BMW-F650GS neutral gear problems

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Buy & Sell - S.E. Asia' started by Franz, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Franz

Franz Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Having a new BMW-F650GS I'm finding it very hard to get it into the "neutral" gear. Anybody having the same experience & maybe a solution ? Many thanks & happy driving !

2. mikerust

mikerust Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

3. Franz

Franz Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dear Mike, many thanks, will try first to work on the clutch lever & cable, next time she goes for a service I hope BMW can get rid of this bonecrushing shifts. Anyway, I never had a bike that is so difficult for shifting gears. Otherwise the bike's ok (after my manual started KTM Duke I & several bruises on my lower leg......).

4. SilverhawkUSA

SilverhawkUSA Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    This isn't going to help you much, all I can say is a friend I have with a F650 had the same problem and it was something mechanical in the gearbox (not a cable problem) that BMW was aware of and fixed. I'll try to find out something more specific. David CK are you reading this??

5. Chino

Chino Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have one, F650 GS 1998, smooth gear, neutral easy to find, just too noisy 4 my taste, so perhaps just wait a couple of years? BMW should fix your problems!

6. SilverhawkUSA

SilverhawkUSA Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    OK, what I was told is that the cable goes into some sort blackbox unit in the gearbox. There is sometimes a problem with this, not the gears themselves. BMW in Chiang Mai is aware of this and fixed it for my friend David. A call to their mechanic may sort you out. (0897718580)

7. Franz

Franz Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dear Dave, many thanks !!!! Called already my mechanic in Bangkok, next service they'll fix it. Hope I still got my left toes until the....
    B.rgds & happy biking, Franz