Best tires for offoroad driving in dry season

Oct 5, 2007
Dear All

Being a not more then limited experienced off roader :roll: with my 250 XR I have read and heard a lot of different opinions about the best tire choise for the dry season. Should it be knobblies, semi off-road or even as some say just street tires.

Since I am planning a trip in February through Thailand and maybe a couple of days Cambodia (hardened dirt track with some sand patches) I would like to ask the esteemed members of this forum about their opinions :wink: . Lets see how many different opinions there are.

Regards

Bertil Prins

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
On our XR250 rent bikes we just about always run dual sport/trail tyres unless a customer requests full knobblies in advance. In the dry, knobblies don't give any advantage over DS tyres and are less useful/higher wearing on the tarmac.

Cheers,

Pikey

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Pikey is spot on. No advantage in having Knobblies in the Dry Season. Specially for normal Trail Riding. Even in the Wet Season the Dual Sport Tyres are ok for most trails. Heaps of Makes avalible locally depending on your Budget. IRC, Deestone to name acouple, and Imported Dunlop in the higher price Range.

Oct 5, 2007
Thanks guys :D

I know now what to do. Any of you have experience with IRC GP-1 tyres? They look like the right one for me.

Thanks again

Bertil 8)

bill

Mar 29, 2004
I generally run the dual purpose tyres but will put a knobbly on the front if I'm journeying into the unknown or anticipating deep sand.