125cc vs 250cc?

Arthur

Aug 31, 2007
I am planning to drive round northern Laos for 5 days in November, and am trying to decide whether to hire a 125cc scooter or 250cc bike (Baja or similar) for the trip.

My girlfriend will be riding pillion, and I think our route (Luang Prabang, Nong Khiaw, Vieng Thong, Phonsovan, Luang Probang)) is all tarmac roads.

A 250 bike has been recommended and seems to be the obvious choice, the only things I am not sure about is how comfortable it is for the passanger for long hours riding (compared to a scooter, which apparently is fine), and how much space there is for luggage under the seat / strapped onto the back.

Any views?

Jun 21, 2006
We did 800kms in Laos, 2 up on a 110cc scooter

no problems except our seat was knackered before we started, so always best to check seat out first, make sure it has decent padding

if you get scooter, just buy the local plastic stripey bags to put gear in, and bag will fit between your legs.

http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOP ... ort,permit

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by Arthur

I am planning to drive round northern Laos for 5 days in November, and am trying to decide whether to hire a 125cc scooter or 250cc bike (Baja or similar) for the trip.

My girlfriend will be riding pillion, and I think our route (Luang Prabang, Nong Khiaw, Vieng Thong, Phonsovan, Luang Probang)) is all tarmac roads.

A 250 bike has been recommended and seems to be the obvious choice, the only things I am not sure about is how comfortable it is for the passanger for long hours riding (compared to a scooter, which apparently is fine), and how much space there is for luggage under the seat / strapped onto the back.

Any views?

If my info is still correct, Route 1C Vieng Thong - Phou Lao is not asphalt, but bumpy dirt which many riders seem to complain about.

Whatever bike you take, loaded up with luggage, the g/f will eventually get tired on & complain - too hard, too sore, too uncomfortable. So take a 250 & enjoy yourself more.
Give the g/f a small bag to pack her stuff in & say that's it - anything you want to take has to fit in there. And no heavy glass jars of cream, make up or perfume! We'll be on the road travelling light & "roughing it."

jimoi

Nov 17, 2004
250. 5 Days is nothing for your ass to complain about and the power difference between a scooter and 250 is significant on the hills you are going to ride around on. Again, 5 days, luggage will be day clothes, night clothes, toiletries, camera and maybe a rain kit - nothing more is needed.

There are busses for whining girlfriends to ride.

Oct 12, 2005
I second Jimois vote for the 250. I spent a month in Laos on a 250 dirt bike. Perfect weapon for everywhere. Suspension for dirt roads and rough asphalt and enough oomph to clear the trucks on the mountain passes. Did a week of off road and tarmac with a gal on the back. Give her advanced notice of how much room you are allowing her for luggage and you're fine. Leave it up to her and the flippin hairdryer will try and come along.

I love Jimois statement about busses for whinging girlfriends. Good on Ya.