BBC Test-Video of Airbag Jacket

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Dozens of motorcyclists' lives could be saved every year if air bag jackets were made compulsory, accident and emergency doctors have said.

The jackets are the equivalent of car air bags and inflate if the rider is thrown off during a crash.
BBC Report and Video

Here is a video and a test of an airbag jacket. They ARE available in Thailand. I don't think it is for me; especially the part about blowing up like the Michelin Man if you forget to disconnect from the bike.

Interested in other viewpoints. Anyone tried one?

Mar 21, 2007
Think I'm with you Dave , although it would be just like disconnecting a heated vest ??
Those jackets look like they'd be great in cooler climes...a tad warm here i fear.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
siinthai wrote: Think I'm with you Dave , although it would be just like disconnecting a heated vest ??
Those jackets look like they'd be great in cooler climes...a tad warm here i fear.
Si-
You would be familiar with the self inflating life jackets on boats. One day I left about 4 of them on the boats bridge while I did a quick run to the store. I came back after a surprise rain shower and couldn't get up the stairs because of all the inflated vests. Not cheap to recharge either. :oops:

Mar 21, 2007
Sorry Dave ....but that is really funny ! :lol:
Yes I made sure mine were all self inflating.....much like some of our mates girlfriends !
Bet you were not seeing the funny side of the life jackets :x

Dec 24, 2007
SilverhawkUSA wrote:
Dozens of motorcyclists' lives could be saved every year if air bag jackets were made compulsory, accident and emergency doctors have said.

The jackets are the equivalent of car air bags and inflate if the rider is thrown off during a crash.
BBC Report and Video

Here is a video and a test of an airbag jacket. They ARE available in Thailand. I don't think it is for me; especially the part about blowing up like the Michelin Man if you forget to disconnect from the bike.

There's been one for sale in Chiang Mai for a few years now here:

Biker%20Armour%20in%20Thailand.jpg

Costs about 12,000 baht or so.

The place is as you head north from the airport towards the moat road. It's on your left. They do big bikes there too and it's fairly easy to spot if you aren't booting it.

I agree they are good, but do have there draw-backs.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Blue Max wrote: [quote quote=SilverhawkUSA]

BBC Report and Video

There's been one for sale in Chiang Mai for a few years now here:

xxx
Costs about 12,000 baht or so.

The place is as you head north from the airport towards the moat road. It's on your left. They do big bikes there too and it's fairly easy to spot if you aren't booting it.

I agree they are good, but do have there draw-backs.
The shop is Sa Moto. As you say, he has had them for sale for a number of years but I have never actually met anyone using one.