Chiang Dao welcomes Riders

Oct 15, 2006
Hi Guys,
My name is Kurt. David stopped in our restaurant and guesthouse today and was nice enough to tell us about this website.

I'm 48 and have been riding various bikes since I was 14. I started with a 49cc Hercules in 1972 and graduated to a 1979 Harley Shovelhead in 1989. Now I have a little 400 Honda Steed, here in Chiang Dao, Thailand.

Just wanted to introduce myself and at the same time let you know that my wife Mon and I welcome riders to our restaurant and guesthouse. We are located right on the old Chiang Mai - Fang highway, 75 km outside of Chiang Mai and 2.5km North of the Chiang Dao 7/11, on your right hand side. Keep an eye out for the black/red/gold signs "Mon and Kurt's Restaurant".

Both my wife and I love to cook, but we hate expensive beer and small cups of lukewarm coffee, so we started a restaurant that sells hot fresh coffee (in big cups) with free refills and big bottles of Chang or Archa for 40 Baht each. We also don't like overpriced dirty rooms, so we fixed up two nice guestrooms with new beds, spring mattresses and nice furniture and we are renting them out to guests for 190 Baht per night. This includes a hot shower, an hour of internet and free coffee in the morning.

We have a place to lock your bike or you can lock it inside the restaurant if you like, when we close at night.

There is a fairly decent mechanic right across the street from us, who can help you with most of your basic needs.

If you happen to pull in really late, looking for a room, give us a call at 084-173-9975 and we'll see what we can do for you. Worst case scenario, if our rooms are full, you can hang up one of our hammocks in the restaurant. As fellow riders, we won't leave you stranded.

I spend more time riding than reading forums, so it might be a while before I check for replies. Anyways, I am glad that David told us about this side and again
Hello

Cheers

Mon and Kurt

The more people I meet, the better I like my dog.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Kurt
Good to see you on the GT Rider board mate.
It was indeed a pleasant surprise to find your place yesterday.
The food both Steve & I had was excellent & it's a while since I have not been able to finish off a simple club sandwich.
Now Mon & Kurt's place is roadside,

102548159-S.jpg

just a km or two north of the Krua Chiang Dao restaurant, so if you're riding by I'd recommend this place highly for at least a quick drink & bite to eat, and if you're genuinely hungry I'm sure you'll get a huge superb meal - Thai or farang. Check it out next time you're on R107. I know I'll be back for sure.

Davidfl
Keep The Power On

Oct 15, 2006
Thank you David for the nice recommendation and picture. That's awesome.
You know, I was saying to my wife earlier this year, that I am hoping that one day more riders and a few clubs will stop in.
Just to let you know, on October 31st, we are having a little Halloween Party. Some free Thai Food will be provided by my wife and I and we picked up a few little decorations, when we were back in Canada this summer.
We'll probably put the food out around 6pm (dinnertime). There will be good blues and Rock and Roll and some dance music.

Sorry it's on a Tuesday, but we wanted to do it on Halloween night.
Oh yes, my wife Mon asked me to ask you to call ahead when you bring motorcycle tour groups, that way, we can be more prepared for big groups.

I have a big enough chain and solid lock to lock up about 7 or 8 bikes. For people who decide to stay overnight.

Anyways, thanks again for recommending us. I also told a few of my brothers about your website already. I think it is really good and informative. The best bike side I've seen so far in Thailand [:)]

Gotta run
Cheers
Mon and Kurt

The more people I meet, the better I like my dog.

Oct 15, 2006
Sorry guys, I posted the wrong Phone number. I was just made aware of it by a GT-Rider customer a few minutes ago. It's already updated now. Sorry if you couldn't contact us
The numbers are: 084-173-9975 cell or 053-388-011 house

Jun 21, 2006
I can vouch for what David says about the size of the meals at Mon and Kurts. I am currently sitting in their restuarant enjoying hamburger and chips. A word of warning, when ordering a meal you had better be really hungry as the meals they serve up are huge, the salad I got with my burger is the size of a full meal.

Kurt and Mon really make you feel at home, you get extra hot water with your tea, (I am English originally so like my cuppa), and there is even sofa to sit on after the meal, with a xmas tree with lights and fake snow.

Unfortunately Kurt is full till January so he told me about a really nice bungalow just down the road, we are staing there and will post details later when I do a (small), trip report. (I daren't leave CMX without posting a trip report..)

They certainly call this place Amazing Thailand, this morning I am sitting with the Long Neck Tribe ladies, and this evening I am sitting on the sofa watching the flashing lights on the xmas tree.

