Any KTM 690 Enduro (R) user experience?

Maha

Oct 7, 2009
I'm looking at buying the KTM 690 Enduro or Enduro R model in Thailand. Any feedback from existing users relate to:
- How is the bike on highway: is Bangkok - Chiang Mai doable in one day and what is realistic cruising speed?
- How is the bike on dirt roads: fun or not?
- How is the bike on trails: too big or too heavy or too much power or just fine?
- How is the service from KTM Thailand: spare parts availability & price, service, know how to solve any issues etc?
- Any other experience?

Thanks for any feedback!

Jun 28, 2010
I know a guy that has one,fantastic bike.

but after 6 months KTM have been unable to supply him with a green book and plate.

FrankT

Sep 10, 2010
I was there last week, the told me they can provide a book within 4 months but I start to doubt that now seeing the above posts.
They told me that the 690 model is not fully approved yet by the Thai authorities hence the problems to get the green book.

Maha

Oct 7, 2009
No green book & plate does not sound too good. I have heard about this earlier too and asked from the KTM (Kunka) sales guy and he said "no problem anymore". But seems that it is still a problem.

Do you know if the problem is only for the 690 or other KTM models as well. And any idea what is the reason for them not to be able to arrange the plate?

FrankT

Sep 10, 2010
They told me that for the 990 adventure all is clear and that you will have you plates within 2 months, not sure about the other models.

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Was confirmed today that 990 ADV & SMT have got through homologation and plates will be available.
The SMR has yet to be passed but attempts are being made for it to be approved as it is "similar type".
The 690s are not a priority having been problematic in a number of failed attempts to get passed.
They have a few RC8s in stock but don't plan to import anymore, plaiting similarly problematic.

Jul 5, 2010
Maha;271156 wrote: I'm looking at buying the KTM 690 Enduro or Enduro R model in Thailand. Any feedback from existing users relate to:
- How is the bike on highway: is Bangkok - Chiang Mai doable in one day and what is realistic cruising speed?
- How is the bike on dirt roads: fun or not?
- How is the bike on trails: too big or too heavy or too much power or just fine?
- How is the service from KTM Thailand: spare parts availability & price, service, know how to solve any issues etc?
- Any other experience?

Thanks for any feedback!

Ktm 690 Enduro R is a comfortable thumper. Cruising speed at 160km/hr isnt an issue but again that depends on your loads, riding experience and you need to tweak its stock suspension (esp the shock) a bit to make it more compliant (as you know how a dirt set-up usually wont work well on pavement & vice versa). At 140km/hr, it handles very well. Top speed is about 180km/hr but with its 21-18 wheels plus stock knobbies, that isnt a good thing to do on pavement.

On paved dirt trails or fireroads, it handles like a dream and I'd say, better than F800gs (stock bike) but on pavement, the 800gs is better as it is more pavement oriented. On tight or raw trails, it is definitely not suitable as it's wet weight (w/o load) is about 140kgs, plus it big sized engine & huge trellis frame, it is too torquey & heavy on loose/heavy silted soils to have traction. I would say nothing beats the exc series 125-250 (or the current 350 series or go for 450/500 if you are skillful & fit enough) 2 strokes or 4 strokes with wet weight not more than 110kgs, longer suspension travel, slimmer chasis (twin spar or double cradle type) and just about the right torque/power for the job. Cross bikes with 21-19 wheels can get the job done as well for tight trails (like KX250F, CRF250R, RMZ 250, YZ 250 etc).

On the other issues, I cant answer as I am based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Parts and services have been good so far and all ktm bikes are plate legal. Good luck.

Mar 11, 2008
Can confirm a buddy is waiting about 6 months on a plate now.. They have offered a full money back return but it sounds like the 690 is not going through the emissions easily.

Looks like a lovely machine but at that price you would want no questions book legality.

Maha

Oct 7, 2009
Thanks for all the feedback, appreciated. I might have ended to the world of frustration without knowing about the plate issue. Otherwise the bike seems good for my need both on and off the road. Will wait for a while if KTM can sort out the plate issue or if there are any other interesting models coming to the Thai market in near future.

yut

Oct 17, 2005
Hi Every one please be inform that now we can register 690 Enduro , 690 SMC , RC8 , ADV , SMT , SMR . Green book and plate would take less than 45 days .

For more info please call 081 793 5666

Cheers
Yut

bung

Feb 6, 2006
Thought I would bump this thread as I am interested in a 690 E but it is imperative I get a green book for it. Anyone done it lately?

Jan 1, 2009
bung;278166 wrote: Thought I would bump this thread as I am interested in a 690 E but it is imperative I get a green book for it. Anyone done it lately?
I got my book/plate about 6 months ago. The 690 E/R/SMC is now an approved bike in Thailand, and will register just as "easy" as any other bike.