10 days in the GT

Discussion in 'Touring Northern Thailand - Trip Reports Forum' started by Deano747, Nov 27, 2008.

  1. Just finished 10 days riding the GT with 5 others on 5 bikes (1 pillion couple). Ended up with 4 Honda 400's and 1 750 from Mr Mechanic. The mechanical condition of the bikes being the only sour note to a fabulous trip. Day 1 was arrival from Melbourne (Australia) and getting the bikes, day 2 was the Doi Suthep Temple (with 2,000 on pushbikes) and the Samoeng Loop. Day 3 was to Nan, day 4 was the Doi Phukha Loop, day 5 was up to Chiang Khong and the Loy Krathong festival on the Maekong. Day 6 was up to Chiang Saen and a boat across to Laos for some duty free and down to Mae Salong for the overnight. Day 7 down to Pai, day 8 elephant rides and over to Mae Hong Son. Day 9 Karen Hill tribe and down to Mae Chaem, last day to Doi Inthanon and back to Chiang Mai, drop the bikes off and the night sleeper train to Bangkok. 1910 kilometers of really fantastic riding (no scratches to any of us or the bikes) thanks to all the information gleaned from this site, David's book and your maps. I am sorry that we didn't have time to get to the Kafe and see some of you guys, but we just ran out of time. We have seen such a tiny snapshot of what the area has to offer and the next time will be refining it to give a little more time here and there. I totally understand why people visit and never leave.
  2. Hi Deano,

    I believe I met you guys on the 1096 by the waterfall (the solo American from Seattle on the Super Four). Sounds like you all had a fantastic trip and saw quite alot in the 10 days. Glad to hear everyone made it through with no major problems. If you have any pix of Loy Krathong on the river, please post as I would like to see how it all turned out.


  3. Gudday Eric,

    Kinda cool reading about ourselves in your trip report. Sounds like you had a terrific time. I am in London now and not home for a week or so, will add some pictures when I get home. We didn't get up to Chiang Khong till 7pm that night with having to put 1 bike in the truck (electrics died), bad roads due the October rains and a few stops at villages to watch their festivities. Still a great day though. Got a new bike (a 750cc) sent up to us by lunchtime the next day.
  4. Well at least they got you up and running pretty quickly. And considering the total disaster going on at Suvarn right now, I guess we can all consider ourselves lucky to have had a great trip and be out of there. Squeaked out just in time it seems.

Share This Page