An Easy Road to Laos - 2 The Road to Luang Prabang

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Excerpt: After exploring Oudom Xai's neighborhood, I took fabulous route 13 toward Luang Prabang, with an overnight in Nong Khiew. LPG is still an Asian jewel city worth a longer stopover for cultural visits or just to hang around.

Second part of a Laos trip report (2).
The road to Luang Prabang

See also:

Part 1 - Crossing the border :
An Easy Road to Laos - 1 Crosing the border

Part 3 – Plain of Jars :
An Easy Road to Laos - 3 Plain of Jars

Part 4 - Back to Nong Khai
An Easy Road to Laos - 4. Back to Nong Khai

The complete photo story can be found at :
http://picasaweb.google.com/campusadvis ... ngPrabang#

Oudomxai.jpg

To%20LPG.jpg

LPG%20to%20Phon%201.jpg

Oudom Xai (and region)

After checking in to Oudom Kham hotel, I wasted no time to settle down. Sheer curiosity pushed me to scout the road toward Luang Namtha and I jumped on the bike, crossing Oudom Xai (1) toward the North. I had changed my initial Laos itinerary, and entered the country in Muang Ngeun, to avoid this road under renovation. But now, I felt safe to explore the wild territories of route 13, starting from the end.I had already reached my retreat for the night and could turn back at any moment.

Wearing a T-shirt and shorts (a usual mistake), but at least a “hard cover”, I went on the dreaded track. After a couple of curves, the trail showed his colors, a stony and crumbled surface, with scattered boulders waiting to be integrated into the construction. I progressed at the pace of a bicycle, but the ER6 behaved nicely, without any attempt to throw me out of the saddle. She probably took example on a couple of “Hondas” driving the same itinerary with heavy loads on their small shoes.

DSC_4094-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4098.jpg

DSC_4100.jpg

DSC_4101.jpg

Big vehicles are kings on this path. If they are not trapped in a congestion, they speed their way across the track, mostly encroaching on the entire tarmac. A dense cloud of dust is another bonus of each encounter with these VIP buses, lorries and construction trucks.

DSC_4102.jpg

DSC_4105.jpg

DSC_4108.jpg

As I worried about the razor shaped stones, testing their teeth on my tires, the road suddenly became a smooth carpet, a wonderful renewed promenade. It was a dream, a glance at a fully updated link through North Laos, a bite of the driving feast that route 13 might soon provide to our two wheels. In a couple of month, we might totally enjoy this itinerary, at least till monsoon, landslides, heavy lorries and poor construction crumble it again.

After a short respite, the construction started once more, and I went on, jumping my way up till an altitude of 1066 meters. Suddenly a roadblock stopped the traffic, heavy operations were ongoing on the other side of the stalemate. This triggered my decision to turn back, as I had satisfied my curiosity and remembered that the same mess was waiting on my way home.

DSC_4109-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4111.jpg

DSC_4112-Modifier.jpg

I knew what to expect from the pavement and had more possibilities to enjoy the panorama on the return journey. Nevertheless, places under construction, with signalizations mostly in Chinese, and racing trucks, still commanded permanent attention.

DSC_4116.jpg

DSC_4118.jpg

DSC_4119.jpg

Travelers in North Laos enjoy lush sceneries, green hills rolling toward blue mountains, winding roads shadowed by large canopies, and, all along the trails, villages with cheerful people. Unfortunately they also have to endure the distressing and ubiquitous view of a dying forest, burned down to baldness.

DSC_4127-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4114-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4132.jpg

DSC_4125.jpg

DSC_4136.jpg

DSC_4138-Modifier.jpg

After my treat of dust and shakes, I was happy to settle down in Simphet restaurant for a late lunch. This place is probably the only foreigners hangout in town. There, I had a chat with a biker arriving from Luang Namtha on an off road gear. He said that the last piece of the cake was the most messy, making me wonder if my curiosity had pushed me twice on the worst segment, the one I wanted to escape from, even for a single journey.

Despite the construction sites, the track from Luang Namta to Oudom Xai seems feasible on an “ER6 touring bike”, sometimes at walking pace. Nevertheless, I do not regret my alternative itinerary, as the entry through Muen Ngeun was also enjoyable.

