Chiang Mai Thru Myanmar To India... Possible Now?

ALEXANDER MITKUS

Dec 12, 2018
So, I've rented bikes in Laos and done loops in NW Thailand and would like to buy a bike in Chiang Mai and ride to Delhi, via Myanmar, India, Nepal and India again. Is this possible today without having to use a tour operator? Thanks... Alex

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
So, I've rented bikes in Laos and done loops in NW Thailand and would like to buy a bike in Chiang Mai and ride to Delhi, via Myanmar, India, Nepal and India again. Is this possible today without having to use a tour operator? Thanks... Alex

Guide and permits still mandatory for any foreign vehicles in Myanmar. Carnet neccesary to enter India and its difficult to get for a foreign rider.

ALEXANDER MITKUS

Dec 12, 2018
Guide and permits still mandatory for any foreign vehicles in Myanmar. Carnet neccesary to enter India and its difficult to get for a foreign rider.
Thanks for the note. Do you have any links for me to research for the Myanmar requirements and guides and the required Carnet requirements for India.
Thank you,
-Alex

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com

Not likely you will have to organize it all via tour a agency.
Border Crossings

Sounds like you have some good experience riding in the area & done some good trips; if you want to pst some tips & info from your rides on GTR you are most welcome to.

Mar 5, 2007
I have a friend who rode a scooter (with another guy) from Germany to Bangkok. I can provide a link to his blog if that is allowed here.

Mar 5, 2007
http://www.travelportrait.de
Click on the British flag top left corner, then Travel Blog to read each section of the trip. The trailer (located under "Itinerary") is pretty cool; my friend Bernd is a good photographer. Also, a summary of his thoughts on traveling through each country can be found under "Countries".