Buying an Imported Used Dirtbike-Chiang Mai

Blake

Aug 14, 2005
I am in Chiang Mai and looking for a used dirtbike about 200-250CC to tour around thailand and eventually take to Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia. (Already back-packed Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam).

It is looking like the only option is buying a bike that already has plates on it, and registration. Otherwise, to buy a Japan-made bike, one has to pay about 60,000B for import tax.

-Is it true that you DO NOT have to pay this IF the bike ALREADY has plates, so basically this fee only has to be paid one time in the bikes life, and someone has already paid it?

Someone else told me that this 60,000B has to be paid each time the ownership (name) changes. One of these is not correct???

BTW: My dad is using a bike for riding in Thailand only, so he is gonna take his chances with a non-plated one. Does anyone know which areas tend to be more strict, and where to avoid, how about the SW Peninsula (Phuket, islands, etc)? We are in Chiang Mai right now, going to travel the North, then down to the islands.

The plated bike i am looking at is not ideal but it doesn't look like i have many options as far as buying a plated dirtbike (a rare thing, other than Thai-made Honda MTX 2 cycle). I am looking at a 93 Yamaha DT200 (private deal), still a 2 cycle but atleast a better size. It is mechanically good but needs some signals and cosmetic work, and he is asking 27,000B, i figure i can get it down to atleast 25,000B. Included in price, he will update the sticker for another year (currently expired).

Also, the bike is currently registered in Lampang so to keep this precious plate, i beleive i will have to make up a Lampang residence, as apposed to one in Chiang Mai? Correct?

Does this information sound correct? Any advise, corrections, additions would be very helpful, as tomorrow is monday, so we would like to make a deal and get the ball rolling in the immigration office, and registration office. Thanks for any info.
BLAKE !!!

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Hi Blake

There has been lots of discussion about buying bikes here. Start at the New User section and read about the motorcycle laws, then search the posts. Read the "Bikes" section on the GT Rider site.

Here are some quick answers.

"It is looking like the only option is buying a bike that already has plates on it, and registration. Otherwise, to buy a Japan-made bike, one has to pay about 60,000B for import tax.

-Is it true that you DO NOT have to pay this IF the bike ALREADY has plates, so basically this fee only has to be paid one time in the bikes life, and someone has already paid it?"

Import taxes are ridiculous on a bike. There is a link in "New Users". Most bikes are brought in as parts, whic have a much lower duty. After reassembly, to get a plate will be 50-90,000 baht, and is done Thai style - illegally.

The plate and the green registration book travel with the bike. You will pay a transfer tax of a few hundred baht.

The bike has to go to the vehicle office, where they will take rubbings of the frame and engine number.

"Someone else told me that this 60,000B has to be paid each time the ownership (name) changes. One of these is not correct???"

There is lots of "bar talk" about the laws. Obviously this person has never done this.

"BTW: My dad is using a bike for riding in Thailand only, so he is gonna take his chances with a non-plated one. Does anyone know which areas tend to be more strict, and where to avoid, how about the SW Peninsula (Phuket, islands, etc)? We are in Chiang Mai right now, going to travel the North, then down to the islands."

Forget it. Once you leave the North, you will have to have a plate.

"The plated bike i am looking at is not ideal but it doesn't look like i have many options as far as buying a plated dirtbike (a rare thing, other than Thai-made Honda MTX 2 cycle). I am looking at a 93 Yamaha DT200 (private deal), still a 2 cycle but atleast a better size. It is mechanically good but needs some signals and cosmetic work, and he is asking 27,000B, i figure i can get it down to atleast 25,000B. Included in price, he will update the sticker for another year (currently expired)."

For a decent dirt bike with plate, the usual price is a minimum of 80-90,000 baht, and will go up as the age decreases. Check here for some comparative prices. http://www.siamsuperbike.com/stock.html

Updating the road tax sticker is only 100 baht per year. A bike that old will require a vehicle inspection, which costs 60 baht.

Requred minimum insurance is 645 baht per year. Medical liability ONLY.

"Also, the bike is currently registered in Lampang so to keep this precious plate, i beleive i will have to make up a Lampang residence, as apposed to one in Chiang Mai? Correct?"

The bike registration will have to be transferred in Lampang, but you don't have to live there. But you can't "make up" a residence. You will have to get a residence form from Thai Immigration or your embassy/consulate.

"Does this information sound correct? Any advise, corrections, additions would be very helpful, as tomorrow is monday, so we would like to make a deal and get the ball rolling in the immigration office, and registration office. Thanks for any info.
BLAKE !!!"

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
One more bit of advice - check out the bike's paperwork before you buy it. Get someone that reads Thai to help you out.

1. Check that the frame and engine numbers match the book.

2. Check that the book is actually for that bike, and not recycled from a different bike. Check that the frame numbers have not been changed.

3. Check that the seller is actually the current registered owner.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Blake

Aug 14, 2005
Wow, you covered it all! Thanks so much, thats awesome to get this confirmation so soon. I actually put a 2000B deposit on the bike today, glad to hear that i didn't waste my money. We did check all the numbers, and we bought it at a market so an "official" of the market did the rubbings for the seller. We will have the new registration in our hands the day after tomorrow, the seller is arranging everything for us in Lampang. We just have to get our immigration form tomorrow morning, and give him that, and passport copies, and photos.

We are a little disappointed but better to know now that an unplated bike won't get far South.

Thanks so much!
BLAKE !!!
ps: Feel free to check out our website www.blakemarc.smugmug.com from backpacking South East Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, and now the rest of Thailand over the last nearly 4 months.

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
"We did check all the numbers, and we bought it at a market so an "official" of the market did the rubbings for the seller."

This seems a bit shaky. In Chiang Mai, the bike must be taken to the Thai motor vehicle office. There they do the rubbings on masking tape, and they are attached to the transfer papers.

BobS

Blake

Aug 14, 2005
]I think that the person that did the number rubbings on masking tape was official representing the government. This market is strictly for bikes and cars on sundays only, and they have an office that all the paperwork must go through, it was labeled "registrars" or something like that, and they also make a receipt for you.