DSC_4139.jpg

DSC_4143.jpg

The stupa, on Phu That hill, is a landmark of Oudom Xai. It is worth a visit, not only because of its size, his traditional Lao architecture, and his large standing Buddha image, but also to enjoy a peaceful environment and a great panorama of the region. After being destroyed during the war, it has been recently rebuilt as an important worship place.

DSC_4145.jpg

DSC_4147.jpg

DSC_4150.jpg

DSC_4153.jpg

DSC_4156.jpg

Oudom Xai is a crossroad city. It is traversed by route 13 and linked to 2W (Pak Benk) and 2E (Phongsali). In my eagerness to taste all branches of the junction, I decided to drive a short loop to the East. It is the beginning of dream journeys toward the Chinese border or Dien Bien Phu, in Vietnam (see, for instance, the trip reports from David_fl: https://www.gt-rider.com/website-news/ch ... rcycle.htm and SilverhawkUSA (the-curse-of-the-hill-tribe-women-t5213.html?hilit=phongsali#p29954 ).

After my experience on the Luang Namtha itinerary, I was surprised about the quality of route 2E, at least on the 30 kilometers sector that I explored. The surface is well sealed and the link drives through forests, smooth hills and villages along the Nam Pak river. As usual, black, bold and scorched mountains are part of the scenery. I turned back just before Muang La and, as I learned later, this was a mistake. This relaxed village is host to a traditional style lodge (Muang La Resort), well worth a visit. It is too upmarket as a standard biker's shack, but a good hint for honeymooners.

DSC_4168.jpg

DSC_4175.jpg

DSC_4176.jpg

DSC_4179.jpg

DSC_4185.jpg

DSC_4190.jpg

DSC_4192.jpg

Vat Phu That is worth a second visit at sunset. No merit is gained for climbing the hill, as the summit is accessible to vehicles. Nevertheless, I always relish to end my biking days with the serene sight of a dimming light over mountains. The darkening orange and red colors drape a theater where familiar objects are cut out like shadow puppets.

DSC_4199.jpg

DSC_4220.jpg

DSC_4227.jpg

A night in Nong Khiew (route 13 and 1C)

As morning light filtered through the curtains, I jumped to the window and admired the clear sky of a day inviting to travel in any direction. Nong Khiew has the reputation of a relaxed place and I decided to ride the short loop, away from route 13, to spend a night there.

Just after six o'clock, I was driving toward Houaylin. At the outskirt of Oudom Xai, I met a procession of monks walking for their alms round. Such scenes always fill me with bliss, as I remember my short retreat in the Thai Sangha. The saffron robes, warmed up by the morning light, appear narrow and inviting against the far blue horizon.

A little farther I crossed a caravan of joyous students. Cheerful youngsters, walking toward their education and valuing this privilege, are a touching sight. A bus was arriving, and I thought that some kids might be fortunate not to walk. The vehicle trailed a deep haze, making us spit and cough, but everybody was still laughing.

I enjoyed the morning atmosphere along route 13 and drifted through the meanders leading to Pak Mong. As I passed other children, I wondered if they were also going to school, or just rambling around.

The road is in average condition, but commands concentration as curves are often worn-out.

DSC_4233.jpg

DSC_4239.jpg

DSC_4241.jpg

DSC_4242.jpg

DSC_4244.jpg

DSC_4250.jpg

DSC_4257.jpg

Laos is rich in ethnic and cultural diversity. Each villages is different in features, dwellings, populations, activities and pattern of dresses . Morning hours are favorable to observe traditional activities and to communicate with inhabitants (in Thai language).

DSC_4263.jpg

DSC_4265.jpg

DSC_4269.jpg

DSC_4270.jpg

DSC_4271.jpg

DSC_4274.jpg

The French made “Route Coloniale 13” is not yet “Legendary Route 66”. Even for Asian bikers it remains a new territory, recently repaired, opened to tourism traffic and just liberated from the last bandits. It is the main thoroughfare of Laos, a vital spine, but without any resemblance to the national highways of neighboring countries. Even paved, it remains adventurous, tortuous and untamed, often commanding a slow pace to enjoy encounters with local people and to appreciate his gorgeous panoramas. The traffic is still low. Between Oudom Xai to Pak Mong, I crossed one single sedan car: a brand new Mercedes.

From China's Yunnan down to Cambodia, on a length of 1300 kilometers (personal estimation, not verified), the road competes with the Mekong river as Laos's backbone. First on different curses, they shortly meet in Luang Prabang, and join again in Vientiane, for a common journey down to Veun Kham (Cambodia border).

