[ ?? ] Border crossing Thailand <-> Malaysia

jsbkk

Dec 13, 2010
yychow0812;301050 wrote: Tks Sam. When are you going to start riding again? (pillion doesn't count mate). Your kid's back to school yet?
Turned 50 last month. Promised myself a big bike before the end of this year. :smile1: So hopefully soon. Have my sights locked on the 800gs.. Lets see.

Jan 9, 2011
lipmeng;301042 wrote: Will keep abreast with your updates of the planned ride and look forward to meet up for a ride or drink. Do check with the Land Transport Authority of Singapore (LTA) regarding the entry of foreign bikes on their website especially for the AutoPass. Remind your riding buddies that Singapore only allows 20 sticks of cigarettes per person when entering their republic as the onus is on you to declare (if they are smokers & the ruling is still applicable). Riding to Singapore will be a good experience especially that you have come a long way from VN.

Singapore is a FINE city...........fine if you litter, eating chewing gums & smoking the non designated area...etc.......but still a safe & beautiful city with lots of bike accessories to offer.

Enjoy your ride.
Thanks Mr. Meng,
I have taken a look on the requirement of AutoPass, yeah, we must comply with that one. Hopefully they don't charge too much for my two days trip there. I will remind my buddies on the things you 've mentioned. I don't smoke and I have quite numbers of time visiting and working in Singapore so I can aware of its standards and requirements.
Hopefully, on the day we come, Yempaul is available around. :)

Nov 15, 2007
Let me correct you, 19 sticks to be exact. 20 sticks will be subjected to tax and fine if you fail to declare. :)

lipmeng;301042 wrote: Will keep abreast with your updates of the planned ride and look forward to meet up for a ride or drink. Do check with the Land Transport Authority of Singapore (LTA) regarding the entry of foreign bikes on their website especially for the AutoPass. Remind your riding buddies that Singapore only allows 20 sticks of cigarettes per person when entering their republic as the onus is on you to declare (if they are smokers & the ruling is still applicable). Riding to Singapore will be a good experience especially that you have come a long way from VN.

Singapore is a FINE city...........fine if you litter, eating chewing gums & smoking the non designated area...etc.......but still a safe & beautiful city with lots of bike accessories to offer.

Enjoy your ride.

Apr 20, 2008
yempaul;301064 wrote: Let me correct you, 19 sticks to be exact. 20 sticks will be subjected to tax and fine if you fail to declare. :)
Yes, I have mistakenly that a packet of cigarette is only 20 sticks and it has to be one less of a full pack.........forgotten as I have quit smoking for many years.

Now good as I do not require ciggie stops when riding......

Jan 9, 2011
Just been to KL for trip preparation :mrgreen: :lol-sign:
I was thinking of make a fast trip to see you, Mr. Lip Meng, but time constrain, not enough for me to go up there. Sorry.

IMG-20140821-WA00042_zpsnzuniwvv.jpg

Apr 20, 2008
VietHorse;301085 wrote: Just been to KL for trip preparation :mrgreen: :lol-sign:
I was thinking of make a fast trip to see you, Mr. Lip Meng, but time constrain, not enough for me to go up there. Sorry.

IMG-20140821-WA00042_zpsnzuniwvv.jpg
No problem bro. Just update here or pm me when you start the trip and I will keep abreast on your ride to look you up when you are somewhere southern Thai or cross over to M'sia.

Jan 9, 2011
Ok, all set for me now.
27Sep departure from HCMC.
Bought flight ticket KUL-SGN 04OCT2014.
That's it!

:happy2:

Apr 20, 2008
VietHorse;301170 wrote: Ok, all set for me now.
27Sep departure from HCMC.
Bought flight ticket KUL-SGN 04OCT2014.
That's it!

:happy2:
Noted your trip commencement date & will keep abreast with your updates.
PM you my contact no & address just in case you can stopover.

Apr 20, 2008
VietHorse;301501 wrote: Two more weeks.
PM'ed you Mr. Lip Meng.
Hi VietHorse

Got your pm and e-mail. Will keep abreast with your ride status and noted the anticipated border crossing on 30 Sept. I can always be there to accompany you guys and arrange for your accommodation in Ipoh for a night before riding Cameron.

Keep a rain coat with you as there may be wet occasionally during this time but nothing alarming.

See you and have a safe ride.

Regards

Lip Meng

Jan 9, 2011
Thanks Mr. Lip Meng.

Less than one week ahead. Very excited to think about that time.
I may remove BKK out of my route, then I can save sometimes for sight seeing :p

Jan 9, 2011
There are some options for me now, for your info and also comments:

Opt.1:
1st day: HCMC-Sihanouk Ville
2nd day: Sihanouk Ville - Pattaya
3rd day: Pattaya - Chumphon or Surat Thani
etc...

Opt.2:
1st day: HCMC-Trat
2nd day: Trat - Petchaburi
3rd day: Petchaburi - Phuket
etc...

Question: From Chumphon down to the Thai - Malay border, which route should I take? The AH2 on the East or the #4 on the West?
I saw the #4 looks like fun road with twisties, but I don't know if it is recommended to ride and enjoy, or it's difficult and dangerous road....
Your advice is highly appreciate.

Jan 9, 2011
Ok, my question in above post is still opening and the Options are still for your comments.

Some more things:

:confused: 1. From Pattaya to Chumphon: Which is best way to avoid the traffic nightmare? Which roads I should take? Because my buddies may not be around BKK then I may skip BKK from my route.

