Beware of Dengue this year !!!!

Oct 17, 2006
My daughter is seriously ill in hospital with type 3 dengue which is potentially fatal...the dengue outbreak this year has been the worst on record and the type 3 virus is very dangerous ..128 deaths so far this year.

please be careful its the daytime mosquito bites in cities that cause Dengue.

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Really sorry to hear that Jerry. Hope she gets better soon.

It is a nasty one and I include a Bulletin that our company issued earlier this year.

Dengue fever is transmitted to human beings by the Aedes mosquitoes and can be fatal if unrecognized and not properly treated. There is no specific vaccine for preventing dengue fever. Its symptoms include high fever, severe headache, backache, joint pains, nausea and vomiting, eye pain and rashes.
If you have these symptoms, consult the hospital immediately where effective treatment is available.
In reducing the risk of contracting dengue fever, the following preventive measures are recommended:
1. Items that collect rainwater or are used to store water (for e.g. plastic containers, 55-gallon drums, buckets or used automobile tires) should be covered or properly discarded.
2. Pet and animal watering containers and vases with fresh flowers should be emptied and scoured at least once a week.
3. Utilization of air-conditioning or windows and doors which are screened.
4. Always wear trousers and long sleeve clothing, particularly for site personnel.
5. Apply mosquito repellent with 20% to 30% DEET on exposed skin and clothing, particularly for site personnel.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Jerry, sorry for your kid, hope she gets well soon. Anything I can do to help, please let me know. Got this bloody illness 10 years ago, took 3,5 weeks to get me out of bed again. Best regards, Franz

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
Very sorry to hear that. Always so tough to see the little ones hurting. I'm sure she is in good care and will be up and around soon.

Thanks for the heads up on the outbreak. Going to be slopping on lots of DEET when I'm there for sure. DF is not to be taken lightly.

Oct 17, 2006
Jerry, not your family again, pls, you are collecting too much.
I hope she will get better soon.
I just came out of the hospital , down 7 days with Dengue.
Dont know which type it was, they didnt tell me.
Got basically only (sugar)infusions and they watched my click??? count, which went down to 62.

I dont feel any serious after effects, sometimes very tired.
The real problem is, one is only immune for 6 months against the same type of virus, if you are hit by another type the risk of inner bleedings increases dramatically.

Oct 17, 2006
OK she is back home now ..a nit tired but she is a strong girl...she wants to go to school on Monday and Taekwondo as she has her blackbelt tests soon.

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
In Indo where there was Dengue we were told that the desease carrying insect is active in the daytime, was bigger than "normal" mosquitoes and has stripes.

and to look out for these

240px-Aedes_Albopictus.jpg

Maybe that was just to get us to be more vigilante in general but certainly we had a collection of dead striped ones on the office wall!