DSC_4293.jpg

DSC_4305.jpg

DSC_4322.jpg

DSC_4325-Modifier-2.jpg

DSC_4329-Modifier-Modifier-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

In Pak Mong, I took route 1C for a pleasant 30 km drive, on a smooth pavement, following the Nam Bak river. Before Nong Khiew, the view opens on the Nam Ou, with his karst limestone background, a trademark of the region.

DSC_4346-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4353.jpg

DSC_4359-Modifier.jpg

I checked in to “Nong Kiau Riverside Resort”, a small wooden paradise. It is slightly upmarket for a biker's shelter, but worth every Kip it costs (1000 THB with breakfast, low season), if time is available to enjoy the spectacular panorama, the laid back terrace restaurant (with wifi), and the large bungalow rooms overlooking the Ou river.

DSC_4360.jpg

DSC_4435.jpg

Limestones, water and a large bridge are the backdrop of Nong Khiew. In Laos, rivers are not only splashing playgrounds and washing places, they play a key role in communication. Boats are often the only mean of transportation along the Ou River. In low season, travelers to Muang Noi have to catch one of the two daily boats sailing up to this remote town.

During the heat of the afternoon, children were cooling down in the low level muddy river. During this season it is off limits for foreigners, but – as I was told - when clear water flows vigorously, it is accessible to adventurous tourists.

DSC_4365-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4376.jpg

DSC_4381.jpg

DSC_4387.jpg

DSC_4388.jpg

DSC_4391.jpg

Route 1C eventually leads to Xam Nua and to Vietnam, or to Luang Prabang over Pak Xeng. Both itineraries are appealing, but before driving alone on these paths, I would require more reliable road information.

For rambling pleasure, I closed a short loop to the East, driving twenty kilometers through small villages. In this karst area, limestone hills are eroded to abrupt cliffs. Tone on tone, the dark carbonate rocks are cut out toward ash colored mountains, where smoke and fire signal a melting forest.

In the shadow of steep rocks and under the umbrage of large canopies, the air becomes fresh and perfumed, with the fragrance of humidity. Farther down, hot wind blows again in the sunshine, with the relaxing effect of a natural hamam.

DSC_4397.jpg

DSC_4400-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4405.jpg

DSC_4407-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4408.jpg

DSC_4410-Modifier-2-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

“Nong Kiaw Resort” is located in Ban Sop Houn on the East bank of the river Ou, just across the bridge. It is an ideal place to watch the dimming light over karst mountains, either from the restaurant's terrace or from the bungalow's balcony.

DSC_4421-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4423.jpg

Despite the quiet surroundings and only a short ride on my schedule, I got up early. Breakfast was open at six thirty, but I only hit the road at eight o'clock, bidding farewell to the Nam Ou, Nong Khiew, and, a little later, to route 1C.

DSC_4432-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4433-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4437.jpg

Luang Prabang

Now, I was on route 13 again, this time a groomed bride, with minor flaws on scratched sectors. Overall a fancy journey allowing to savor the surroundings whilst gliding smoothly through hills, along rice field and near the Ou river.

Another French legacy in Laos are the red capped kilometer-markers. Their information are quite astonishing and vary from stone to stone. They do not always indicate the coming city, but a place downstream, like “Capital City” or any another agglomeration. It takes a couple of marks, and kilometers, to know the distance to the next destination. Finally, it doesn't make a difference, why hurry?

The way to Luang Prabang runs through several small villages with thatched bamboo shack as standard shelters. I was amazed by the number of large satellite dishes installed near shanties who are hardly connected to electric power. On their TV sets, people are mostly tuned to Thai TV, watching the latest «*soaps*» from Korea. But how can I be sarcastic as, not so long ago, we invited «*Dallas*» and other «*Chateau Vallon*» on European prime time TV.

DSC_4438.jpg

DSC_4439.jpg

DSC_4441.jpg

DSC_4443.jpg

DSC_4453-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4455-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4461-Modifier.jpg

For my first visit to Luang Prabang, driving to the Mekong was the easiest way to localize my hotel. Once on Souvanbanlang road it is not difficult to find the small link to Oudom Souk Guest House (a recommendation from David_fl). Rooms are 400 THB in low season and 800 THB in high season. Another facile access goes down from “Joma Backery”, on Chao Fa Ngum road, a central place to the city.

