Can a Non US-Resident still own a bike in the USA

Muzz

Mar 27, 2007
Just wondered. I lived in the USA as a Non-resident back in the 80's, I owned cars, trucks and motorcycles legally and could have a US (California) license without a problem as long as I had an address. Just wondering, since 9-11 and things have tightened up, is this still the case???

Thanks

Nov 18, 2008
Hi Muzz,
I misread your post and went into a long description of bike ownership in THAILAND. I couldn't delete it so, sorry, I can't tell you about ownership in the US, but why would you want to go there?

klx250

Sep 24, 2008
you can buy a bike or car without being a resident but to obtain a driving licence you need to prove residency.

Muzz

Mar 27, 2007
roaddhist wrote: Hi Muzz,
I misread your post and went into a long description of bike ownership in THAILAND. I couldn't delete it so, sorry, I can't tell you about ownership in the US, but why would you want to go there?
I used to live there 20 years ago and me and my trusty old GSXR1100 did many many miles back then. I am trying to buy a bike there that I can keep at my friends house in Reno, so when I can I will fly back from Thailand to the Deserts of America. The USA may be facked up politically, but when you get off road there, it is probably still the best place in the world to ride a motorcycle.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Yes you can own what you can pay for in the states without being a citizen indcluding rela property.

You might into a drivers license problem, Cailfornia rule is if you are in the state for more then fourteen days you need a Califonia Drivers License you can qaulify as long as yuo are in the country legally.

Old law on the 14 days may have been changed by now.

Best thing to is stop by the Deartment of Motor vehicles and get the information from them, those laws change from state to sate. So find out in the state you will be living. They might honor a international license, never ran acrosss that one.

Good luck

Nov 18, 2008
Muzz wrote: [quote quote=roaddhist]Hi Muzz,
I used to live there 20 years ago and me and my trusty old GSXR1100 did many many miles back then. I am trying to buy a bike there that I can keep at my friends house in Reno, so when I can I will fly back from Thailand to the Deserts of America. The USA may be facked up politically, but when you get off road there, it is probably still the best place in the world to ride a motorcycle.
I had 2 BMW R90s and an R75 in those subsequent 20 years and rode in California, Arizona and New Mexico and agree that the desert Southwest is an incredibly beautiful place to ride but gave it up and sold the bikes to avoid the inevitable coma induced by that "someone" who was going to look right at me and pull out in front of me anyway. Unlike Thailand, people in the US don't start out riding motorbike before they get into a car and are not motorcycle conscious. All I can say is good luck and when a car comes up to an intersection that you're going to cross watch the wheels, not their face, and have that "escape plan" we all need if we're going to survive on those two wheels. When you go, might I suggest Southeastern Utah as a "don't miss" place to ride. The roads are virtually empty and the scenery is the most drop-dead beautiful of anywhere I've seen on the planet to date. April-June and October-November are the best windows to travel in as it can be too hot or too cold the rest of the time. Happy Trails!