Must go and put another log on the fire, geting a little chilly now

Cheers

John

Oct 15, 2006
Happy New Year everyone.
Just to let you know, Mon and I are closing from January 10th - 15th. We are going riding for five days. We will be open on the 16th again. As usual, we are still closed on Wednesdays as well and will close after Songkran until the end of October. Any other time, we should be open.
Great to see so many riders come out. We have really enjoyed your company and are happy that everyone so far has enjoyed the food.
I've added some other guesthouses and resorts to our website, besides ours, so you won't be stuck when you come out this way. You can check it out under the "accommodation link" in the following website: http://www.chiangdao.org
We have also added a big gate to our back yard, where you can lock your bikes at night now.
Please call ahead if you need a room, as this season, we are extremely busy and many dates are already booked.

Mon and I will head up to Mae Sai for my border run on the 10th and then make a big loop around Chiang Kham - Phrae - Si Sawankhalok - Sukhothai - Tak - from there, we will head over to Mae Sot and up to Mae Sariang, then back to Chiang Dao, via the Mae Hong Son Loop. We should be back by the morning of the 16th, but if for some reason we are not....OH WELL ;-)

harald

Dec 4, 2006
Hi Kurt, read this right now and it sounds good for me, I will arrive in Chiang mai arround 15,january, checking for a bike and start biking for a few weeks, I´m sure I will stop at your restaurant and guesthouse, are you fully booked in january????, I will contact you when I arrive in the north, my name is harald I´m from Germany,
so long

Oct 15, 2006
Hello Harald,
Let me know a night or two before you are coming. So far, we still have room. I for some reason we are booked when you arrive, we have flyers and information for competitors as well.
We are the most reasonable, because we include free coffee and internet in the morning, but there are other places as well for 250 Baht per night and up. I'm sure we'll get you set up no problem [:)]

Cheers

Mon and Kurt

Oct 15, 2006
Hi David,
Sorry about that. Mon and I decided to go on a week long ride. Just went to Mae Sai Chiang Saen, Thoeng, Payaou, Lampang, Sukhothai (stopped it at Si Satchanarai bike week), Mae Sot, Mae Sariang, Chiang Mai and we will be here in Chiang mai until Wednesday night, January 17th. Restaurant will be open on the 18th again. Sorry about the inconvenience, but the road was calling us ;-)
Cheers
Mon and Kurt

Jun 21, 2006
Hi Kurt and Mon, if you are around Thapae Gate tuesday nite, drop in the Kafe for a drink, a few of us are meeting there Tuesday

Dec 1, 2006
Hey sorry guys, I'm the new kid on the block and for the life of me can't figure out where the Kafe is. Who will explain me please?
Cheers, Beat

Oct 15, 2006
Hi Beat,
Kafe, is in Chiang Mai...when you come down facing Thae Pae Gate, turn right inside the moat, past the Montri Hotel and a few blocks later, you will see the Kafe on your left (moat is on your right)

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by beattheswiss

Hey sorry guys, I'm the new kid on the block and for the life of me can't figure out where the Kafe is. Who will explain me please?
Cheers, Beat

Beat
If youve got a Mae Hong Son loop just look at the advert for the Kafe on the right hand side. Full address & phone nos. are there.

Oct 15, 2006
Just to remind you all, Mon and I will close the restaurant after April 18th (when Songkran is finished) and will go South for a few weeks and then back to Canada for the summer.

Still a lot of gravel on the road, when you come up the 107 and lots of smoke right now. We just took the bike to Chiang Mai for a day yesterday and even though, the actual pollution level is a lot higher in the Chiang Mai valley, we still get a lot of smoke in Chiang Dao as well and if you have a choice, you might want to go to a beach somewhere instead of coming up here, at least for the next few days.

When we do come back on October 15th, we are planning to change the style of our restaurant a bit. There will still be Mon's awesome cooking and the rooms for rent, but we plan on changing into a "Neutral" Biker Restaurant - Blues Bar. Neutral meaning that everyone is welcome, regardless of colours or lack thereoff.

I'm just getting a little bored, after working in Bars for years back home. It'll be fun, but sorry guys, no dancing girls, or my lovely wife will disown me. :-(

Now that I finally managed to get my hands on a Harley again, it may also be wise to call ahead in the next month or so, if you are planning to come out. Normally, we are only closed on Wednesdays, but....What to do...Life is not easy! ;-)

If we do close unexpectedly, I will also try to remember to make a note of it on my restaurants link, so hopefully no one will be inconvenienced... http://www.chiangdao.org/Mon%20and%20Kurt.htm

Meanwhile, keep the rubber side down and be careful on the gravel, coming up the 107.

Oct 15, 2006
Yes, we are open every day, except for Wednesdays. Any changes to this will be posted on our website.
Thanks
Cheers
Mon and Kurt