Beware the clicks!

Sep 4, 2007
Had an unpleasant experience on my F650GS yesterday.
Wife on the back travelling on quiet country roads to Ubonrat.
Heard a clicking sound, sort of metallic, thought it was something flapping on wifes coat or helmet strap etc, ignored it. Sound went away.
2 minutes later banking over for right hand bend at about 60km/hr, back tyre blew out. Bike all over the place but just about held it and came to a stop upright.
Found a short piece of metal tubing gone right through between the treads, Must have been held in between the treads, for a few hundred metres which made the noise, then worked its way through, when I banked over, must have punctured the inner tube. (spoked wheels, not tubeless tyres). As it was tubular the wheel deflated very fast and the tyre was pushed off one of the rims. Not much fun with a pillion but ended OK.
Pushed the bike 2km, found a village shop who removed the wheel and tube, vulcanised a patch on the tube, and inside the tyre. Wanted 50 Baht, and was reluctant to take 100.

Took me back to a year ago when almost the same on my bicycle, metallic clicking, that time assumed chain catching, then deflation, low speed no drama.
Hopefully I will now be tuned to that noise and stop as soon as it is heard.

Any recommendations for how safe these type of repairs are, or should I at least fit a new tube immediately. The tyre is not near needing replacement.

BEWARE THE CLICKS

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
John, lucky you did not to hit the tarmac !! Usually if the mechanic roughened the surface of the tube with fine sandpaper thouroughly, applied the glue on both sides tube & patch, waited for it to get sticky, put them then together and applied some pressure for several minutes, the repair should not be any problem. Some time ago when I was younger I also had some patched tubes and never replaced them for years, so I see no need in replacing the inner tube. I would although recommend you get yourself a quick-fix set and keep it on the bike, also 2 short but hardened handles with rounded edges (I used cut-off handles of 2 spoons) so to be able to repair it yourself once one blows up again in the middle of nowhere. For airsupply, I did a small adapter for my exhaust which I used to fill up the tyre with running engine. Cheers, Franz

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
John

good to hear that you and missus are ok,,,

that is really important to listen all the time fo a bike if any un usuall noice coming out, it's better to stop and check...

we are now coming back from our tour and so far have been completing 2600km,,week and half on the road (5days in bkk)

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
I also had a clicking-ish sound once, when riding slowly but it went away above running speed. Turned out to be the rear wheel bearing.

I guess the lesson is if one hears anything unusual stop and inspect.

If the village guy used any heat during the repair it will probably be OK. They do that in Indonesia and I have never had a problem. Usually the hole is small and the patch is large so the bond between patch and tyre is such that they become one.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I've patched several good tires with a "plug" and glue on my tubeless K-Beemers, but the shop owners told me (and it says so on the plug-kit) that the tire should be replaced. I thought they wanted to sell a tire and took my time with replacing it. It ran fine, but, call me a sissy, I don't feel safe with a plugged or patched tire. Tires are the most important components of a bike, connecting you to the ground, and you may risk your health and your bike if they aren't top-notch. I'd say when it comes to tires, don't get sloppy, make no compromises - bite the bullet and spring for a new one, no matter how good the old one looks - it has a hole in it!

Sep 4, 2007
Hi Guys,
I appreciate the advice. I am leaving the tube and tyre alone at the moment as only local trips, but if I decide to take the BMW on my 13 day December trip, maybe should be replaced first.
I do agree with KZ that a hole in the tyre cannot be a good thing, but the hole has been filled with a patch inside and a sort of nipple that came through the hole and was cut off. Apart from that this tyre does have a tube inside, so maybe less problematic than a tubeless tyre.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
John, a tubeless tyre is something delicate but a "tubed" one is not a big topic as the pressure of the tube presses the patch against the tyre, the patch coming loose is next to impossible and if the airpressure drops, it does so very slowly (patch leaking) so no need in replacing the whole set, maximum next time if you are not comfortable, just replace the tube. Like David posted: arh, keep on riding, rgds, FR

Sep 4, 2007
Will keep riding guys, no worries about that, and unlike Tubber I do keep both tyres in contact with the tarmac most of the time!! Also I am a street urchin on my Raid, an occasional boy racer on my FJR, but always a refined old gentleman when on the BMW.