2012 Honda CRF250L

Jul 15, 2012
Can someone explain what this is and what it does?
sorry about photo quality shot with cellphone
20121103_195743.jpg

20121103_195803.jpg

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
It is called a Helmholtz Resonator. They have been around since the 1930's-ish this is a picture from Autocar in 1935

284458=13421-Helmholtz_resonator_exhaust_manifold_(Autocar_Handbook,_13th_ed,_1935).jpg

Wikipedia has the whole theory but it can create an area of pressure lower than that in the surrounding system which can be used for scavenging. . Can also be called a powerbomb or other names. Some are a different shape some quite sexy looking and if engineered properly are supposed to yield performance benefits.

Red Bull F1 does or has used them.

http://www.f1technical.net/development/369.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Here's a fresh comparo of the CRF250L and the KLX250, although the Kawa is the the carbed version available on the American market:
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2013-honda-crf250l-vs-2013-kawasaki-klx250s-video-91483.html
The Honda has FI and is about $500 cheaper, that's a good start right off the bat. Interestingly the Honda was also judged to be better in the dirt - well, on dirt roads. Maybe they judged it by the size of the footpegs...
But interesting are the dyno numbers, looking very much the same, both have 20 horses. The CRF seems to have more usable torque in the lower range.
I wonder how the FI Kawa would have performed. Too bad those 'mericans aren't up to date!

285418=13928-2013-honda-crf250l-vs-kawasaki-klx250s-hp-torque-dyno1.jpg

Aug 2, 2012
KZ25;285418 wrote: Here's a fresh comparo of the CRF250L and the KLX250, although the Kawa is the the carbed version available on the American market:
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2013-honda-crf250l-vs-2013-kawasaki-klx250s-video-91483.html
The Honda has FI and is about $500 cheaper, that's a good start right off the bat. Interestingly the Honda was also judged to be better in the dirt - well, on dirt roads. Maybe they judged it by the size of the footpegs...
But interesting are the dyno numbers, looking very much the same, both have 20 horses. The CRF seems to have more usable torque in the lower range.
I wonder how the FI Kawa would have performed. Too bad those 'mericans aren't up to date!

For Sure, FI on the Kawasaki would make a big difference....I had the Kawaski D-Tracker 250X with FI and it was very smooth and easy starting. A fair review, but it seems they left out things that were important to many riders.....the ground clearance difference and the non-folding shifter on the Honda seemed to spur controversy. I own the CRF 250-L now and have been pleased with it so far, especially now that accessories and Mods are becoming available. Thanks for the post....always enjoy reviews.

Aug 2, 2012
KZ25;285418 wrote: Here's a fresh comparo of the CRF250L and the KLX250, although the Kawa is the the carbed version available on the American market:

One other thing to consider....the KLX 250 FI version sold in Thailand is RESTRICTED and may not even be close in performance sited in this review. I suspect that with the DE-RESTRICTOR BOX sold by Kawasaki, (or some other method).... KLX performance would be similar or perhaps even better than the US models.

Aug 2, 2012
STAGE ONE PERFORMANCE KIT FOR CRF 250 L

I recently purchased this kit from http://bestdualsportbikes.com/dual-sport-bikes/2013-honda-crf250l/.

I chose the FMF Q-4 Exhaust and Megabomb Header. The kit also comes with a FMF Fuel Programmer and 13 tooth front sprocket. The fuel box is already programmed from the factory to match this pipe setup, but you can tweak it if necessary.

The Exhaust system fit perfectly and the fuel box plugged in easily as well....the engine fired right up and ran perfectly. With the stock sprocket it was like a different Bike! Lots more acceleration, especially in the higher RPM range. Top end is improved as well.

After installing the 13 tooth sprocket, THE FUN BEGAN! It races through the gears and accelerates strongly. You have passing power in 6th gear and top end is higher. With the 13, the speedo as way off. With my heavy ass and wide body it showed 145+ KPH, but the GPS showed 123+KPH. It does 80 MPH easily and that is good enough for me...I appreciate the improved acceleration. Others say it will go lots faster. Guess it depends on one”s weight, altitude, fuel and other factors. I think with some more air box mods it will do better. The higher revs with the 13 tooth works very well with the FMF design and fuel programmer and provides the most dramatic results.

I think the 13 tooth is perfect for off road and mountain riding that I do here in Thailand. Some may prefer the 14 for long road trips.

