After the Diaster

Dec 20, 2004
First, I'd like to say our heart goes out to all affected by this tragedy. I'm in Canada now and know our country and many others are providing much needed help. The federal gvt. has pledged 40 million $ so far and will meet any and all private pledges. I thought someone may have posted already on this site but either I didn't find it or its still too soon.
A couple questions: how will the tragedy affect the rest of Thailand as far as bike touring? Will disease be an issue for travellers and locals in the north and east? i.e. outbreaks. Would you lads recommend cancelling any plans to tour Thailand this winter?
Best Regards and God Bless.
Dave

JJ.CM

Nov 20, 2004
jj.cm Mapledude, Your biggest danger when visiting Thailand is not wanting to go home!!!. The disaster is confined to a very small area of Thailand. An area that as a motorcycle tourist you would probably not even consider visiting. The best thing you could do for Thailand is come spend some money enjoy yourself and convince your friends to do the same!!!. Happy new year Mapledude ( somehow I new you would be from north America )

if looks like a duck swims like a duck its probably a duck

Dec 20, 2004
Looks like I'm a disaster at spelling. Thanks JJ. Update: Canadian gvt. has pledged 150 million and will meet the private pledges dollar for dollar. Not bad for an overtaxed country with a pop. smaller than california I guess.

Jan 2, 2005

" An area that as a motorcycle tourist you would probably not even consider visiting. The best thing you could do for Thailand ".

I agree.

Getting some interesting feedback from people, when you tell them where you going. Were on are way !

Ian Mc

Jun 4, 2003
" An area that as a motorcycle tourist you would probably not even consider visiting. The best thing you could do for Thailand ".

What? This is a totally unfair comment. I am a road-bike rider and have spent long periods of time working in the south of Thailand, there are numerous vast areas particularly between Krabi and Ranong which have magnificent scenery and roads, certainly the scenery would rival that of the north. There are huge areas of unspoilt forest along the border with Burma/Myanmar and one can access the south without having to pass through Bangkok by a number of different routes.

Ian Mc.

Ian Mc

Jun 4, 2003
There are huge areas of unspoilt forest along the border with Burma/Myanmar and one can access the south without having to pass through Bangkok by a number of different routes.

Sorry, I was referring to accessing the south from the north.

Ian Mc.

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
Ha! This is getting interesting now! - As one of the few "Southerners" I have to defend our territory - not worth visiting? I can understand that the vast north with mountains, rivers and scenic views has endless dreamlike routes to offer, but to say that the south is not worth visiting is simply not true. I've spent over four years in Bang Saphan, and made countless trips up and down the coast, over to Ranong and down to Phuket. I challenge you to take the 401 from Surat Thani to Takua Pa, with the bike of your choice, and report back! I'm sure you'll change your mind. [:D]

Ian Mc

Jun 4, 2003
Good on ya Klaus, been there and done it. Certainly worthwhile.

I've been living and working in Thailand for the best part of 21 years, mostly living in the North, although these days living in Indonesia, and have ridden over most of the country on road bikes. Back in the 80's on an old 500 twin AJS which I bought in Phitsanuloke, and in the 90's and to date on my ageing ZZR1100. The entire country has a lot to offer for bikers.

Every long weekend in the south, particularly Hat Yai, you will see large numbers of bikers from Malaysia and Singapore passing through on Harley's, Gold Wings and their equivalent, and all types of sports bikes. They don't travel to the north apart from Bike week in December but prefer to enjoy the southern Thailand touring to Phuket, Surat Thani, Krabi, Ranong, etc, etc.

So if you haven't been there don't think you know what it's like and pass on the wrong advice to others.

Jan 2, 2005
I was looking back at the first post where I put in a quote.
Looks like part of it got cut off.

The gist of it was, that now is a good time to come and support
Thailand. Thats what I'm doing.

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Well, how about all you Southern boys posting some trip reports and route information?

BobS

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Dec 3, 2003
With all the friendly infighting, JJ still has it right. Come to Thailand and help the people out by having the time of your life. I live just North of Bangkok no mountains or ocean or great curves, but the people are great and the rural area is beautiful.

DANNIE

"what's behind me is not important"