Advice Needed For Northern Itinerary - 9 Days - From/to Vientiane

altavista

Feb 4, 2018
Gentlemen,

I am landing in Vientiane in about 2 weeks time and I plan to travel with my 17 y/o son in Northern Laos for about 10 days.

We are renting a 400cc Transalp from Mr Fuark in Vientiane. We will be two-up on the bike and with our full luggage so in these conditions, we won't be venturing too much off the main track.

I have done a lot of motorbike travel over the years and the idea of this trip is to get a good "first feeling" about Northern Laos and allow my son to discover the pleasure of travelling in Asia by motorbike, which is the absolute best way to travel if you want to remain close to the environment and its people.

I have been given a recommendation from a bike tour operator for an itinerary which would do the following:

Vientiane - Pak Lay – Xayboury – Luang Prabang – Luang Prabang – Nong Khiaw – Nam Neun – Phonsavan – Vang Vieng – Vientiane.

This is a 9 day ride with 2 nights in LPQ and an open night somewhere along the road.

What would you think of this itinerary ?

Are we missing something ?? Any other recommendation / addition ?

Also, do you know if the GTR map for Laos can be purchased from shops in vientiane ? May be Mr Fuarks ??

Thanks for your advice,

Altavista.