:confused: 2. Recommended Hotel or especially Campground at Pattaya, Petchaburi, Chumphon, Surat Thani.

:confused: 3. What is insurance cost for my bike to be legally riding in Thailand? I will have around 3 days in Thailand for this leg, and another leg back home which planed somewhere end October. So 2 options that I can buy for one week duration (two times) or need to buy for at least 1 month and hope it cover for both legs?

I will be very pleased to meet or ride with any GtR along the way.
Thanks.

Apr 20, 2008
VietHorse;301661 wrote: There are some options for me now, for your info and also comments:

Opt.1:
1st day: HCMC-Sihanouk Ville
2nd day: Sihanouk Ville - Pattaya
3rd day: Pattaya - Chumphon or Surat Thani
etc...

Opt.2:
1st day: HCMC-Trat
2nd day: Trat - Petchaburi
3rd day: Petchaburi - Phuket
etc...

Question: From Chumphon down to the Thai - Malay border, which route should I take? The AH2 on the East or the #4 on the West?
I saw the #4 looks like fun road with twisties, but I don't know if it is recommended to ride and enjoy, or it's difficult and dangerous road....
Your advice is highly appreciate.
How many bikes are travelling along with you? The AH2 or route 41 to Hatyai or main M'sian border will will fast but boring as you can reach Hatyai from Chumphon on this route 41 by noon if you start early morning. Not recommneded unless you are in a hurry......not fun at all.

The route 4 skirting towards the west coast will be some winding roads on the hilly stretch from Chumphon to Ranong which is bordering with southern Myanmar. Most of the road upgrading works should be completed by now on the hilly stretches mentioned.

The route 4 from Ranong to Phangnga should also be pleasant to ride as it is along coastal side of the west. The road continue towards Krabi is wide and a fast one but there may be some ongoing road works for certain short stretches and should not be of concern.

You may opt to ride the secondary road towards Hatyai from Trang if you are not in a hurry (can't remember what is the road number) otherwise just ride on route 4 from Trang to Hatyai will do.

As the other option for travelling south from Chumphon will be on the east coastal road from Surat Than on road 401 and continue on road 408 before Songkhla to Hatyai, This stretch is mostly smaller villages or towns and at road 408 you may ride along some stretches of the south china sea and there will be some huge wind turbines facing the sea near Hua Sai to Ranot district before reaching Sathing Phra and you will cross the longest bridge in the Kingdom of Thailand en route to Songkhla / Hatyai. This is also a nice road to ride as it would be good to use either coming south now or going north on your return leg.

The hotel that I stayed in Chumphon a few times alone or with family is Suriwong Hotel and is only approx 450 baht with secured parking next to hotel and is convenient.

The name of hotel for Surat Thani that I stayed with my family during Feb this year.......forget the name of the boutique hotel with huge family suite & secured parking and is only approx 1200 baht.....will let you know after I check out the exact name.

Apr 20, 2008
lipmeng;301683 wrote: How many bikes are travelling along with you? The AH2 or route 41 to Hatyai or main M'sian border will will fast but boring as you can reach Hatyai from Chumphon on this route 41 by noon if you start early morning. Not recommneded unless you are in a hurry......not fun at all.

The route 4 skirting towards the west coast will be some winding roads on the hilly stretch from Chumphon to Ranong which is bordering with southern Myanmar. Most of the road upgrading works should be completed by now on the hilly stretches mentioned.

The route 4 from Ranong to Phangnga should also be pleasant to ride as it is along coastal side of the west. The road continue towards Krabi is wide and a fast one but there may be some ongoing road works for certain short stretches and should not be of concern.

You may opt to ride the secondary road towards Hatyai from Trang if you are not in a hurry (can't remember what is the road number) otherwise just ride on route 4 from Trang to Hatyai will do.

As the other option for travelling south from Chumphon will be on the east coastal road from Surat Than on road 401 and continue on road 408 before Songkhla to Hatyai, This stretch is mostly smaller villages or towns and at road 408 you may ride along some stretches of the south china sea and there will be some huge wind turbines facing the sea near Hua Sai to Ranot district before reaching Sathing Phra and you will cross the longest bridge in the Kingdom of Thailand en route to Songkhla / Hatyai. This is also a nice road to ride as it would be good to use either coming south now or going north on your return leg.

The hotel that I stayed in Chumphon a few times alone or with family is Suriwong Hotel and is only approx 450 baht with secured parking next to hotel and is convenient.

The name of hotel for Surat Thani that I stayed with my family during Feb this year.......forget the name of the boutique hotel with huge family suite & secured parking and is only approx 1200 baht.....will let you know after I check out the exact name.
The name of hotel in Surat Thani is CBD Hotel address is 428/8 Namuang Rd. T.Talad, City Center, Suratthani, Thailand 84000 . Do check google for further details. The parking of the hotel is covered by shed and with security as the entrance is just few shoplots after the reception which is at the corner lot. Very convenient for food & etc.

Jan 9, 2011
Thank you very much. I will store all the information you have provided.
I will be riding on my own. Looks like I will have a ridding buddy from BKK toward Hat Yai. And looks like I will spend a night in Hat Yai before crossing the border.

Jan 9, 2011
Thank you so much Gt-Riders. I have crossed the Thailand - Malaysia border without any issue.
I also have chance to meet with Mr. Lip Meng in person in Ipoh.
Trip report is there if you want to refer: LINK