The Balkans, late 2015 on my old XT600E (Arrunya)

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 24 Balkans Trip

I went to Dubrovnik today. Well, the sun was out, the weather was great, and the roads were good, so why not.

From my Airbnb place I rode to Lepetane and got the ferry, N42.46547 E18.6859 which went across the bay and saved me probably over an hour riding round it. The ferries go about every 15 mins and cost 2 Euro for a bike. Not a bad deal, I would have spent a lot more than that on fuel. The ferry took you to Kamenari N42.46661 E18.67460. Then it was about 30 plus mile to Dubrovnik.

kCnkzeyl.jpg

AfbxYgMl.jpg

TGEw1Izl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Its the first time I had been and only wanted to see the old town. I was really nice and worth the visit. Loads of old building and stone carvings. I think you could have spent about 2 days wandering around them. It was a right labyrinth in amongst it all.
I didn’t have that long though as they were not going to let me out of Montenegro at one point as I did not have my bike docs with me. I did however have my Montenegro Insurance and passport with me. The supervisor said fine as long as I was back before he finished his shift. I had about 4 hours, plenty of time. As it happened I got the supervisor when I came back into Montenegro and he recognised me so getting back in was a breeze.

Dubrovnik - Wikipedia

Dn7VKiXl.jpg

vdkDs9Rl.jpg

xFbYWxEl.jpg

rh65ZKul.jpg

G2WYUdzl.jpg

GkCK2XDl.jpg

4dyPICyl.jpg

R2V6l9Bl.jpg

pARCXyCl.jpg

GDgXo0Bl.jpg

YSaQHFql.jpg

ari48yol.jpg

1WB8c2Wl.jpg

znwA37rl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 25 Balkans Trip

Had a relaxed day today, I went into Kotor which is about 15 mins ride, parked up and went and had a look around the old town.

1byPmc5l.jpg

Riding towards the old town

PpL55vIl.jpg

Old Town entrance

97LQ5FVl.jpg

JIr1G7nl.jpg

PsVoYCvl.jpg

VoYQuq3l.jpg

eFfIioll.jpg

BfXRA4ol.jpg

A nice old building in the foreground, and above in the background was where I was going to walk to.

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
I also wanted to climb up to the Castle which overlooks Kotor and whose walls surround the old town.
It was a great climb. I guy who I paid my 3 Euro to told me there is just short of 1400 steps to get to the top. The view once up there was great and whoever was in the Castle at the time had a commanding view.

Kotor Castle - Wikipedia

gdwh2aVl.jpg

UeCIRpAl.jpg

Climbing up the steps and getting higher

h58mGhOl.jpg

H2TjxUcl.jpg

Quite high now

A2K8PIdl.jpg

tFPlkyfl.jpg

The above two Panoramas do an overlapped 360 from the top

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Some Castle views

sOuOJ4Pl.jpg

xpjNROnl.jpg

JBLnw4zl.jpg

ikSGqCnl.jpg

The top

9kQEB64l.jpg

Looking down the other side

eerefXUl.jpg

and today through the square window....those old enough should remember that saying

y8HKHEQl.jpg

qvGVbU1l.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
When I came out of the Old Town I got talking to two Guys from Bulgaria, one was on a Pan and the other on a 1200GS. They were on their way to Dubrovnik and then into Bosnia before heading back to Bulgaria.

Once they had left a UK plated R reg Africa Twin 750 pulled in and I got talking to the rider. Turns out Ian lives/works in the Kotor area now and has done for the past 4 years. He comes from Batley so it was good to natter to a fellow Yorkshireman over a couple of coffees.

IpnpQuIl.jpg

Ian and his R reg Africa Twin

Sorting out the gear tonight ready for the off tomorrow. Budava old town via Cetinje, its only about 50 mile so might push on further.

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 26 Balkans Trip

Had a great day today. The roads were just superb. The plan today was to leave Kotor and go to Budva then see where I end up for the night. The route would take me through Locven National Park and Cetinje

Day 26 Kotor to Budva

As I left Kotor I had planned the route to take me up the Serpentine road which has 25 hairpins on it and a stunning view when you get to the top.

