Chiang Mai rental bikes with Prachinburi number plates

Discussion in 'Northern Thailand - General Discussion Forum' started by hansdeckers, Jul 22, 2009.

1. hansdeckers

hansdeckers Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did anybody else notice that at all the bike rental places the bikes have number plates and most of them have a Prachinburi plate ? Is this coincidence and are this new bikes or just the same bikes they rented before with registration ?
    I know you can ride a bike to every province in Thailand but can you also permanently live in one province and have your bike registered in another ? The cops might ask questions why you did not register your bike in the same province, I know that some bikes registered in another province do not pass the strict check in Chiang Mai.

Hans

2. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +833 / 0 / -0
    Correct, many grey imports have been registered in Prachin Buri or Sa Kaew. That's how the contact & system worked at the time. Different strokes for different provinces I guess you could say.

3. SilverhawkUSA

SilverhawkUSA Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Two of my bikes are legally registered in BKK and have been that way for about 5+ years. I keep getting them inspected and pay the road tax and insurance in Chiang Mai. No questions asked.

Another is registered in Rayong. but we won't talk about that one. :wink: