Back up around the North. Part1: North West

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
This report will be done in "Parts" to allow Marco to post his enormous amount of photos!

The Riders:
Dougal - FZ1
Marco - BMW LT
David - BMW GS

We met in Petchabun as we were coming from all different directions; myself from Chonburi, Marco from Ubon and David from Chiang Khong.
Our trip for the North West was: Umphang, Mae Sot, Mae Hong Son.
For the North was: Mae Salong, Doi Tung, Mae Sai, Chiang Khong, CNX.
For the North East was: Nan and then down to Loei and Isaan.

So lets hit the road!

A temple on the hill in Khao Kho on the way West
IMG_1231.jpg

Lunch stop on Route 12
IMG_1232.jpg

The view from the restaurant (worst Khao Pat ever eaten!)
IMG_1234.jpg

The view point on Route 105 to Mae Sot
IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

The road to Umphang is a real funky little road. Really narrow in places and you have to be alert at all times for the corner cutting tour mini buses! Think that's why Marco and David had me in front all the time!!

Waterfall and views along the Umphang road
IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

Dave and Mai enjoying the road
IMG_1249.jpg

Met up with the road cavalier himself: Capt Slash. In fact we met up again in Mae Sot where he was expanding his culinary adventures.
Great meeting you Colin.

On the road we met up with a bike group coming the other way. At least two of them were German and one had never seen a BMW LT?????
Are they making them in China now?
IMG_1251.jpg

A couple of road side views including the classic viewpoint South of Mae Hong Son.
IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

Arrived in Mae Hong Son to find a screw up with the bookings at Piya GH. Some of you guys had the same problem on the memorial ride?
Could'nt make the memorial ride but we went to the temple to pay our respects.
Here is the temple by the lake and the just planted memorial trees to TJ and Simon.
IMG_1259.jpg

The next day we went out the back of MHS to a KMT village on the border.
Here is a shot of the lake and the Tea House:
IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

Love the sign out front.
IMG_1263.jpg

On the wall we found some throwover saddlebags that might interest Capt Slash:
IMG_1268.jpg

On the way back down visited this pretty reservoir:
IMG_1270.jpg

Then a visit to the Palace up there where I had to convince this little darling I was not a Kiwi before she would let me cuddle her:
Aaaawh is'nt she cute?
IMG_1279.jpg

There was a nice stop point where you could walk to the waterfall. I decided it was easier to photograph it through the trees from distance:
IMG_1280.jpg

Marco and myself got up really early (no jokes for Dave Unk please!) and went up to the temple on the hill in MHS and got these sunrise shots.
IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

So we headed down towards CNX and had a lovely coffee in the Soppong River Inn. Here's the sign and the beautiful little river out back:
IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

And finally the classic road view before Pai:
IMG_1298.jpg

OK Marco, over to you.

Part 2: The North will follow soon. Hope you all enjoy.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
OK,,, what would be " enormous amount of photos"? per post :wink:
as peter and Tony mentioned in other post, i took 1974 pictures and several short vdo clips....

So met Peter in the Petchabhun in burabhaaaa hotel.
But here is all the Stats from the whole trip from my GPS
IMG_4780.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

IMG_4778.jpg

abd here is total ammount of Km's fro Odometer in the bike
IMG_4775.jpg

minus -40393 what was in the start front of my house, so toal is 4623Km in 17days

So back in Burabhaaa hotel
IMG_2783.jpg

Starting Temperature in RD 23
IMG_2784.jpg

And this bugger was already eating when i arrived 5minutes after him,, talking abot timing, i left home 0555am and he left 0630am and arrived 5min from each other
IMG_2785.jpg

And there is no trip that his Fazer do not have something wrong, this timetrolle cable was loosn,,maybe it's because he wind up his trottle all the time to the end..555
IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

this work shop they had younges supervisor what i have seen in Thai...
IMG_2792.jpg

david and Mai arrived several hrs later and off we go to look fod and chicks with NO Nuts.... :wink:
IMG_2795.jpg

What a jammy looking dish and was left un eaten,,,,, :cry:
IMG_2797.jpg

david was not happy abt food,,Kind of can read from his face,,can you :shock:
IMG_2800.jpg

this do not need exlapanition,,water hs nothing to do for this mood...LOL
That ws 1st night and had lot's of fun,,So next day we where ready for challenge,,,so off we go towards Sukhothai
IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2809.jpg

Me & my German Buss just love these windy roads and the weather was just fantastic
IMG_2815.jpg

