.

uI07aUjl.jpg

TLdqcbll.jpg

4HtSm9Yl.jpg

3zs7wOVl.jpg

My first view of the Bay of Kotor and the Adriatic

eJuwiK4l.jpg

IInvgXhl.jpg

muKjiWal.jpg

GjIH17vl.jpg

I ended up stopping in a Hotel in Perast and had to take out a small mortgage to pay for it 60 Euro, after coming from Bosnia I nearly fell through the floor, Ouch. I hope its not going to be this expensive all the time. But it may well be as it is back to using the Euro again.

rFtD1Vyl.jpg

Stuffed Squid

Hotel Conte N42.48630 E18.69801, It’s a nice room and see took pity on me I think and gave me a sea view room for the same price, it should have been 80 Euro.

50fXAxJl.jpg

RZmkzYrl.jpg

I also got a voucher for a free drink in the restaurant next door

hzhuKa3l.jpg

nSfuyZZl.jpg

Cruise Ship leaving the Bay

A nice easy day tomorrow, about 5 mile to Kotor, find my Airbnb accommodation and relax, sort out my route for the next legs and possible pop to Dubrovnik in Croatia

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 23 Balkans Trip

I have had a steady morning, only a 6/7 mile ride to Kotor. Once there I had a bit of a ride around. Sourced a new sim card for my phone and then sat and had a coffee.

Kotor - Wikipedia

n427MSkl.jpg

The other side of the Bay from where I was

ni7iToVl.jpg

6eYzwRQl.jpg

Nice coffee spot in Kotor

iNLvkitl.jpg

The entrance to the old town

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
I then set off to meet my Airbnb host, I met him at around 1130hrs. We sat and drank coffee and some home brew, a bit like slivodić, before I settled into my apartment. A nice place, 2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen and a balcony. Just sat relaxing now and deciding on whether to go to Dubrovnik or to Lovcen tomorrow? £35 for 3 nights.

81sXq0Il.jpg

Y4HHGr0l.jpg

WbIz5iFl.jpg

tdp6t58l.jpg

The balcony view

Wayne