Bike rental insurance

Jan 2, 2005
Hello everyone,

Great board. Will be arriving in Chiang Mai around Jan. 10th for a few weeks of riding. Looking out the window now, watching the snow blowing around, adds to the anticipation!

Wondering what the general feeling is on bike rental insurance?
Sorry if this has been recently diccussed. Did a search on the board and seen some info.

Also any tips for westerners to stay on the left side of the road?
Will it be like trying to learn how to breathe again? Seen a pic of some rental bikes in New Zealand with a bright orange arrow that say "stay left" on top of the speedo.

Thanks in advance for any info.

john

Oct 6, 2003
I'm not sure the answer on insurance on a rental bike. Maybe somone else will weigh in on that one. As to riding on the left. Maybe a big duct tape arrow would help. One piece of advice I give to people who have not riden in the mountains, (on the twisties) is this. Take your lane, cut it in half, Then try to ride in half of your half. This on roads that you can't see around the corner on. John

Jan 2, 2005
Thanks John. Haven't seen anything to positive yet about insurance.
Good advice on the twistys.

Traveled quite a bit by bike. Still super cautious if I can't see around the corner.

john

Oct 6, 2003
I see at least on Co. in Chiang Mai is offering insurance. Mr. Mechanic. Look at David's post " new users" and you will see a link to the Mr. Mechanic web site. John

Dec 20, 2004
Hi, will you guys be getting your booster shots/vacines? if so, which ones? I asked this question in my own message but no-one responded, thanks,
Dave

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Brad
Not really sure about what you mean by "wondering what the general feeling is on bike rental insurance."
The bikes you rent have a minimal 3rd party insurance.
I dont recall what the maximum pay out is, but off hand it is less than US$1,000. They do pay out as a certain GT Rider on a big bike wiped out a couple of girls on a Honda Dream in the disco car park a couple of years ago, & the girls hospital bills were paid by the insurance company.
However, if you smash the bike up you pay for it, & it it gets stolen you pay up.
That's the insurance.
Personally I dont consider this to be a problem, & it certainly does not stop scores, if not hundreds of guys from riding in North Thailand.
I hope that this explanation makes you feel better.

For Mapledude.
Booster shots / vaccinations - get whatever your local doctor advises you. If you get sick, he will be the one looking after you when you get home, so you will have to deal with his ear bashing if you skip out some to save money.
Personally I don't worry so much. I've never ever taken any malaria medication & I only have the occasional tetanus shot, when I think it might be necessary.
It helps if you subscribe to a healthy life style & dont over indulge in most things. But most of my riding mates would say that does not apply to me & wonder how I keep getting way with it. So please yourself....just ride & make sure you enjoy life!

Davidfl
Keep the power on

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
"The bikes you rent have a minimal 3rd party insurance.
I dont recall what the maximum pay out is, but off hand it is less than US$1,000. They do pay out as a certain GT Rider on a big bike wiped out a couple of girls on a Honda Dream in the disco car park a couple of years ago, & the girls hospital bills were paid by the insurance company."

Third party minimum insurance covers 50,000 baht of medical bills for the other party, as well as some coverage for you - maybe 15,000 baht. If you are FOUND guilty by the police, no matter who caused the accident, there are more costs. If the medical expenses are more, then you have to pay it. You will also have to pay for any property damage to others and your bike. And you will have to pay some compensation as well to any injured parties

A bike that has this insurance will have a square green sticker on it, with the expiration date listed. The year 2005 is Thai year 2548. If you rent a bike without this insurance you can be stopped by the police, as well as having to pay all costs in case of an accident.

SOME rental shops will not have insurance, but will be self insured - and will actually pay up. This was learned by another GT rider, when he managed to lose one of his Japanese co-riders over a cliff. The rental bike supplier had no insurance, but did pay 50,000 baht in medical expenses - which the rider had to give back to pay for the totalled bike.

BobS

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
For medical info, the US government has a good site. The Center for Disease Control - CDC - lists current traveler info and vaccination needs.

BobS

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"