5 Day Road Trip, Advice Welcome

Jun 25, 2010
Hi Guys,

First of all a quick hello. I'm new to this site but wish to become a useful member.

I'm planning a 5 day trip as follows
Day 1 - Pattaya - Nakhon Ratchasima
Day 2 - Nakhon Ratchasima - Udon Thani
Day 3 - Udon Thani - Nakhon Phanom (Via Nong Khai)
Day 4 - Nakhon Phanom - Buri Ram
Day 5 - Buriram - Pattaya (Via Aranyaprathet)

I will of course be making a video + photo diary of the trip and reporting conditions etc back here once I'm done, but before I leave does anyone have any imput into this route? Is it the best way for a 5 day trip, Could I make this trip more interesting or does it look ok? Anyone like to join?

Any input will be appreciated, Im new to Eastern Thailand. I plan to take a trip every other month and look forward to sharing my journeys with you

proMXrider :happy2:

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Sounds like a nice trip my only comment is guys do the section between Pattaya and Udon in one day. Once you hit Korat big road all the way, two lanes each side. Just outside of Korat going toward Udon about 60 Klms usually a road check. They look for guys riding in the Risght or fast lane lane, Remember you are supposed to be in the slow lane if your not passing. It's four hours to Korat from Udon. Pretty much straight road and boring.

Me I'm an old geezer with a bad back and I take two days.

Have fun look forward to your report.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
The riding in Loei = mountains, will be better than anything in Esarn, so if you could swing by that way you would be greatly rewarded I reckon.
But what bike are you riding?

Jun 25, 2010
Davidfl wrote: The riding in Loei = mountains, will be better than anything in Esarn, so if you could swing by that way you would be greatly rewarded I reckon.
But what bike are you riding?
Hi guys, Thanks for your replies.

Davidfl, checked out your road report re. Loei and looks like a road I cannot say no to! I can only take 5 days holiday so I'm still limited. I have made some changes to my original plan, what do you think of this?

Day 1 - Pattaya - Chaiyaphum
Day 2 - Chaiyaphum - Udon Thani (following Davidfls Loei route)
Day 3 - Udon Thani - Sakon Nakhon (Via Nong Khai)
Day 4 - Sakon Nakhon - Nakhon Ratchasima
Day 5 - Nakhon Ratchasima - Pattaya

I still have plenty of time to finalise as I'm planning to take this ride end of July.

If my KTM (Duke) is ready by then ill be riding that, if not unfortunately I'll have to rent a bike as I cant delay due to work commitments.

If I have to rent what type of bike would you suggest? I'm thinking fast road looking at your pics, just not sure if the rest of the journeys roads will be quite as well made?

Thanks for taking the time to reply

proMXrider

rmbike

Jun 28, 2010
Done alot of the roads around there.

The boring trip pattaya-kabinburi-korat-khon kaen-udon-nong khai sucks big time, you could see 6 or more bht extracting road blocks.( got a story on how i skipped them all :clap: )

Quite hard to find anything decent from pattaya heading north unless you want zig zag.

One of the best sections i've found is lomsak-dansai(bypass)-loei-chiang khan(or nam song)-nong khai.
getting to lomsak from bkk or pattaya is bua/boring.

Still if its your first trip its all sorta interesting no matter which way you go.

look foward to pic/report

cheers