big bike imports - no problem?

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
Talked to a guy who told me that anybody could order any Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki at their headquartes in Bangkok and they would import it - but no parts or service is available, and the buyer has to take care of the registration.
So I could contact lets say Kawasaki and order the new 650 Ninja Twin, pay a bunch of money for the registration and import tirtes and pads when I need some.
TRUE - or a bunch of horse crap? Or something in between, since we're in LOS?

Jun 21, 2006
I was in a big bike shop in Phuket this week, and the owner told me the same story.

He produced a Japanese bike book and said he can order anything in there, and get it registered for me.

In fact he has a Honda XR650 arriving this week, for sale including rego.

Jun 21, 2006
Harry the guy in the shop said he cant give a price until the bike has arrived.

Stay tuned and I will post details when I find out

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
Would be good to know the price of a bike before you order . . .
I think it's possible to get the price of the bike incl shipping and prepping charges; after that it gets a bit confusing because of thai import duties, the size of the engine, the number of wheels, the size of the gold chain around your neck and the local humidity at the time the question was asked. Then we get to the registration process . . .
But it seems to be true that you can order any bike you want if you have the right amount of dosh burning a hole in your pocket?!

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
I'm talking about NEW bikes, of course. Headquartes in BKK wouldn't be into used bike deals . . .

Jun 21, 2006
Gee, looks like I may be able to start a business down here on the bikes.

The shop is ordering me some tyres in this week, so will keep on the case to check bike out when it arrives.

Oct 17, 2006
Best to buy only bikes that are already here and registered.then u know what u are getting and how much,

beware .

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
You sure got a point there, monster. But what if you can't get the bike you want since nobody imported it yet? And what if it is possible to order your dream bike in brand new condition?

Jun 21, 2006
Well the XR650R finally arrived in the local bike shop, not new as can be seen by info below.

2004 Imported from States
8698 kms
in Motorad trim
kick start only
water cooled
has Daytona electronic temp. gauge
with new green book, not copy
368,000 baht

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Hi Klaus, talked to customs department, you could import a bike on your own, must be NEW, import taxes would be 60% of new price, 7%VAT and another 3% for other duties. Registration is simple, for a private person THB 1.000,- and for a company THB 10.000,-. The same goes for spares altough the import taxes are here not so high. If you want toi check please have a look at Royal Thai Customs Website: http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/indexEng.jsp
You must clear first which immigration status you must have to be able to import on your own, most probably Residence Visa or Non-Immigrant yearly visa, work permit may be required.
I think this way it would be manageable, find a good shop in your home country, negotiate a price with them minus all taxes there as you don't have to pay them, shipping costs are not that high. You can also check with them for a supply of spareparts, easy sent & imported by DHL/FEDEX.... Consider it.......Rgds, Franz

Nov 11, 2006
What about the Excise Tax - did they mention that? I read that Customs web site years ago. It's utter BS in reality.
Do so at your own risk!

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Hi all,
Interesting comments Franz, Total different Story to the one's i have been Told and Experienced??? Read my Post on "Importing Bikes Drama"
It is all Bullshit and you don't get the 1000 Baht Rego unless you have a Homologation Certificate which is as Rare as Rocking Horse Shit!!!
Import Tax for Bikes is 84% which includes 7% VAT. But if you can do it for 60% and include a Rego give me an Email i will be the first to line up!
Like i said in the Post everyone involved in this Process you Talk to has a Different story and None of them Cooperate with each other??? Wish it was as easy as you think. good Luck all.
Cheers Ian.

Oct 17, 2006
from my own import of only a side car I know that even if the seller abroad puts a customs friendly amount on the bill it is totally up to the customs inspector to set to final duty due.

May 15, 2008
I have just imported a second hand Rocket 3.

For a second hand vehicle you need to own it for 18 months and have a motorcycle license for the same minimum period.

It cost 370,000 Baht for the duty...... a lot of money but I paid $24,000 for the bike in Australia. The same bike here retails for 1.8 Million Baht so I have still gained on the deal.

I could have got it for less but the Thai relocation agent, Agility really screwed me over and didn't help me with the import process!!!!!! I did all of the paperwork myself (nightmare) because the clods at Agility insisted that it is the person importing the bike who must do the paperwork... lazy b****ds! It turns out that it is the agent who should do this as they are part and parcel of the Thai system.

A decent agent such as The Freight Company (talk to Sirinya) would have sorted out the import duty to a somewhat lesser number, I would advise anyone thinking about importing a bike talk to her first. TFC will get the permits and it is essential that THEY do this otherwise Tea Money is not an option.

I tried to bring in my Range Rover too a 1997 model.....Customs wanted 1.3 Million Baht duty, again no help from Agility, the duty should have been far far less than this! Needless to say Agility are not in my good books. The RR is being shipped back to Australia.

Sep 19, 2006
I am Pretty Sure a New Rocket 3 is about 1.2million here, you can Check with Brit Bikes??? $24.000 Aus is 720.000 Baht Plus the 370.000 Baht Equals 1.090.000 Baht. Regardless you still saved on the Deal if you had Brought off them. Having Said that Siam Racing have a Brand New one on their Floor for a Lot Less!!! :shock: Most People just can't be bothered with the Bullshit and Stress involved to get through the Red Tape so Well Done!!! I have Tried multiple Ways with Numerous things and Pretty Much Got Shafted every-time. Seems all the Import Agents and Everyone involved in the Government Side are Rip Offs and Corrupt :evil: Now the Next Biggest Question Did You, Will You and Can You Get a Plate and Green Book for it??? :idea: This is what Screws Most People :cry:

May 15, 2008
The Green Book...yes red tape part II?

I have the Customs papers and I am just waiting for the residency confirmation letter from the embassy before doing the registration part. I will see what hoops I have to jump through next :D

Yeah your right the price here is 1,180,000 Baht, my mistake I thought they said 1,800,000 Baht.

Hopefully I will be street legal in the next few days or so?

In any event I will write up some form of notes about the experience and maybe others won't fall into the same traps?

Sirinya seems to know the score and I would make her my first port of call if I was going to do this again?

May 15, 2008
I went to the registration people last week.

They told me to bring the bike in for inspection, which I did today.

I also got an insurance cover note from E_InsureThailand.com for compulsory insurance, cost 655 Baht. Tony Dabbs was very helpful and he is now getting me a quote for fully comprehensive insurance.

I handed over the papers and after an hour or so and the sum of 315 Baht I received my number plate and tax!

The green book will be available in a month.

So apart from the high Customs duty and the jumping through hoops to get an import permit the rest is easy!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
bigbadbobbolton wrote: I went to the registration people last week.

I also got an insurance cover note from E_InsureThailand.com for compulsory insurance, cost 655 Baht. Tony Dabbs was very helpful and he is now getting me a quote for fully comprehensive insurance.

I handed over the papers and after an hour or so and the sum of 315 Baht I received my number plate and tax!

So apart from the high Customs duty and the jumping through hoops to get an import permit the rest is easy!
Bloody hell! Congratulations. Almost unbelievable, but it sounds like you've done it - imported your own bike legally & payed the full duties as prescribed by Thai law. When you finally get your green rego book, please take a photo & post it on here.

Sep 19, 2006
Yes Well Done Mate, Amazing!!! :shock: I would still be reluctant to try it after my Previous Experiences so have to Make Do with What The Local Dealers Offer at Whatever their Price :cry: So Good on you and Enjoy it!!! :D

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
bigbadbobbolton wrote: I went to the registration people last week.

Bigbadbobbolton
Just checking, did you get the green book ok?