any cheap quick ways to get motorcycle license in bangkok or chaing mai?

Discussion in 'Northern Thailand - General Discussion Forum' started by travelworld42, Jan 3, 2013.

  1. One for my wife to have insurance and two it would be cool for me to have a thai license. I can't imagine it would be very expensive or hard, its easy in Sweden just expensive.
  2. It is cheap to get a license at any test centre in Thailand. At best takes half a day if you take the right paperwork
  3. It's possible even if you only have the visa you get when arriving at the airport, the stamp and 30 days? What paperwork is needed? I really want to do this and everything all in order for a bike ride.
  4. Yes, the right paperwork includes:
    - residence certificate, preferably issued by your embassy and approved by immigration (Thailand)
    - medical certificate

    I think it would be physically impossible to get everything done in one day. Usually, one needs to get to the test centres early in the morning (before 9 am) which means all the other paperwork will need to have been obtained the day before.

    To the OP:
    - you have asked a few questions like is it safe to ride the MHS loop without a license etc. Also, that your wife has only ridden 50-60 cc scooters. Do you or your wife have any experience riding a motorcycle in Thailand (or Asia for that matter?). How about driving a car? Here, we drive on the opposite side of the road for starters.

    The MHS loop has some very technical parts, switchbacks, dodgy roads, potholes, oncoming vehicles (in your lane). Unless your wife is also an avid rider, why not just rent a 250 cc and ride 2 up?
  5. If you already have a valid drivers license from your home country and it has a motorcycle endorsement, you can have have a Thai DL issued in about an hour if you go to a Land Transport Office that isn't very busy.

    Assuming you already have a valid license, all they do is test your depth perception, peripheral vision and reflexes. Quick and easy, no written test and they'll print out your new Thai DL on the spot.

    Any corner clinic can issue the medical certificate in 10-15 minutes, I don't recall having to supply proof of address when I applied for my Thai DL, but maybe I was just lucky?

    Caveat- I got my Thai DL 4 or 5 years ago so things may have changed since then. You are first issued with a one year DL, then it's renewed for a 5 year DL. The cost, if I remember right was something like 200 Baht

  6. I too believe that you need to be on a non-immigrant visa. Not on a Tourist Visa or Visa on Arrival, or Visa Exempt stamp.

    You need to be able to get a letter to confirm your immigration status from your embassy or from Thai Immigration, or Yellow Tambien Baan.

    If you don't want to do the driving/riding test, you also need a Photo License in English from your home country, or an International Driving Permit from your home country if your photo license from home isn't in English. In Thailand a drivers license and motorcycle license are separate, you will need a riders endorsement on your home license/IDP to get the motorcycle license, or do the test.

    Easier to just ride on your home license if you are a tourist (a photo license in English is considered as a International Driving Permit).
    • Like Like x 1

Share This Page