The Balkans, late 2015 on my old XT600E (Arrunya)

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
From there I went back in to the main shopping area for a look around and then instead of getting the bus back I walked back to where I am staying. I had a few Coffee and Slivo stops on the route.

4VN8YqWl.jpg

3oN5jVBl.jpg

IKnTaMnl.jpg

c3UNR0Il.jpg

qgzBecYl.jpg

pNUNZjUl.jpg

Tomorrow I am going further north and into Hungary

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 39 Balkans Trip

The route today was from Belgrade in Serbia to Szeged in Hungary.

Day 39 Belgrade to Szeged

It was a good trek today with most of the route being long straight roads and flat farm land. But it was still a good day in the saddle.

d4CHGNJl.jpg

2PfEgotl.jpg

Hj1ZXXtl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
First off from Belgrade was the town of Novi Sad and the Petrovaradin Fortress. The Fortress was ok but not a good as the one in Belgrade. Although it was very bike. You could ride about inside it. But that made me lazy haha and I didn’t get off the bike except to take a couple of photos.

Petrovaradin Fortress - Wikipedia

BRq5OFrl.jpg

WyoVtG6l.jpg

oQtNDZZl.jpg

bO6Opo1l.jpg

inYOXNTl.jpg

izpx2Vrl.jpg

FUP1rHNl.jpg

F0Gy908l.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
From there I drove into the town and parked up and had a coffee. It had a nice town square with some nice old buildings to view.

quQRYBOl.jpg

Uai2aLql.jpg

hwakZGkl.jpg

oYwUSTXl.jpg

8KqAtxbl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Once I left Novi Sad I was on my way to a Manor House on the outskirts of Becej. It was quite an impressive place to see, a very grand old house. I couldn’t make my mind up if it was still lived in. There is a restaurant there if you fancy food and drink but I wanted to push on and get over the border into Hungary, as I was expecting it to be teeming with refugees.

Fantast - Wikipedia

xxPBYsjl.jpg

p80y8VZl.jpg

Xjkg46fl.jpg

VPibjogl.jpg

SmKJjcBl.jpg

giOSzOIl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Thankfully there wasn’t any refugees.
I crossed at a quiet crossing on a back road just through a small town called Djala at N46.15826 E20.11626. It was a breeze crossing both the points. I spent 10 minutes talking to the Hungarian border guard about my travels.

9V1HBdQl.jpg

The Border Crossing

From there is was a very short trip in to the centre of Szeged.
I sat in the town square and had a brew before looking for somewhere to sleep for the night.

Szeged - Wikipedia

bfSHyHAl.jpg

TLgPIiUl.jpg

lpjWP8dl.jpg

Iw7JGDjl.jpg

ThuCSxkl.jpg

Hotel was found...Art Hotel Szeged, N46.24962 E20.14810, underground garage for Arrunya. Not cheap though.

5eBAW4il.jpg

xTUCkOIl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
I struck lucky picking this place, the town is very nice and they have a bit of a winter market going on. I went out for some food but saw the Gluwëin first so I had to have one with a double shot of rum in it. Then after some food I had to have 2 more. So all in all a good evening was had after a good few miles in the saddle.

YeEq8TVl.jpg

fhQeQ79l.jpg

Food

kkILkqOl.jpg

isaiaoAl.jpg

Gluwëin and double rum

ttMLwCol.jpg

sOVsewnl.jpg

9xG3bwrl.jpg

My favourite place :D

GDRKBwvl.jpg

Tomorrow off to Lake Balaton

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 40 Balkans Trip

Didn’t achieve anything today. Very cold and very wet. All I saw for nearly a 100 miles was rain on my visor. Cancelled the trip to the Lake due to the weather as I didn’t much see the point of visiting something like that in the cold rain. So I came straight to the outskirts of Budapest and looked for a room in a hotel.

Book into my Airbnb tomorrow.

Wayne

Reactions: Ughetto

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 41 Balkans Trip

Had a short trip in to Airbnb place today.

I found the place I was going to be staying at and then parked up and had some Glühwein, not too many as I still had to ride to the apartment. But it warmed me up. Just before it was time to go check in it started to rain hard again, but I was only out in it for an hour or so.

Budapest - Wikipedia

0OTHnWjl.jpg

Z8PGhCMl.jpg

Cag7xV1l.jpg

1wsPRsal.jpg

Nice place once to get through the door but I am on the 3rd floor and the block of apartment is very old and it reminds me of something out of a good old fashion cold war spy film.

rVAK1vpl.jpg

DETyQPrl.jpg

GTD1PK1l.jpg

bm4TYqxl.jpg

Got most of my gear dry now so thats a bonus. Got the next few days in here and tomorrow I will go for a good look around Budapest.

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 42 Balkans Trip

Had a great day out in Budapest today. It is a really nice city with lots of sights to see. I walked miles rather than take tour buses or taxi’s as the weather has improved dramatically. Got another day here tomorrow and then the following day i am moving on. But I don’t know where yet, except it will be further north.