DSC_4483.jpg

DSC_4485.jpg

In the early evening, I walked up the steps of Wat Phu Si. The panorama from the summit compensates the efforts to climb a hundred meters and, in the evening, the sunset adds another reward. A crowd was waiting to get the last light of the day in their “souvenir boxes” and I eagerly joined it.

Along the slope of the hill two caves are sheltering images of my favored monk, pha Kasai (Thai: Phra Sangkajai). He is often confounded with the laughing Buddha, a Chinese representation of Maitreya.

DSC_4520.jpg

DSC_4584.jpg

DSC_4522.jpg

DSC_4525.jpg

DSC_4530-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4533-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4580.jpg

DSC_4557.jpg

Sisavangvon road is the place to stroll at the end of the day. A handicraft market offers all sort of local souvenirs and food. In the low season, there are more vendors than tourists, and it is a quiet and laid back night spot, maybe the only one in town.

DSC_4598.jpg

DSC_4600.jpg

DSC_4605.jpg

DSC_4614.jpg

DSC_4958.jpg

DSC_4966.jpg

DSC_4972.jpg

In the first light of the morning, hundreds of monks and novices walk in the streets of Luang Prabang to collect alms. Watching this colorful procession provides a strong motivation to get up early. Women are the most assiduous to offer food to the religious community. As they cannot be ordained, it is a way for them to make merit.

DSC_4637-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4643-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4663.jpg

DSC_4672.jpg

DSC_4682.jpg

DSC_4688.jpg

DSC_4708.jpg

The former capital of the “Kingdom of a Million Elephants” is a cultural showcase, recognized as a UNESCO world heritage. On my trip through North Laos, the “Great Royal City” was just a stop over, and I had not scheduled time to visit his most important places or to study his historic legacy. Nevertheless, I could not leave without spending at least one day to taste some of the local delicacies. Temple visits were naturally part of the menu

DSC_4739.jpg

DSC_4743.jpg

DSC_4748.jpg

DSC_4754.jpg

DSC_4767.jpg

DSC_4760.jpg

DSC_4776.jpg

DSC_4785.jpg

DSC_4793.jpg

DSC_4794.jpg

DSC_4797.jpg

DSC_4857.jpg

River Khan, a tributary of the Mekong, arriving from Xieng Khoung province, sculpt a peninsula on the North side of Luang Prabang. His rims are linked by a couple of bridges, two of them being open to motorcycles. Other places, worth a visit, are the colorful day market, picturesque small roads with colonial houses and “l'Etranger” a hang out for coffee lovers and books.

DSC_4489.jpg

DSC_4492.jpg

DSC_4493.jpg

DSC_4500.jpg

DSC_4809-Modifier-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4814.jpg

DSC_4860.jpg

DSC_4861.jpg

DSC_4868.jpg

DSC_4823.jpg

Last not least, an important attraction is the Mekong, the mother water of Indochina. On this sector it is completely owned by Laos. Mighty or tame, depending on the season, he never fails to offer stunning panoramas, tinted in all shades of the daylight.

Traditional activities, boating, fishing and slow pace cruises are sometimes disturbed by modern hustle like speed boat trips or four wheel driving in the river's bank. At crepuscule, when the twilight of the day, drape the horizon in his last colors, all returns to quietness and serenity.

DSC_4481.jpg

DSC_4731.jpg

DSC_4828.jpg

DSC_4829-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4840.jpg

DSC_4846-Modifier-2.jpg

DSC_4883.jpg

DSC_4908.jpg

DSC_4931.jpg

DSC_4945.jpg

DSC_4949.jpg

My alarm clock was set to five o'clock, as I wanted to shot another round of photographies from the monks. A strong thunder and the familiar drumming of heavy rain, replaced a wake-up call at four thirty. I reflected that my schedule was dead in the water, but slowly the downpour stopped, allowing me to go out for the pictures.

Surprised by a wet and muddy road, I landed in the uncomfortable position of a goalkeeper. I saved my camera from a shattering death and got the warning about adherence, on two feet or two wheels. As “Joma Backery” just opened I wiped the dirt from my cloth and took solace in a fresh brew.

DSC_4975.jpg

DSC_4985.jpg

DSC_4993.jpg

DSC_5000.jpg

DSC_5002.jpg

DSC_5003.jpg

DSC_5005.jpg

DSC_5009.jpg

At seven thirty, I was driving down route 13 again, not sure where I would end my day. Vang Vieng was a safe choice to cope with downpours, and the plain of Jars my alternative for clement weather.