I drilled holes in the air box cover and took off the metal filter screen as directed..it did make a positive difference. I have not cut out the top of the air box yet. I also have not removed the pare valve. The engine seems to run the same with the 0-2 sensor plugged in or out. The Best Dual Sports bike guy thinks it works better unplugged and I will test it again to see.

‘Future Man” at Best Dual Sports Bikes is a great guy to purchase from. He responds to E-mails and answers "after purchase" questions. The folks where the Fuel Box is made provide great service as well and I recommend them highly. He also ships USPS and work with you on custom values if you ship internationally which will save you money.

I am happy with my set up because it is “bolt on” without having to program something and it works well without major mods like new, cams, larger throttle bodies etc. I wonder sometimes if I should have purchased the FMF Power Core Muffler since it has more power and is a little less expensive (louder too). The Q-4 is plenty loud though when the throttle is on and purrs nicely at cruising speed and I think the performance is good.

If there are negatives I guess one would be that I burned a hole through my best jeans the first day! (FMF does not include a heat shield). I was able to modify my old heat shield however, and it looks ok. If you want a fancy one, there are some on E-Bay. Of course, more power means less mileage. With my riding style I dropped 5-6 Kilometers per liter estimated with the stock sprocket....haven’t measured the 13 tooth mileage yet, but it may be close to the same. (Of course, when you have more power, one tends to crank it on more..the fun factor sets in!).

I am not a professional, but I do ride lots....so this review is subjective and reflects my honest opinions. Riding is Fun and this setup makes that Honda More Fun!

286223=14089-1-DSC06932.jpg

286223=14090-1-DSC06939.jpg
(original heat shield modified)

Nov 7, 2007
Just did a second stint through Laos on a rented CRF250L - all I can say it's a great bike. Last year I did a similar route on the KLX250. Both were rented from POP CM; POP is cool because he has the bikes; he does the Laos papers; and he doesn't care if you put some more scratches on the bike; but he also really doesn't take care of the bikes very well so both the KLX and the CRF were used and abused. The CRF handled that better - it looked a bit scraggy but performed perfect with no issues. Both our KLXs had electrical problems (not starting at times).

I thought the CRF was overall the better bike as it handles better and got better gas mileage. Gas mileage on the road with the throttle pinned was just as bad as the KLX, but on dirt or at 80-100kph speeds, the CRF was much more frugal.

Handling is better as the bike tracks really well and the lower seating position provides more confidence, at least for newbs like me.

Bike was surprisingly fun on twisties despite the dual sport tires, it likes to go fast around the bends. It's a great bike for Laos as it handles the crappy roads perfectly. Dirt was fine, some light offroad was fine, roads with sections missing was no issue, etc, blasted through all of it and had fun on a wide variety of surfaces, switching back and forth between street mode and dirt mode.

The only negative - I seemed to have no stopping power on the front brake. No issue on dirt and not a huge problem on the road because the bike doesn't go all that fast anyway; but on a few occasions I was surprised how little the front does. Not sure that was just my bike or normal for the CRF.

And - well it needs more power. A 400 would be nice, for roads, and for power slides.

PS: We had a spare gear shifter just in case but ended up not needing it; no crashes.

Oct 5, 2012
Looks like you had a great time and im glad to hear you enjoyed the bike. Any chance of letting us know the route you took and what you encountered along the way? What about accomodation, the officials at the border crossing, and fuel etc...?
Ive found on most dirt bikes the front 'feels' pretty bad due to the long suspension travel and deformation of the knoblie's on the front tyre. Brand new, the brake took quite long to bed in but i have managed to lock up the front on purpose but only at low speed. It would be interesting to hear from anybody who has a CRF but with road tyres and maybe a harder front end.
Thanks for the report..

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Hi Gregitt,
I Ordered the Kit from Future Man before Christmas and Still Waiting for Delivery? He said He was waiting for the Fuel Programmer to be delivered so everything can be sent at the same time? I went for the Power Core 4 instead of the Q-4. I also Ordered the New Air Filter, Alloy Gear Lever and the Stainless Braided Brake Lines. As Nikster said the CRF has Poor Front Brakes! So I am looking forward to actually receiving everything and Trying it out, I am Encouraged after reading Your Report so thanks for sharing! Good to Hear the Kit increases the Top End as that was My Hope! Owning both I think the CRF is the Better Bike with the KLX having Better Brakes and Top end so this Kit may fix those problems on the Honda, here's hoping? I have seen a Carbon Heat Shield fitted on the Mega Bomb so may look into that? How did You attach the Original Heat Shield to the Mega Bomb? Did the Side Panel fit to the Muffler OK and do you have a Photo of that? I may catch up with You in Loei sometime as we get up there quite a bit and Usually start the Night Out at Chris's Pizza & Steak House!