OK Guy, this is just not right,, have any of you tryed this? me nd dave did exactly as the sign tells us to do,but bikes did not move in any direction,Notice that our bikes are for opposite direction so we covered both directions...
IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

NOW, ths time i gave NEW name for david, U-Turn David,,Man this man likes u turns and most of them are un even roads,narrow roads or in Bends, and MY Tank do not like U-Turns :cry:
IMG_2830.jpg

Have no idea what they talking abt, but i was prepard for an other U-Turn
again...
IMG_2841.jpg

on the way to Sukhothai still and i just love low clowds
IMG_2851.jpg

Now,, w get to the point,, this is taken in that white temple Peter showed earlier
IMG_2854.jpg

and these guys start they normal yacking and picking each other's, what was so much fun to listen..
Btw, most of my pictures from the road have been taken while moving.
IMG_2863.jpg

after tha short stop we continue towards Sukhothai
IMG_2881.jpg

Any one knows where is this taken?
IMG_2882.jpg

hint #2
IMG_2885.jpg

hint #3
IMG_2890.jpg

Peter never miss the "Puss" he even find them fwaiting him outside Males toilet.
IMG_2894.jpg

IMG_2892.jpg

Like said earlier, this yacking andd picking continues in every stop and with huge variety of topic's,,i dont even wanna go in to details
IMG_2935.jpg

David and Mai leading the way
IMG_2951.jpg

On of the few times i was ahead of some one,,Usually im waaay behind
IMG_2957.jpg

here is the restaurant of Worst Kao Pat place as Peter pointed out, i even has it in my GPS so we will not stop there any more,i mean it was soo tastless.
IMG_2958.jpg

have a guess what are these fellows are doing.... :wink:
IMG_2974.jpg

NOW, this was intresting and make an other topic to talk about, we desided to stop about 10minutes before Sukhothai for a coffee with peter and David found that not amusing,,,but have to say that following conversation was fun to listen..
IMG_2980.jpg

then we took off from the coffee stop and i some reasson david accelerate Very very fast an his Tank back fly off from the tank and in to the Bush beside the road, one part of the Back was returned by Thai cpl with scooter as they saw it where it lands,but bag it self took us abt 5min to found as it was deep inside the bush by the road.
IMG_2984.jpg

our place in Sukhothai, very nice and afordable place with exelent parking for bikes.
IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

Coffee cup is the restaurant to dine and drink for, Peter for his favorate cup
IMG_3000.jpg

After "Heavy lifting" that cup whole night, next morning where eary BFast, but thats in the next part.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Some stunning pictures Peter & Marco. By the way, Umphang road, Marco why did you have Peter drive ahead of you although you knew about the corner cutting buses ?? Did Ohm have a hand in this I wonder ?? :wink: .
Saddlebags for Colin, noooooo, still too shiny...... :lol: , keep em coming !! Cheers, Franz

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
OK, are youguys ready or some more photos and wacky comments and dicussions?

So Bfast again in the coffee cup, guys(Peter &David&Mai) where in they typical Beauty sleep when i woke up at 6am,, Maan they can sleep..
IMG_3021.jpg

morning i noticed that david's beemer got a "girl"friend during the night
IMG_3025.jpg

Menu reading time and about 3mugs of coffee and arival of David
IMG_3026.jpg

I like action photos,especially when People dont know that tey been photoed,,maybe too early for some sencitive topic's if you looking to David's face...
IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

Some photos on the way from SukhoThai ruins
IMG_3043.jpg

Darn, this fellow was following me all thetime,, sometime he was in front and beside and back,, but i never managed to shake him off.. :cry:
IMG_3048.jpg

Well,, now, there was discussion before we left that after about 25min after departure we need to stop as D&M have use to have they Morning Wee stop,, so i hope there is no complaining when we wanna have our coffee brakes,, if taking about bad habbits...LOL :lol: :lol:
IMG_3057.jpg

Ones we entered o Twisty section, we must be the first on the sceen as this truck driver was still walking around and there was no coppies yet,might have front brake problem...
IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

Tec freek?? his try to contact his frind in the oil field in (I hope im correct),Mae Sot?
IMG_3079.jpg

NOW, this one i have to give Credit to David,, this U-Turn was restulted by Peter and OFCOURSE in fricking narrow road again, these guys just dont understand that my Buss need place to turn,,Like football field would be nice,,
IMG_3082.jpg

Arrived to oil field middle of the sugar cane field,, just few weeks old rig.
IMG_3085.jpg

and waiting game starts, in the SUN and it ws HOT,,did i say HOT already?
IMG_3128.jpg

