Book ahead or don't worry?

franks

Sep 9, 2010
I don't link planning trips much, I am more the explorer guy that jumps on the bike and sees where the wheels get me to. So taking a few precaustions before a trip is important and can help a lot but planning too much can take the fun and spontaneity out of the trip.

Aug 26, 2010
Thanks guys. I might just wait until I get there to hire a ride. I have planned a day just to find a bike. (My real plan is to quickly find a bike, then drink)
All flights booked now, have received the 'leave pass' from my wife and now just have to plan how I get the most wears out of the least amount of clothes :mrgreen: I'm reluctant to bring leather with me due to weight and lack of ventilation. Do any of you guys just wear motocross armour road riding? I reckon it would be heaps cooler for over there. Can anyone recomend good budget accomodation (not backpacker domitory style) for when I first arrive. Somewhere convenient and able to book ahead.

I arrive in CM Nov 26, so I am hoping to put some faces to some of these names on GT Rider.
Thanks again for all the information I have recieved from this site. Invaluable!

Cheers
SV

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
stonevedder wrote: Thanks guys. I might just wait until I get there to hire a ride. I have planned a day just to find a bike. (My real plan is to quickly find a bike, then drink)
All flights booked now, have received the 'leave pass' from my wife and now just have to plan how I get the most wears out of the least amount of clothes :mrgreen: I'm reluctant to bring leather with me due to weight and lack of ventilation. Do any of you guys just wear motocross armour road riding? I reckon it would be heaps cooler for over there. Can anyone recomend good budget accomodation (not backpacker domitory style) for when I first arrive. Somewhere convenient and able to book ahead.

I arrive in CM Nov 26, so I am hoping to put some faces to some of these names on GT Rider.
Thanks again for all the information I have recieved from this site. Invaluable!

Cheers
SV

I was there in Nov, 2008 and the weather was perfect. Well, I had a few 5 minute downpours down by Sop Moei but that was it. Blue sky and green everywhere so Nov is definitely the time to go. You are correct that full leathers would be a bit much as it is still damn hot during the day especially in town with traffic etc. I would recommend some mesh riding pants with good padding where it counts.

As far as Jacket, I used a Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 which has good venting and decent armor, but also waterproof for that odd shower you might get. Its not road racing gear, so the protection is scaled down accordingly, but any quality textile riding gear with some armor should suffice for the type of riding normally done in the GT (touring and taking pictures).

For "A place to stay", try the boon http://www.boonthavon.com/ It was 600 baht when I was there. Not the cheapest place you could find, but it was clean and just a short walk from the Kafe. Hard to beat I think. Have a great time! I'm jealous as I'm just buried with work contracts right now and can't come this year.