Buying A Bike In Thailand

Jasonthailand

Nov 22, 2017
Hello GTR,
we are looking to fly to Chiang Mia next year, buy a cheap bike (Keeway 200 or Phantom 200) 25000THB, as we will only have 30 day visas we plan to lose most of the 25000THB on resale 3-4 weeks later in phuket.
I believe we can buy separate insurance.
Any suggestions on what roads and good places to visit and any info on buying or selling would be great
cheers

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
You will need a certificate of recidency to have the bike in your name. You might be able to get that from your embassy. If not the nearest immigration office can help you but you will need a letter from your landlord or where you stay (hotel or guesthouse) to get this certificate of recidency. And to get plates in your name can take weeks or months depending on which province you buy a bike in. But you will be allowed to ride the bike in Thailand as long as you keep the paperwork with you.
Another option is to rent a bike. No paperwork needed except rental contract and no time-consuming buying and selling process needed. Might be a good option if you only have 3-4 weeks available.
A third option is to buy a bike in a thai persons name - a person you trust 100 %. If so the buying and selling process will be much easier.
Third party insurance is mandatory with registration. Be sure to have a travel insurance for yourself that cover motorbike-riding.

Kaidee.com is the best site for buying/selling vehicles in Thailand, but its all in thai so its not the most conveniant site.

Roads - most of the north have great motorbike roads. The Mae Hong Son loop. Chiang Rai province, Phayao province, Nan province, Tak province etc.

Jasonthailand

Nov 22, 2017
Thank you for your reply,
I haven’t found any 1 way bike hire places or we would hire bikes as we want to ride from Chiang Mai down to Phuket.
I don’t think we can put the bikes in our names in that short of time. We where looking at just paying for the bikes and getting what we can for them in Phuket.

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Thank you for your reply,
I haven’t found any 1 way bike hire places or we would hire bikes as we want to ride from Chiang Mai down to Phuket.
I don’t think we can put the bikes in our names in that short of time. We where looking at just paying for the bikes and getting what we can for them in Phuket.

Youre correct about that it most probably wont be possible to rent bikes in Chiang Mai and deliver back in Phuket. Thai postal services do freight bikes for a reasonable price if you can find a rental shop that agree about that.

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
Youre correct about that it most probably wont be possible to rent bikes in Chiang Mai and deliver back in Phuket. Thai postal services do freight bikes for a reasonable price if you can find a rental shop that agree about that.
Thailand post wanted to see my green book when I shipped. This was a few years ago, but doubt it has changed since.

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
Two years ago I tried to send a trail bike from CNX to Nan. Refused at Thai Mail and all private carrier services because of no plates and green book. Piky came to the rescue!

Tiyaan

Aug 24, 2017
Is it legal to buy a bike and ride to to Phuket without putting in our name?

Yep, this is also my question.
I do have a bike on my name, but I got those papers some years ago when I actually had a work permit.

As far as Thai Post is concerned I've had some very good experiences sending bikes around Thailand .. and yes you need the green book!