Dont you guys tell me again that we need to do U-Turn,,,,im waiting....
IMG_3135.jpg

YES no Uturns, so we continue towards to Umphang
IMG_3142.jpg

OH,Nooo, road work,,
IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

Thank god it was ok,, so we continue
IMG_3149.jpg

So we continue riding
IMG_3150.jpg

First i saw the bike in the middle of the road parked in the very odd place and then i saw yellowish jacket from distance, i knoew that there is only 1 person who would park like that and yes it ws Colin, matey, it was nice surprice to pop in to you and this was your firt time to meet Dougla also,,,
IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

after few min we continued to ride and i was hungry,,
IMG_3154.jpg

David in action
IMG_3163.jpg

then in midway point in the rest station we pop in to these Ozzy girls, they where haveing some Educational school trip to Umphang,,Educational trip to Umphang :shock:
had a little chat with them and they where really hesitant to eat food but as they saw us eating they came and ask about it and they they where stong enough to taste it,, good on you girls.
IMG_3184.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

IMG_3193.jpg

Fantastic sceenery in this road.
IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3198.jpg

and we where guite high as well
IMG_3218.jpg

Now we arrived to Umphang and YES OF COURSE there was miss communication so we end up in the middle of the town in the 2met wide road and had to make U-Turn AGAIN,, :evil:
IMG_3227.jpg

Arrived to Davids friend house and got vey warm welcome and guys got some LEO,,but there was NO Chang available that time,, problem where rectifyed later, how ever i was no mood for drinking that night and retired very early only to listen Peter to SNOORE like BIG Chang even his Hut was about 5meters away from Mine.
IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3226.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

we where told that those where "Vigin" bunglows as no one has yet to sleep in there, so Me and Peter where officially 1st Guests in there
bit negative side was price tag of 700Thb per night, but for one time in there i think that can justify it,,
IMG_3235.jpg

ok, i have no idea what they are asking from up.
IMG_3237.jpg

Had a fantastic dinner, home cooked and with lot's of talking and lost of laugh's.
IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

Cold???
IMG_3247.jpg

In here i have no idea what has happend during the night, but it's David Beemer...
IMG_3250.jpg

What a lovely Foggy and cold morning
IMG_3252.jpg

look, whos finally wake up
IMG_3255.jpg

Now Peter, you talking about my Yeti Issues???
So as David cristening you officially you are YODA now, from Star wars....
IMG_3260.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

Umpangs Celebrities and us for Bfast, btw, i noticed that this is same place where Colin takes his bfast and dinner...
IMG_3271.jpg

Peter noticed this sign earlier,but after the Bfast guys where so busy that they forgot to Photo oppoturnity,,,i always have time for nice photo
IMG_3288.jpg

Hmmmm,,,what shold i say about this,,Hey he can smile sometimes....LOL
IMG_3320.jpg

then ride back to Mae Sot and no pictures as it was same old road,,,
So DK Hotel in mae Sot, our favorite.
Nw, this next section is going to be funny, guess who we pump in to in there,,COOOLIN again,,,i think he was looking for us...555
IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3328.jpg

Adverticing is important art of the business,, especiall when it's spelled "correctly"
IMG_3335.jpg

These guys had so much to talk as they walk almost hand by hand all the way back to hotel..
IMG_3333.jpg

Wanna take my hand, i'll help you gross the street? 555555 :lol:
IMG_3339.jpg

Back in outside our hotel, and with wasy too many Beers,for some one,,i just drank delicious Chang..
IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

and met Peters Thai friend, Yo, he was funny lad, Rig Manager and only thai holding that position in the world.
IMG_3354.jpg

next morning for Breky in the same place, but this time guys where up b4 me,, what is some what world record also...5555
IMG_3390.jpg

off we whent again, to MHS
IMG_3397.jpg

this was not U-Turn point, just a regular Ciggarette stop
IMG_3400.jpg

little bit road construction in here, but "Buss" managed that ok.
IMG_3409.jpg

As peter commented to our met german Friends, when i arrived to there, very first guestion from one of them was :What the Hell is that???(My LT) where his friend commented,, you sould know as you are German,, they where just wondering how one can ride with these roads with this,,
So conclution is that One NEED to be FINNISH to able ride German Buss in Thailand.... 8)
IMG_3429.jpg

I need to put this for my dear friend Franz as i'm from Mission from God to convert him back to this label,,,
IMG_3430.jpg

