91 to be phased out..?

Aug 5, 2007
Are the romours that I am hearing correct... they are to stop selling 91 in Thailand? Which means the only gas will be variations of gasohol. :evil:

Sep 4, 2007
The plan is to phase out 95 first, which is already well on the way, and then 91, which has been implemented by some in town fuel stations already. However the out of town stations are much slower, and some do not even have any gasohol yet, only diesel and 91 Tamada (no alcohol).

I think it will be a long time before 91 actually disappears, but would be wary that some tricky folks may try to sell 91 gasohol as 91 normal, they can make a bigger profit, that way, and can you tell the difference.
I am referring to the very small or Oil tank type of supply places. Maybe best avoided.

Aug 5, 2007
I picked up a thai biking mag for September and there was an article in there about the end of 91 (red)..and now the girlfriend is telling me it's becoming very hard to get regular 91 in BKK. I don't really want to start putting anytype of gasohol in my bikes, when 95 stopped I started on regular 91 but it looks like that will cease soon. :evil:

Oct 17, 2006
ther are millions of vehicles that cannot run on Gasohol mostly older cars and motorcycles but also much agricultural tools.91 regular will have to be available or the country will seize up.

Nov 11, 2006
Monsterman I agree with your logic on why 91 would not be phased out but since when has logic applied in Thailand?
Bangkokians want Democracy for Thailand but only as long it's the government they want in power not what the rest of the country may have elected.
In a Democracy the people either get what they want or get what they deserve.
With Thai "logic" inasmuch as there is very little of it, it is apparent they don't know what they want or need.
Sounds like the 91 scenario.

Sep 4, 2007
Surely if a policy decision has been made to phase out 100% benzine fuels and push all users to alcohol containing fuels or diesel or lpg, then eventually it has to be phased out.
I cannot argue wether the policy is a good one or not, although it does seem to me that the alcohol is locally produced and so must reduce the dependance on the volatile oil prices, and it is certainly reducing the price to the end user, as those who fill their motors or bikes up with gasohol will know.
So it seems that the policy makers do know what they want, and so the pill will have to be swallowed, and over time the various machines out there will end up accomodating gasohol. It is not such evil stuff as some people make out.
I have chosen to live here, because of the usual things, low cost of living, great weather, yes the ladies are beautiful, but most of all the tremendous freedom in so many areas, compared with the stuffy over regulated UK. Motorcycling here is so much more rewarding than it ever was in the UK. I HAVE CHOSEN, but what I cannot do is chose the bits I like and constantly complain about everything else.
This country is what it is because of the people who live here, including the BKK middle class and the government,, it will never be the same as the Farang countries we have left..........I hope....................
So 91 is going..........OK..........farewell

Nov 11, 2006
And f..k 2/3 of the population that can't afford new vehicles that can run on gasohol!
And ironically they will have been the ones who voted for Thaksin and the puppets.
As I said you get what you deserve.
As Buddhists I guess that goes down well.

Sep 4, 2007
Not wishing to get into conflict over this, but too many assumptions being made and if one can accept the policy the question becomes, Will our vehicles, machines run on gasohol, if not what do we have to do.
I would guess that for the poorer section of the community, that the vast majority of the vehicles are diesel powered and so no problems.
For those stuck with benzine, maybe only a change of rubber seals in fuel system.

Aug 5, 2007
The apparent situation in Bkk at the moment, is that most of the filling stations are not selling 91 and when you ask why they just say "finished". Is this scenario going to spread countrywide?, then if so we are all going to have to seriously start finding out what alternatives are available! :evil:

Sep 4, 2007
So it would be really useful to hear from those who have successfully used gasohol in older bikes, and what they had to do.

