Boo from Bangkok - newbie checking in

Nov 7, 2012
Hi,

Simon here. I am a long-term resident of Thailand, but have only been riding outside of Bangkok for 3 years. I look forward to sharing stories, pictures, and ride information, and hope to you on the road.

Cheers,

Simon.

284116=13314-At%20Reservoir3.jpg

Nov 7, 2012
Hi,

Most of my trip reports are in video form and can be found here.

That pic was taken the day after I bought the bike in a Dane in Phuket and was in Khuraburi, south of Ranong. My wife, nephew and I drove to Phuket to check out the bike and once bought, my wife had to drive the rental car back to Bangkok. Nothing special to report other than a 2 day ride took 3 days because my wife's last driving experience was in Oregon and she was unsure of herself... Did find out that most truck drivers take the Kraburi road not the 4006 to Lang Suan. Was told by a truck driver over breakfast while he downed both a can of beer and a M150 at 06:30! We opted for the route he was not on...

Needless to say, the bike looks both better and worse after nearly 3 years of riding and perhaps 5,000 km off-road; some badges of honour have yet to be repaired...

284393=13399-Simon%20Kao%20Pla%20Noi%206.jpg

I have an emerging plan to trace back roads between popular 4x4 tracks this winter. Mainly Karnchanaburi, Ratchaburi and western central Thailand. My goal is to build maps of alternative routes between these locations so that in the event we can't summit, we can at least avoid tarmac or major roads in getting to the next struggle! I'll post more info in a new thread and link it from here.

Regards,

Simon.

Dec 27, 2007
Hey Simon!

Welcome to GT Rider :happy2:

There are a few guys here in Bangkok who like hitting the dirt- hope we can catch up with you for a ride and/or beer one of these fine days! Mulligans on Sukhumvit Soi 11 seems to be a favorite happy hour hangout these days.

Happy Trails!

Tony
C93510A5-F916-4D24-9109-2C4C98CA724C-1480-000001894E8867F7_zps8baacca4.jpg

Nov 7, 2012
Thanks Tony! I get into the big city every so often, but almost never ride there... Are you guys there every night :shock:?

Do you ride the hard dirt? or just in rainy season?

Cheers,

Simon.

May 30, 2012
Nice photo Tony :)

Welcome to GT-Rider Simon... I look forward to seeing your next thread. The areas you mentioned are of interest to me at the moment too.

Cheers

Nov 7, 2012
Satonic, I would be happy to talk about my back-road hunt/mapping plan... feel free to connect on FB - simon birkett...

Next trip will be Bkk to Mae Sot to Khao Kor to Bkk. The middle of December, and infact the middle of a week...

Cheers.

Mar 30, 2010
DualSportBiker;284432 wrote: Satonic, I would be happy to talk about my back-road hunt/mapping plan... feel free to connect on FB - simon birkett...

Next trip will be Bkk to Mae Sot to Khao Kor to Bkk. The middle of December, and infact the middle of a week...

Cheers.
Welcome to GT-Rider Simon.. After being a FB friend for so long.

Good bunch of guys in here..
As we have been saying for a few months.. Have to plan some weekend dirt ride down in Pattaya.

Cheers
Brian

Dec 27, 2007
Ha! We're fb friends too?! I've been tied to the desk since the MHS Music Fest. Let's hook up for a ride soon!!