P1 is a narrow serpentine road from Cetinje to Kotor

Although I did not think it was dangerous!

g0csWnNl.jpg

Looking over Tivat

hDj1IWil.jpg

lEncj3zl.jpg

Looking over Kotor

WBhLCzDl.jpg

yeUHZ3el.jpg

c60lMtZl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
From there I followed the main road for a bit before taking a right into one of the National Parks, Locven. It was really good riding through and I went even higher before starting my decent in to Cetinje.
Once there I had a bit of a ride around before finding somewhere to sit have a coffee and ring my partner in Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovćen

I didn't get many photos in the Park as I was enjoying the ride

xNNejnKl.jpg

jjfKUL3l.jpg

F0Us7pcl.jpg

mJ6Ws79l.jpg

dghy4OAl.jpg

yf6Je3ql.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Then it was on to Budva. I wanted to go and see the old town. Also I wanted to find the Budva Bikers Bar N42.28231 E18.83794. I did find it and had some lunch, grilled squid. Great. Whilst there I was given two of the bar stickers and a copy of the Bikers Prayer.
Then this guy came out and apologised for not coming to greet me sooner but he was busy. Turns out he is the owner of the bar and the owner of some lovely bikes, most of which he rides. So I said no problem and I was coming back for some more food after visiting the old town before going to find somewhere to pitch my tent. Anyway he said you can pitch it here but better still you can sleep in the back room but sorry I don’t have a bed. To top it off he told all his staff that I stay here as his guest tonight and everything is on him. What a gentleman. I am not saying that everyone will get the same treatment but the bar is well worth a visit. They have a band on tonight so hopefully a great night is on the cards. Sat at the bar doing the report.

Budva - Wikipedia

egKZQQAl.jpg

Coming down towards Budva

[
wfeQ2lul.jpg

Budva

qzENKGRl.jpg

Budva Biker Bar

Welcome - | Beer & Bike Club Jadran | Budva, Montenegro

[
UEODI7Ul.jpg

MNYcHMRl.jpg

Zlecx2kl.jpg

XbFLuNTl.jpg

The Owner with one of his toys

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
So after a natter with the owner I went into the old town and after going to the old town of Dubrovnik and Kotor I was a little bit disappointed. Quite a lot of the area had locked gates with it being private property and maybe I have been spoilt with the other two.
But I did dip my boots in the Adriatic Sea…well I did it in the Mekong River so why not!

Pxv2K7Kl.jpg

VjGekVTl.jpg

WtM9LM7l.jpg

akuc6CVl.jpg

9pvaWx5l.jpg

2miOuzAl.jpg

rY6UoCbl.jpg

gRImet5l.jpg

Tomorrow pushing on along the Adriatic before heading inland to Lake Skadar

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 27 Balkans Trip

A good ride today. I followed the Adriatic from Budva to Ulcinj then some minor roads from Ulcinj over the top of a mountain to Vranjina and Podgorica following the southern edge of Lake Skadar travelling west

Day 27 Budva to Podgorica

My first stop was Bar where I had some breakfast, from there I went to Stari Bar which is the old town of Bar and is surrounded by a wall.

Stari Bar - Wikipedia

AKhermMl.jpg

bUqqEeal.jpg

HmiyPLxl.jpg

EXetVdWl.jpg

ggp72M2l.jpg

kT3Z4w0l.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Then it was minor roads over the top of a mountain before dropping down towards Lake Skadar. It was pretty slow going as the road was not the best with sharp bends most of the time about 50 to 80 meters apart. The bends were not the problem it was the crazy drivers in their cages coming in the opposite direction. It doesn’t mater whether they are taking a left or right hand bend they always go over the middle of the road and when the road is just over a cars width it doesn't leave you much room. Especially when there is a shear drop on your side.