I have no problems running 2008 FJR1300A, and 2007 BMW F650GS, on Gasohol 91 or 95. Also Nouvo Elegance and Honda Wave, both under 2 years old. Never seen any difference in fuel consumption or power delivery.
I have a Yamaha Raid 250cc, several years old and at the moment I am alternating tanks of 91 and 91 gasohol, not noticed any difference yet after about 2 months of this. So I am hoping that as the rubber seals in the carburettor are well aged they may be less subsceptible to attack by the 10% alcohol in the gasohol. Will post if i do run into problems

Oct 17, 2006
my wife has tried Gasohol in her 1997 Honda Rebel 250 and each time we have had to rebuild the carbs,3 times now. i have obtained Viton rubber seals and supposed gasohol friendly parts but it does not run on Gasohol .

I have a 2001 Nissan Cefiro and Nissan say emphatically no gasohol to be used if i want long engine life.

Feb 5, 2007
I doubt it as there are too many vested interests invested in ethanol production, and the government has stated that plain gas will be phased out.
The only question is when

bung

Feb 6, 2006
So is benzine 91 available anywhere now? I seem to have read mixed reports and of course they try and sell you gasahol when you ask for benzine.

Jan 27, 2011
Now that Yingluk has stopped the gas tax for benzine and making it cheeper for now I would think that at least 91 would be on its way back. At the same time without the tax to subsidize gasohol then the price of gasohol will rice. If her administration is trying to make gas more affordable then she will have to turn their decision around and sell more benzine.
I am only speculating on this but I hope I am right.

Mar 30, 2010
Unless Yingluck wants all the Motorbike Taxi's voting for the Democrats.. 91 Benzine will be here for a while

Aug 15, 2011
brian_bkk;271132 wrote: Unless Yingluck wants all the Motorbike Taxi's voting for the Democrats.. 91 Benzine will be here for a while

I agree.

I keep hearing rumors of 91 being phased out, but I keep wondering what the villager, poor farmer and food stall owner is going to do. Can they afford a conversion? Can they afford a new motorbike?

I think it will be here for quite awhile.

Feb 11, 2007
Shell phased out 91 benzene up here in Chiang Mai, but two weeks ago it is back, at least at the Shell Station in Mae Taeng just past the 1095 intersection. My bike ideals much better on pure benzene.

Jun 28, 2010
IMO Shell don`t sell benzine,or at the very best at few of their outlets.

i noticed today in Nan that they had a big red sign up with 91 written on it at the Shell in town.
price about 35 baht/litre,same as benzine elsewhere.
on closer inspection the pump with 91 in red clearly had "gasahol" written on it!

plenty of other places to buy gas so i don`t go Shell to refuel.

Oct 17, 2006
91 will not be phased out as most small farm machinery used in Thailand relies on it ,its not just the old motosais , so it would be political suicide .

Apr 23, 2006
I'm sure you are right. My Honda strimmer 4 stroke will run on 'anything but the Mitsibushi 2 stroke spray machine states quite clearly that it should be run on 91 petrol only - & its only two years old.

Feb 5, 2007
The government, (once again I might add), has clearly stated that pure petrol will be discontinued and only ethanol blended fuels will be available.

The only question is when. as these is a considerable vested intrest in the ethanol business. Irrespective of what is in the electorates interests, I suspect that petrol will become either very rare or non-existent. I have given up writing letters and technical notes over this and have jus made my bikes run on gasohol - not everyone can do that however.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Our Local PT Gas Station here in the Mae Sa Valley has Now Stopped Selling 91, But Replaced it with 95 Gasoline, YEAH!!!
They said this will happen everywhere! The 95 is not Cheap at nearly 50 Baht per Litre so i guess the Revenue Department is behind the Move (Lots More Money to be Made) but either way I am just Glad to have it Back and Great for those with Older Carb Bikes or Performance Vehicles! I will use it!!!

Jun 28, 2010
I couldn`t get any 91 benzine around the Chiang Khong area this week and was offered 95 gasahol instead.

Just tried to get some 91 benzine for the scooter today in CM and before i noticed i was being filled with 95 benzine @ close to 50 baht/L from a PT station.

I hope this is not the start of 91 benzine being phased out?

Post moved from another thread.