Any Google Maps experts on here?

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
I sit at a PC planning a route for riding, choosing smaller village roads. All is fine. Then I send the map/route to my phone. When I open it on the phone "Maps" wants me to go the shortest/quickest way not the route I painstakingly planned. Is there any "setting" to stop this?

Are there different versions of "maps" for Android 10 vs any later version of android

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
I have the same problem
Now I pick an intermediate destination and GMaps to that, then ask for route to my real destination.
This puts you on the same route you want but GMaps does not want to use.
Also try in settings to not use the quickest or shortest route. Herein lies the problem

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Yes identifying or picking multiple "destinations" maybe the only way but the number is limited and one has to keep poking at the screen when arriving at or departing a "destination"

Reactions: daewoo

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
OSM the same
Yes identifying or picking multiple "destinations" maybe the only way but the number is limited and one has to keep poking at the screen when arriving at or departing a "destination"
There is a one click way of carrying on to your next waypoint. Appears on the bottom of the screen.
That being said I use OSM more and more

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
Split it up in shorter segments. All GPS routing generators assume you are going from A to B, and maybe a 'via' stop between.
Kurviger is the only one, to my knowledge, that are designed to do loops etc. It will generate an GPX file exactly as you planed it that you can use on you GPS device. Needless to say it uses OSM.
Google maps are great if you want to visit their advertisers. :)

Reactions: Eoin Christie

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Same same, not different.

It is a bit of a pain, because my touch screen only works through gloves about 50% of the time. Also, instead of telling you time/distance to final destination it tells you to the temple, school or noodle shop you used as a waypoint.

Not ideal, but it is what it is.

Gregthemagnificent

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Apr 14, 2018
Perth Australia
My new gloves have a touch screen finger tip, making it easy to scroll the phone on the move. The phone is also on a long stem so I don't need to look down.
Google maps street view is great for planning the ride, allowing me to check out tricky intersections before arrival. I Gmail myself the links making them easy to find and open.
below is the first map for day 1, 6 November 22
Riverside House Hotel ChiangMai to 1035

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
I sit at a PC planning a route for riding, choosing smaller village roads. All is fine. Then I send the map/route to my phone. When I open it on the phone "Maps" wants me to go the shortest/quickest way not the route I painstakingly planned. Is there any "setting" to stop this?

Are there different versions of "maps" for Android 10 vs any later version of android
Plot your route in Google My Maps and import it into Google Maps.
Voila! No changes! :)

Reactions: Eoin Christie