Lake Skadar - Wikipedia

eVdCauwl.jpg

Where I was heading for

RSuy0cSl.jpg

Going up one side of the mountain

smuUEMLl.jpg

EDTY9VHl.jpg

At the top and my first view of Lake Skadar

KnMuXYMl.jpg

fZI70yjl.jpg

Looking at Albania

Wzc90Uil.jpg

On the way down the other side

HO4YCwYl.jpg

xX5c3zDl.jpg

MsyILGvl.jpg

BOfDIFLl.jpg

5gm3jFVl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
I eventully saw the Old Fort near Vranjina N42.27143 E19.11969 but couldn’t find away to get there as it was at the other side of a railway line alongside a main road. But I did stop and take some snaps.

JaBCskol.jpg

l9BIKBSl.jpg

I have ended up in Podgorica and I am staying at the Hotel M Nikic. N42.43714 E19.26187. After getting about 3 hours sleep and doing over 100 mile today I need a good kip. Its not cheap but at least Arrunya is in a garage under the hotel.

Tomorrow I am heading towards Durmitor National Park.

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 28 Balkans Trip

Had a great days ride today. I went from Podgorica and ended up at Pulzine at a camp site on the edge of the Durmitor National Park.

Day 28 Podgorica to Pulzine

The road was easy going today and I made some good time.
I pulled off at the side of the road and stopped to have some food which I got from the supermarket last night

OZLaf3rl.jpg

8ueEqxMl.jpg

1wau5eDl.jpg

On the way I stopped at the Monastery Ostrog near Stubica N42.67475 E19.03088. It was a great sight to see and it is built in to the side of a mountain.

Ostrog Monastery - Wikipedia

2YBgqz2l.jpg

B6Awlvel.jpg

XO049FFl.jpg

Oc8fLkLl.jpg

azTG3UMl.jpg

oRphMzdl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
rVzuO9wl.jpg

mtWi5zcl.jpg

oGyg2zkl.jpg

The camp site is ok, I don’t know if I have to pay. No one about. But there is a restaurant about 25m away so I will be going there. They have wifi so I can get todays report up loaded. I was sat in the sun, 17 degrees C, typing this up and taking the photos from phone.

9jmX8sCl.jpg

Q0l3HUPl.jpg

NO7Lqtal.jpg

With a nice view

Tomorrow I am going to the Tara Bridge and then right around the back of Durmitor.

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 29 Balkans Trip

Had an awesome ride today. The Scenery was outstanding. I traveled from Pulzine to Kolasin via Lake Susicko and Lubljak. The route was to take me around the back of Durmitor National Park and up some great climbs

Day 29 Pulzine to Kolasin

On route to the Montenegro/Bosnia Border the sun was trying to break through as I went down the Piva Canyon and over the Dam. Then it was time for a fruit tea before going through the border to take the Tara Canyon road. It was only about 0800 and still a bit nippy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piva_(river)
A scenic road through the Piva Canyon in Montenegro

v5k0465l.jpg

UrQuq6Vl.jpg

ITibasol.jpg

eMedH6Bl.jpg

aUKUHAWl.jpg

From the Dam

WokFBhGl.jpg

Looking the other way

Then over the bridge

U82xGd4l.jpg

WB3gnjtl.jpg

5PEJxPpl.jpg

Further on down the road

QKueh1dl.jpg

Tea Break

R9xSpELl.jpg

Montenegro Border control

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
I stopped a Lake Sušičko with no water in it, although I did know there wouldn’t be any as it is only full after the winter thaw

AIlxn0tl.jpg

The not so wet Lake

x4Ssli0l.jpg

1eHHnXBl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
I had another off today which was a bit of a schoolboy error. I was going round some sharp, steep up hill switch backs as i was climbing out of the Lake Sušičko bottom and I was in second gear due to me looking at the sights. I should have been in first, I went to change down but for some reason I only got neutral, lost momentum and over I went. At least I have a matching push-in on the inner of both my panniers now.

jxbLirZl.jpg

Looking at the other die of the Canyon where I had just come from

zaeLj1kl.jpg

pS9bl7ul.jpg

Whoops

oASjWNYl.jpg