5 country ride logistics - in progress

luket

Oct 7, 2013
Hi all, I've been trying to get an answer to this for a while and am running out of time seeing as my wife and I are halfway down the vietnam coast on our new (old) gn125.

We have until mid January for our trip and will be doing a big lap around the gulf of Thailand, seeing Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, and Malaysia before ending up in Singapore on jan 15. In a perfect world, we would stick with our Vietnamese bike the whole way and sell or ditch it in Malaysia. I still have yet to figure out if bringing a Vietnamese bike into Malaysia as an american (whose name is not on the blue card) is possible, and what import regulations there are. Will i get a stamp saying that i need to bring the bike back out? I am also nervous about going through Thailand with their hearty fine for not leaving with a foreign bike, encase it breaks down. However, I'm willing to give it a go if I'm confident I can get rid of the bike in Malaysia without paying an arm and a leg.

Does anybody have any insite into this?

Plan b is to sell the bike in Cambodia and buy or rent another in Thailand, ( or just bus it the rest of the way). However, I don't want to waste more time with paperwork and logistics for another bike, or spend crazy money to rent on for a whole month.

Any shared experiences with the Malay import situation would we awesome.