After Luang Prabang, the road is in good health. Following a heavy rain, however, additional vigilance is required. Small footpaths are melting down to the pavement, rendering curves slippery and some places are covered with scattered gravels.

It was not long before the sky cleared up, making driving through the hills an enchantment. As on other itineraries, larges areas were cut bold of any vegetation, showing the reddish wounds of the earth. Such desolated sights are unfortunately habitual in North Laos.

DSC_5012.jpg

DSC_5020.jpg

DSC_5023-Modifier.jpg

DSC_5027-Modifier.jpg

DSC_5030.jpg

DSC_5031.jpg

DSC_5042.jpg

DSC_5044.jpg

DSC_5061-Modifier.jpg

DSC_5065.jpg

DSC_5067.jpg

DSC_5072-Modifier.jpg

DSC_5074.jpg

DSC_5078.jpg

When roads exist, they are the backbone of Lao villages. Settlements are build along any track, from the less beaten paths to the national highway. Despite a low population density, people are everywhere along the travelers journey. Modern gears, satellite dishes and a couple of “Hondas”, punctuate a way of life routed in long time traditions and slow changes.

DSC_5055.jpg

DSC_5082.jpg

DSC_5088.jpg

DSC_5087.jpg

DSC_5091.jpg

DSC_5099.jpg

DSC_5107.jpg

DSC_5109-Modifier-2.jpg

DSC_5111.jpg

DSC_5114.jpg

Phou Khoun is the junction city for a trip toward Phonsavan and the plain of Jars. As the weather was good, I decided to switch to route 7 and to visit Xieng Kuang province. After filling my stomach and the bike's tank, I left route 13 and headed toward the East.

DSC_5115.jpg

DSC_5119.jpg

DSC_5123-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DavidFL

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
(1) Oudom Xai, also called Muang Xai, is written in various transliterations (Udomxai, ...). Many readers are familiar with the Laos map from “GT-Rider”, and I will generally use the writing used on that map for localizations. The names on Google maps or in Lonely Planet “Laos” might, for instance, be spelled differently.

(2) An Easy Road to Laos

Pramble
Bak home
Preparing the trip

1. Huay Kong - Pak Beng crossing point
1.1 Up to Chian Klang
1.2 Crosing the border (MuangNgeun)
1.3 Pak Beng and route 2W

2. The road to Luang Prabang
2.1 Oudom Xai (and region)
2.2 A night in Nong Khiew (route 13 and 1C)
2.3 Luang Prabang

3. Plain of Jars loop
3.1 Route 7 to the Plain of Jars
3.2 Phonsavan (Xieng Khuang)
3.3 The jars sites

4. Back to Nong Khai
4.1 Vang Vieng
4.2 Nam Ngum lake (route 10)
4.3 Vientiane
4.4 Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai

5. Closing the loop to Chiangmai
5.1 Along the Mekong to Chiang Khan
5.2 Over Phu Rua to Uttaradit
5.3 The final link

Dec 27, 2007
Absolutely fantastic trip report! Can't wait for the next part! Happy Trails! Tony

Pounce

Jan 31, 2010
Absolutely brilliant.

This is one of the best pics I have ever seen, it's worth framing.

DSC_4150.jpg

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Jurgen
It's been worth waiting for - absolutely wonderful photos capturing the true essence of motorcycle touring in Northern Laos. :clap: :clap:

I especially love these

"Life on the road in Laos"
DSC_5091.jpg

DSC_5099.jpg

DSC_4244.jpg

and this must be "my room" at the Oudom Souk: the two far end rooms are double normal size & great for a bit of work on the computer & watching TV (the BBC)
DSC_4485.jpg

:thumbup:

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Davidfl wrote:

and this must be "my room" at the Oudom Souk: the two far end rooms are double normal size & great for a bit of work on the computer & watching TV (the BBC)
An insider tip :) : ... the price is a gift in low season, and, of course, they have to increase it for the high season. Nevertheless, they are prepared to give a discount if you say that you are a friend of David!

Jul 11, 2007
Bravo Jurgen,
and many thanks for the beautiful photos,full of spirit, despite the fact that year after year,you can see those wonderful forests shrink.
Being a regular visitor to Northern laos since 1973,I feel so sad ,knowing it will go on and on....

Cheers,

Lung