Aug 2, 2012
Ian Bungy;287245 wrote: Hi Gregitt,
I Ordered the Kit from Future Man before Christmas and Still Waiting for Delivery? He said He was waiting for the Fuel Programmer to be delivered so everything can be sent at the same time? I went for the Power Core 4 instead of the Q-4. I also Ordered the New Air Filter, Alloy Gear Lever and the Stainless Braided Brake Lines. As Nikster said the CRF has Poor Front Brakes! So I am looking forward to actually receiving everything and Trying it out, I am Encouraged after reading Your Report so thanks for sharing! Good to Hear the Kit increases the Top End as that was My Hope! Owning both I think the CRF is the Better Bike with the KLX having Better Brakes and Top end so this Kit may fix those problems on the Honda, here's hoping? I have seen a Carbon Heat Shield fitted on the Mega Bomb so may look into that? How did You attach the Original Heat Shield to the Mega Bomb? Did the Side Panel fit to the Muffler OK and do you have a Photo of that? I may catch up with You in Loei sometime as we get up there quite a bit and Usually start the Night Out at Chris's Pizza & Steak House!
Most certainly contact me when coming to Loei. The rear side panal fit perfectly to the muffler. Thought I posted here on how to fit the original heat shield...I will try to link it or put it on this forum.

Aug 2, 2012
Ian Bungy;287245 wrote: Hi Gregitt,
How I attached the original heat shield is posted on this page with photos. Use the original chrome screws. Purchase a clamp and one nut for the screw. Make a bracket out of metal similar to the one you already have. Attach it about in the middle (up and down) and towards the rear...may have to use a washer to keep it the shield from touching the header. (This is with the megabomb header)....which header did you buy?....the other one (power bomb) uses the original heat shield I think.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I finally got the chance to rent the CRF250L in Phuket for 750/day. When I got on I remembered the "feel" of my XR650L, slim bike, high seating position, the handle bar wide and just right, not too high or too low. I felt "at home" right away. When I swung my leg over the bike it felt tall, I can understand if a beginner feels intimidated and thinks about a lowering kit, but could put both feet flat on the ground. I'm 178 cm. But once underway I had no problems, I enjoyed the "size" of the bike. The 650 is really tall, I could only put one foot on the ground on the tip-toe, had to lean the bike at a red light, but it never really bothered me.
I went up through Kathu direction Thalang and airport, the bike pulled nicely through the traffic, never felt slow or sluggish. Of course it's no Ninja, and the smooth little single reminds you of that, but I was quicker that cars, busses and smaller bikes. In fact I guess with a bigger bike you'd get stuck more often. Thalang was a mess, long line of stop and go, I had to get onto the sidewalk for a few car length then down a high curb - try that on a Ninja! I opened it up north of Thalang and it took a while to see 120 on the digital speedo. I had to wring the engine out to red line through the gears but that's the fun part. I noticed a loud noise coming from the cams, it sounded intermittently like a coffee grinder, a really obnoxious sound I could clearly hear in my full-face helmet. The bike had only 6,000 km on the clock so I wonder if all those little singles sound like that? Disappointing! Also no rev-counter, often I thought I was in 3rd but was in 4th, guess you get used to guess the revs after some time but how come the CBR150R has one and is half the price?
Went towards Nai Yang beach and here the CRF started to be more fun. Going 60 in curvy areas and open up to 90 on straights is what the bike is made for. Then going south to Nai Harn through the twisty mountain roads, up and down, throwing the bike left to right, accelerating and slowing down, brought a smile to my face. I could go in 3rd through slow turns and open it up on straights, the engine delivered, no need to shift. It even runs 50 in 6th gear, no complaints!
Went into a sandy area in 1st and the fan came on right away. I wonder how hot it'll get if you really worked it!
Average was 3,5L/100km, that's great, not much more than my carbed Nouvo 135!
I thought compared to the VTR250 I owned years ago it would be significantly less powerful since the VTR is supposed to have 25 hp and the CRF about 5 less. But just from the seat-of-the-pants feeling I'd say the CRF has 10% less power, I was surprised. It felt powerful at any revs. Of course I am used to the Nouvo by now, if you ride a bigger bike you may feel it's not enough. The AX-1 I had a long time ago definitely felt weak even though the engine was in good shape. Numbers can be deceiving, I think I could live with the stock power for quite a while.
Smaller wheels and street rubber would make this bike the perfect around town bike. You could take it to work every day and even do weekend trips.
I just got back from a 5-day 1,200km round-trip on my little Nouvo 135. The CRF250M would be a big step up and I'm sure it'll keep me happy for many years!

