a question: I want to leave my bike in vietnam

Mar 7, 2004
I have a 120cc yamaha that I would like to ride from thailand across hiway 9 to Danang. Will I have problems if I leave the bike in vietnam and return without it. I would appreciate any advise about this trip. thanks.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Lindaviet
My guess is that if you fly out nothing will happen, unless they stamp something in your passport when you enter, but I dont think they do.
The thought also occurs that, you might never see your bike again. Does this bother you? Who is going to look after the bike while you are away?

Davidfl
Keep the power on

Sep 19, 2007
so lindaviet, did you manage to leave your bike in vietnam without problems? Is this a Thai-registered bike?

hi david, have you heard of stories similar to lindaviet? any repercussions?

regards

bus_wrecker

ps - this is a fabulous website/forum. To the moderators and GT-riders, well done!

pexa

Jan 10, 2007
I dont think you can get into Vietnam with any other than Vietnam-registered bike, and even then there´s a MAYBE. Saw a couple, in Laos, who had bought Minsks in Vietnam, and crossed into Laos with them, they planned to take them back, but I dont know if they did.

Some even seem to make up stories about how theyve done it while actually they havent, thats how complicated it is. Theres been some rumour about things changing slowly, and I hope they do, but so far there hasnt been any confirmation.

The "under 175cc rule" (if there ever was one, or if it was just someones wishful thinking), seems to mean nothing, either. It is a big pain-in-the-butt to get in there with your own vehicle.

Jan 18, 2007
If you can bring to Vietnam, you can leave without it. Some corruption may help to smooth the procedure at the border. If you want to sell your bike in Vietnam, some local people might be interested.

Good luck.

Sep 19, 2007
i'm not too sure now. i think i'm scaling down my plans. don't think i'll ride from chiangmai to HCMC via cambodia.

if i do, it would probably be a phantom, or a small moped, 150CC.