2012 Honda CRF250L

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
You can buy several sets of levers plus a set of new tires and still save money over the KLX.

Jul 18, 2009
Difference in prices , mainly due to taxes - New CRF250L in Malaysia would cost u aproximately a whopping bht 226,000

Jul 25, 2010
[QUOTENew CRF250L in Malaysia would cost u aproximately a whopping bht 226,000
Ouch! and people complain about the cost of bikes here?

Jul 18, 2009
FYI , for those shorties that are finding the height of the CRF a bit challenging I saw that Kouba links in the states will be releasing a proper set of lowering links in October. They claim it will lower the height by 1 3/4". Price will be around $140. Front forks will have to be lowered and stand shortened to suit.

Apr 20, 2011
hi, the links i had made for the klx (for short arsed customers! 5555) were 300 baht the pair less than $10 usd, the same as on wells klx! i cant see them being any more expensive for the CRF!

this life is not a rehearsal!!

Sep 13, 2012
schackster;282126 wrote: Difference in prices , mainly due to taxes - New CRF250L in Malaysia would cost u aproximately a whopping bht 226,000
actually is more expensive then KLX 250 in malaysia . . . . wondering what honda malaysia think

Oct 5, 2012
Posts like this are gold. Im on my way out to buy a folding gear shift. Thank you.
bigalthaibiketoursuk;280158 wrote: ok guys, here's a bit of hot off the press news for you crf lovers!!

my friends crf had a slight "fall down" 2 days ago, onto its left hand side! from virtually stationary!
the gear shift spline snapped off almost flush with the crankcase!!, now that wouldnt have happened on the klx, i believe that is weak material plus a rigid gear shifter, also parts are not available to fix it just yet!!!!

these are the exact kind of things we need to know!!! had this happened in the middle of the jungle or on some serious single track!!! big problems!!!!!
safe riding
Alan
ps
i did post this in a different thread also!!

Jul 2, 2011
Gregitt;281720 wrote: I am really enjoying this new Honda. I really need an owner's manual in "English" a PDF file would be very nice! The Local dealer here in Loei doesn't seem able or doesn't want to get me a manual. If anyone can help it will be appreciated!:happy2: CRF Honda 250L
If you're still looking for an English owner's manual the PDF is here
Honda | Owner's Manual Download | Motorcycles

Apr 22, 2007

jsbkk

Dec 13, 2010
I am confused. I was out to shop for a CRF and visited three dealers close to my place. To my surprise all three dealers quoted different prices! 127, 133 and 140xxx. The most exp. dealer said the price was incl. of registration and tax. Then i decided to visit the kawasaki dealer (Real moto) to have a look at the KLX. Price was 152xxx incl of insurance worth 7xxx bht which makes the price difference less significant. Looking at the CRF/KLF shootouts and reviews seems the CRF is a KLX wanabee.

Not considering the price difference, would the CRF be a better buy than the KLX?

Oct 5, 2012
Im Confused also. What reviews gave you the impression the CRF was a KLX wannabe???? Please post as im curious to have a laugh..

jsbkk;283538 wrote: I am confused. I was out to shop for a CRF and visited three dealers close to my place. To my surprise all three dealers quoted different prices! 127, 133 and 140xxx. The most exp. dealer said the price was incl. of registration and tax. Then i decided to visit the kawasaki dealer (Real moto) to have a look at the KLX. Price was 152xxx incl of insurance worth 7xxx bht which makes the price difference less significant. Looking at the CRF/KLF shootouts and reviews seems the CRF is a KLX wanabee.

Not considering the price difference, would the CRF be a better buy than the KLX?

jsbkk

Dec 13, 2010
"wannabe" maybe a wrong selection of word. I will try to explain what I mean,

First thing - I am NOT a CRF or a KLX guy.

I just plan to buy a bike soon, so I did a simple google on CRF250L vs KLX250 and clicked the first link. I too am very excited about the new CRF. On the link below, I was surprised to find these bunch of issues (significant IMO) not addressed on the CRF in comparison to the KLX.

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/bike-talk/1776-honda-crf-250-l-kawasaki-klx-250-shoot-out.html#post13146

Then I tried to compare the technical specs. And few more things came up in favour of the KLX like the weight, rear suspension & cooling.

Going thru many reviews of both bikes, I get an impression the KLX is dated but packs a punch which the CRF is trying to catch-up. Just newer and has cool looks. Has a good motor but lags behind on tech specs and lacks many things under the microscope what the KLX has.

Jul 15, 2012
Of course being restricted is not a issue as it takes less then 10 seconds to derestrict and keep warranty.

Dec 27, 2007
On our ride to Luang Prabang this weekend our mate Tim who is an experienced dirt rider rented a CRF250L and got pushed off the road and into the ditch by a bus- the gear input shaft snapped off... This isn't the first time I've read of this happening. One would expect the gear lever to go before the shaft...

I guess this is why so many people are replacing the stock Honda gear pedal with the spring loaded Kawasaki KLX pedal? Some really nice Thai guys saw the whole thing (and were nearly hit by the same kamikaze bus), threw Tim's bike in the back of their pickup and found a local shop that welded the end of the shaft back on.

General consensus seems to be that the CRF-L with it's added weight and lower spec suspension is a bit more road oriented and not quite as tough as the KLX. Of course not everyone agrees with that assessment ;)

Tim said next time he'd rent an old Honda XR250. A lot less weight and more power than the new CRF250L, which he described as "a dog"...

A lot more aftermarket parts and big bore kits exist for the KLX, but I imagine eventually the same will be true for the new Honda.

IMG_3733_zps935160da.jpg

mja34

Apr 24, 2003
I totally agree on your summery of the crf! ,I am the Lucky owner of a versys and crf and I just keep getting a big smile on my face each time I take the 250!
my first trips to Northern thailand where spent on old xrs,raids etc and these smaller capacity bikes really do help you get off the beaten path and enjoy a more laid back approach to riding here

Oct 5, 2012
How much off roading did Tim do on the CRF as i see his riding partners have a Versys, Fazer & what looks to be another road bike???
TonyBKK;283622 wrote: On our ride to Luang Prabang this weekend our mate Tim who is an experienced dirt rider rented a CRF250L and got pushed off the road and into the ditch by a bus- the gear input shaft snapped off... This isn't the first time I've read of this happening. One would expect the gear lever to go before the shaft...

I guess this is why so many people are replacing the stock Honda gear pedal with the spring loaded Kawasaki KLX pedal? Some really nice Thai guys saw the whole thing (and were nearly hit by the same kamikaze bus), threw Tim's bike in the back of their pickup and found a local shop that welded the end of the shaft back on.

General consensus seems to be that the CRF-L with it's added weight and lower spec suspension is a bit more road oriented and not quite as tough as the KLX. Of course not everyone agrees with that assessment ;)

Tim said next time he'd rent an old Honda XR250. A lot less weight and more power than the new CRF250L, which he described as "a dog"...

A lot more aftermarket parts and big bore kits exist for the KLX, but I imagine eventually the same will be true for the new Honda.

IMG_3733_zps935160da.jpg

Feb 1, 2012
I was in the Honda dealer in Cairns north QLD this morning to order a new Pro circuit expansion chamber for my CRM250 and seen they have the new CRFL250 here now for sale at a bargain price of $ 6.998 Australian so I would not complain about the cost of buying one in Thailand good old Aussie Tax it sucks.

Apr 22, 2007