IMG_3431.jpg

man of you guys know Peter and those who know him would NOT belive what i witness it,, That man Ordered Vegetable Salad and VEGETABLE PIZZA and actually ate them as well,, well, i guess there is Mirracles in here as well and for the record, it was NOT last time in this trip, he re do it later...i started to get worried in here.
IMG_3486.jpg

well few pictures from the Chinese tea house village
IMG_3493.jpg

Then I desided to go BURMA
according the tea house owner, Burma border is just 2km away so i wanted to go there
IMG_3495.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3498.jpg

What he forgot to tell me was that track up there was for Tractors but as im Finnish, and if i desided to do something,i will NOT back off,, and i did not, so here i was and dictance is btw only 1.2km
IMG_3499.jpg

No one there, except the post and thai flag, and open gate
IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_3504.jpg

Im in Burma now and bike in Thai side
I was on the phone when Guys left so when i hit the road i have no idea where did they go,so i did my own exploration and stopped to look waterfalls
IMG_3509.jpg

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

Back in MHS i went to visit Peter in the hospital, and it was nice to see him in good spirit, and guys, i never knew him, so if ou guys see some damaged bikes in some place and specially with GTR sticker on it, it's good idea to Call David Unk as i did so i knew what has happenand where to visit fellow rider, it was nice to see supriced face and im sure for the guys in hospitals are happy that others visitong them as well.
IMG_3526.jpg

Back in MHS i did pay my respect to TJ & Simon and donate 100Thb to temple.
IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3536.jpg

Our Stay in MHS, with very nice bike friendly parking.
Next morning as Peter mentioned, we when up to Temple and rushed so we would be there before sun rice, and view is spectacular.
IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg

Then this following is amazing, look carefully you can see, 6Inch High Heel shoe floating top of the MHS
IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

back side of the temple,never forget that, view is the same if not better
IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3554.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

Is there something wrong in this parking format??
, now it's time for brae again,, will continue later
have to downlad more pictures to my photo bucket first

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Few more so we cn cmplete this section,,

So from MHS onwards,
IMG_3565.jpg

Partially Foggy road but not that bad
IMG_3571.jpg

Some bursted water pipes beside the road...
IMG_3590.jpg

and we stopped for Coffee in GTR's recomemnded place.
IMG_3609.jpg

I knew that there is something not so correct in Peter, but now we all know, he likes to wear Dresses
IMG_3635.jpg

An other nice place for coffee just opposite the Foresty Fir safety station.
IMG_3649.jpg

IMG_3650.jpg

Had a nice ride and met there funky guys and most likely they where on the way to CNX bike weekend as well.
IMG_3704.jpg

thenin mae Salong, it was nice place and i found Thailands trade mark show 7-11,should be open 24/7,,But it was NOT
IMG_3710.jpg

IMG_3711.jpg

Then in following morning i had to depart early to CNX as my back tyre was getting Bald, so while guys where still snooring, i sneak out and heading to road and did my Own Detour to Doi Angkhan and back road from there to CNX.
Few pictures from that trip
IMG_3732.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

IMG_3750.jpg

IMG_3752.jpg

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_3771.jpg

it was cold again in the valley.
IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3779.jpg

I had fantastic day by my self and using back road from Doi anghang to CNX
IMG_3782.jpg

the valleys where soo deep that i got scared to be close to Ledge
IMG_3791.jpg

IMG_3804.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg
IMG_3837.jpg

Minor road construction parts but with hard surface.
So this will end part 1 and will continue in part 2,

Dec 27, 2007
Great pics and hilarious commentary.

Dougal has picked up some new names recently- Yoda and "Old Fern" ha ha ha!!! :mrgreen:

Good on your for sneaking into Burma- too cool!

Keep it coming!

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
'Yoda' that's a good one for the grumpy bickering old man hahaha I love it !!!! Yes Marco I can fully understand you when David and Yoda start bickering about everything. :lol: Strange though that some real northern expert always needs to do U-turns........... :lol: . Maybe he hasn't yet got round in reading Garmin's user manuals..... :roll: .
One more thing, our Yoda likes scratchy females doesn't he...... :p
Perfect pictures and report !!!! Keep em comin !!!!!!! cheers, Franz

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
TonyBKK wrote: Great pics and hilarious commentary.

Dougal has picked up some new names recently- Yoda and "Old Fern" ha ha ha!!! :mrgreen:

Good on your for sneaking into Burma- too cool!

Keep it coming!
Tony

Dougals "YODA" name was give to him by U-Turn David :lol: