Bua Tong Waterfall - Mae Ngat

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Wonderful that Ken had managed to encourage some other riders along today through the GT-Rider forum posting. Ken & Poo on their Fazer, were joined by Kevin on his Ninja & Richie on his African Twin. Me, I rode the Dragstar.

Starting off from Tesco on the Super Highway, we headed for the 1001 and up to Mae Jo. The road in places past Mae Jo has been recently resurfaced and lines are yet to be done.
DSC_2710.jpg

DSC_2718.jpg

DSC_2733.jpg

DSC_2739.jpg

Eventually we wind our way up past the 1323 left turning to Mae Ngat and despite a little bit of a rough surface we continue for about 1km to the right turn to Bua Tong Waterfall.
DSC_2742.jpg

DSC_2745.jpg

This road makes it's way down and down to through forest and to a park area which was completely desolate apart from the 3 dogs and us noisy bikes arriving.
DSC_2749.jpg

DSC_2751.jpg

The top of the waterfall area which at weekends is crowded with pic-nic paddlers in the clear inviting ponds of the river, today was hard to walk past without thinking 'if only I brought my costume'.

DSC_2763.jpg

DSC_2768.jpg

DSC_2777.jpg

There is a price to pay for seeing the waterfall, not monetary, but in degrees of exhaustion. We didn't count the steps, it's not as bad as Doi Suthep but agony on the way up!
DSC_2801.jpg

DSC_2813.jpg

The water cascading over the rocks is truly worth the effort of the steps. The photos at times give the impression there is little water here because it is spread across a wide surface area as well as being so clean & clear and therefore transparent on the rocks. But the flow is very strong.

DSC_2816.jpg

After a short recovery back at the bikes we retraced our rout back to the 1001 and took a right for about another 2 km's and then took the right turn towards the rear of Mae Kuang Dam. This road is a fairly good road in places and there was literally no traffic on our journey to the reservoir but there was a herd of cows in the middle of the road on the way back!

DSC_2821.jpg

DSC_2822.jpg

[IMG]http://www.allytaylor.com/foru...coming guys, hope you enjoyed the ride. Ally

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Thanks Ally for top trip report and everyone else for turning up for what I thought was a great day.
Cheers

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
The roads and the weather look great up there.

Nice report and photos Ally. Keep em coming.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Good report and looks like you guys had a great day - shame I was stuck in the shop and couldn't join you :(

When at Buatong, did you also visit the seven coloured pool? This is the spring that is the source of the Buatong waterfall.

MaeKuangDam005.jpg

Also, and you are probably aware of this, you can rent a longtail from the shoreline of Mae Ngat dam and go out to floating restaurants. The reservoir is within Sri Lanna NP and therefore you have to pay a fee to get in, and then there is a fee for the boat which, I think is 100B. Here's a couple of pics of the reservoir and this little loop up the 1001 via Mae Ngat and back down the 107 is a perfect half day/out-for-lunch trip.

CM-Dec2005024.jpg

MaeNgat191006005.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey.

Ally

Dec 13, 2007

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
That cut to the quick Colin! :wink:

I keep telling you, without inspiration from a master of craft like you, I (let alone a few others on this forum) would not have such inclination to adventure as you do so easily.

You stay safe out there now.

Ally

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Ally wrote:
Pikey, re your trip to Chiang Rai, do you know of any one just doing Chiang Rai & returning Wednesday? If so, I will join them. Hopefully see you at X-Centre Tuesday.

Ally
Ally, yep, your "road buddy" Ken came by the shop yesterday and is intending to do the first 2 nights with us - Chiang Rai then Chiang Khong. You (and anyone else) are welcome to join.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Jun 5, 2008
Great Pics Thanks Ally,I still dont know how you ride and take pics at the same time though !!! I really enjoyed the day and hope to get out a lot more now.
:)
Yesterday I took the 4wd and checked out the road from Ban Mai,a couple of Kms past the X-Centre on the right,past a lot of Hmong villages and the Hmong Lodge,returning back onto the 1096.Road was sealed but now very broken up and some very dusty sections.Probably not suited to a road bikes at all,but good A/Twin track.

Cheers all
Richard

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Ally, great fotos as always, what joke did you tell the fellas while taking their picture, all seem to be laughing about something really nasty :oops: :lol: ............
Pikey, that pond looks worth a trip !!
Like always, keep 'em coming, rgds, Franz

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Did you hear the story about the 2 Australians & an Irishman?

It is great to see folks happy eh !

Ally

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Did you hear the story about the 2 Australians & an Irishman?
Ally, no, didn't hear that one or is it the one about the goodies place and the sister going there ?? Cheers, Franz