Aug 2, 2012
Smaller wheels and street rubber would make this bike the perfect around town bike. You could take it to work every day and even do weekend trips.
I just got back from a 5-day 1,200km round-trip on my little Nouvo 135. The CRF250M would be a big step up and I'm sure it'll keep me happy for many years![/QUOTE] A very nice review. My bike seems to make odd noises too sometimes and I have heard others say the same. I see many in Thailand that have put on the smaller wheels, but I like the larger wheels personally....they handle ok and are much better hitting the pot holes and rough roads in Thailand. They are also much better in sand and mud especially during the rainy season. I had a Kawasaki 250 D-Tracker and loved it, but I could not travel on the many wet dirt/clay roads here in the Northeast with those street tires, and I could not find cross tires to fit that size rim....that is why I switched to the CRF 250-L. If you are going mostly commute, I suggest the D-Tracker...it is a great bike....but up to you of course. I think the 250-L is perfect around town as is. Good Luck!

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I'm planning to use the bike mainly on the street, maybe some dirt roads once in a while but not enough to need a 21" rim in the front and knobbies. Kind of 90/10 street/dirt.
17" rim size offers more choices of good street rubber and are a bit wider, I think the bike will handle better at higher speeds.
So this knocking sound from the cams is a normal thing with these engines? Never heard any noises from the AX-1 or the KLR250 I had.
I wouldn't expect clunky noises from a brand-new designed engine with 17 patents... )-:

Dec 27, 2007
KZ25;288681 wrote:
So this knocking sound from the cams is a normal thing with these engines? Never heard any noises from the AX-1 or the KLR250 I had.
I wouldn't expect clunky noises from a brand-new designed engine with 17 patents... )-:
The CRF/CB'r' 250 engine rattle has been widely discussed on many forums and it seems that Honda still doesn't have a fix for it... Prime suspect is cam chain tensioner and general consensus is that while annoying, the engine rattle on these bikes isn't leading to engine failure.

Engine Rattle!!! SIGN UP

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Interesting! I've read the first and last page of the thread, reading 45+ pages takes too much time. Can't blame it on newbies who hear things that are normal, it's not the fairing and yes, it is annoying! I thought: this is a new 250 single from Honda with 17 patents? If someone gave me a Keeway or some other Chinese made bike and I'd hear a sound like that, I'd bet the engine won't go more than 10,000 km.
Some wrote that you could shift to avoid hearing that sound - heck, why not recommend earplugs? Point is if I pay almost 150,000 baht for a new CRF250M I don't want to feel like I'm riding a Platinum!
I thought it could be the rocker arms or whatever else is up there, it's not permanent at all revs, it just comes and goes, maybe it's the chain tensioner which acts up at certain chain speeds. I had no rev counter on the CRF so I couldn't tell. But I hadn't read about this problem, wasn't listening for it. Never had a bike that made an "unhealthy" sound like this. And I've owned more than 30 bikes.
Maybe the offset cylinder has something to do with it? They didn't apply this "great new idea" to the 471cc twin, did they?
Almost forgot - the rental CRF had the stock exhaust but they opened it and took some baffle parts out, the bike was loud, not stock, and I still could hear the "clonk".

Dec 27, 2007
brake034;288728 wrote: The perfect bike is like a wind egg, you can breed on it for ages but the egg in your head may never hatch!
^ Is that a Dutch joke? I have no idea what you are trying to say...

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
brake034;288728 wrote: The perfect bike is like a wind egg, you can breed on it for ages but the egg in your head may never hatch!
Sounds like he used the Google translator! A "wind egg in my head"? Well I hope it never hatches!

How is this motorcycle related?

Please enlighten us, brake034! :)

Jan 7, 2015
Yes HONDA is surely a great machine... Bullet proof engines and nice ride. Its hard to put a better choice on the KLX and CRF. I suppose every rider has different feel.

What I do knmow is Kawa had the D Tracker heavily restricted and unrestricted its a different littel beast. Add the EJk and its a once again a much different bike. The CRF on landing here. Well one anticpates the outcome