FyExbb9l.jpg

xC3oMlVl.jpg

EerMRI2l.jpg

cLrIPKsl.jpg

6X8Ro5tl.jpg

IFFQ2oOl.jpg

I went up to the top of Castle Hill and had a look around there

QWJDQ3ol.jpg

baAhiTfl.jpg

44vlbA9l.jpg

4ANuclkl.jpg

A great view of the city from the top

HPohGTOl.jpg

LaG12d6l.jpg

X4CsrpEl.jpg

rgysChgl.jpg

GIfRf1Jl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 43 Balkans Trip

Back out again this morning to look at some more sights.

NWGiQqol.jpg

jSo5PU0l.jpg

v5KHddul.jpg

This (according to a tourist guide I overheard) is the last Soviet monument to be built before they pulled out of the country

jcqFGYil.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
On my walkabout today I found an Authentic Thai Cuisine Restaurant so I just had to go there as I am missing the food from Thailand.

C4x2kDBl.jpg

A0nSOIwl.jpg

Pad Thai Gai

xemsYYWl.jpg

Panang Gai

Very tasty indeed.

Tomorrow I am heading towards Brno in the Czech Republic via Bratislava in Slovakia

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 44 Balkans Trip

I rode over 200 miles today to get to Brno via Bratislava.

Day 44 Budapest to Brno

When I set off this morning there was frost all over and ice in places. So I had to make a decision. The route I had plotted on Basecamp was going to take me 1hr 20 more from Budapest to Bratislava and an hour more from Bratislava to Brno then if I went on the motorway…..Decision time….Take the longer route and go slower using a road less trodden, ice and frost, but don’t get as cold, but still about 0 degrees c with the wind factor….Or take the motorway, go faster, road better, no ice or frost due to more trodden, but get colder due to the speed?
I decided to take the motorway, I have not been this cold on a bike since I rode from Osnabrück to Rotterdam in a blizzard back in 2000 on my R1100s. I was bloody freezing even though the sun eventually pushed through. My hands got that cold I started to loose the feeling in them, I have some Gortex overmitts so I but them on over the top of my gloves and that did the trick, not hot but with the heated grips on they were comfortable.

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
From there I went to Brno, not for any real reason except it is quite a large place on the way to Prague. The town centre is quite nice and once I had booked into my hotel and thawed out again I went for a walk about before it got too dark. I also needed feeding, as I had not had owt since breakfast.

Brno - Wikipedia

9O6A8fal.jpg

ngbNZhbl.jpg

Oc8kJuzl.jpg

lOuCN5Gl.jpg

dfpojqZl.jpg

XpoOIZbl.jpg

yeOAjmSl.jpg

jQCj7qxl.jpg

8AJdKz0l.jpg

FHFNdBDl.jpg

My trip is pretty much coming to an end as I make my way north but there are still things I want to see and do.
I am going to Prague tomorrow and I am spending 4 nights there with hopefully a day trip out in the middle, if the weather is ok.
From there it will be Dresden to meet a mate, staying there for a few days and going to the winter markets to drink copious amounts of Glühwein hopefully! Also a trip out to Colditz Castle is planned.

Wayne

Last edited:

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 45 Balkans Trip

What a day I had today. The route was going to be a nice steady back road ride to Prague from Brno

Day 45 Brno to Prague

That didn’t materialise. When I came out of my room there were light snow flakes coming down. By the time I had eaten my breakfast and packed Arrunya it was coming down a little harder.
So it was on with the romper suit and the gortex overmitts.
I had to stop and get fuel on the way out of Brno and the snow was coming down even harder and staring to settle.
So I decided to use the motorway which also took over an hour off my journey.
I was to be a wise decision and by thee time I had done about 10 miles I was riding in a blizzard, so much for me mentioning blizzards in my report yesterday….. It stayed like that for about 75 miles, by the time I had wiped the snow from my visor it was thick with it again. But on the plus side it was a bit warmer than it was yesterday, so it true what they say….ever cloud has a silver lining!

mM9UNQol.jpg

E9y1nOTl.jpg

wNJLBnIl.jpg

349UKcXl.jpg

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Once I got into Prague I found my Airbnb place and sorted my stuff out.
Then it was out in to the city. I am only 4 stops on the tram to Wenceslas Square.

Wenceslas Square - Wikipedia

So I went and had a walk around and bought some stuff from the supermarket before going back to my room to cook tea and have a look at what I am going to try and visit over the next few days.

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 46 Balkans Trip

Had a good day out and used the public system, I got a ticket for 3 days of travel and it works on time rather than trips so you can get on and off as many times as you like. You can use it on the Trams, Underground and the Buses. not bad for 310 CZK which is about £8

8KoQI4rl.jpg

My modum onerariis for the day

If you like old artictecture then you will like Prague

I wanted to go across the river today and see the stuff on the otherside then I can do my side of the river for the remainder of my time

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
First up was the Pražsky Hrad ( Prague Castle). Quite a big place and still busy with the tourists. In fact 3 coaches pulled up as I got off the tram. Worth a look, although I didn’t go inside. For me I prefer looking at the buildings rather than inside them
There was a great view of the city from the Castle walls.

Prague Castle - Wikipedia

9YOac4zl.jpg

FhKUmsHl.jpg

t83OFfGl.jpg

iaaNaK5l.jpg

6Tos6nal.jpg

[
lzIXPbTl.jpg

2VMxrkbl.jpg

jabtngbl.jpg

LjQnQNol.jpg

m25wF0Ql.jpg