CM: nice loking DRZ-400

Doing the rounds of the bike shops yesterday we saw a very nice looking Suzi DRZ-400 at Chiang Mai Motocross on Moon Muang Rd. They want 170000 for it plus 40000 for rego, if necessary. Couldn't start it, though: the battery was flat.

The side covers say it's a SuperMoto, but it has 21" front wheel and knobblies.

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
I've been looking for a DRZ400-S...but locally can only find SM models with their 17'wheels.
Do you recall the year and mileage on the bike?

thx!

No, sorry. I don't remember the year, but I think it was 2000. Couldn't read the mileage, because the battery didn't have enough juice to light up the instruments... Somehow I don't trust these digital odometers. I'm sure they can be fiddled like yuppie phones.

But I do remember it looked nice. The side panels said "SM", but it does have a 21" front wheel and knobbly tyres.

I'm sure one of the CM locals will help you out, getting more info.

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
beddhist wrote: ...They want 170000 for it plus 40000 for rego, if necessary.
Thx, beddhist, for the reply. I think they are asking way too much for a 2000, as I've spotted a 2007 SM,fresh from Japan, with 8K-km for 230-240k-Bt. Price is with BKK regged plate in my name.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

A DRZ-400 Suzuki, mint condition, is around this price in Thailand (200~230 KTBH) not older than 3~4 years including Green Book with few month guarantee.

Trust shops such as Red Baron BKK, they have some from time to time and it's always value and service for money.

At present they have one 2008 model but maybe it could be out of the budget.

I bought mine, summer 2007, one year ago and I am very happy with it, having service it there as well (oil, filter, spark plug..).

Avoid tricky shops, better pay the price and avoid problems.

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Avoid tricky shops, better pay the price and avoid problems.

I don't agree so much Azoulay... Depends if you know what you want, what to buy and at what price IMHO. Oh, and check in depth the green book!
If you know a little about motorcycle, you can make good bargains...

OK, you can go for some risks, but not so much. A motorcycle is not more than an engine, some stuff around and pieces of steel and plastic... Many times it's not so difficult to check, and if necessary to fix or get fixed.

But I understand that to avoid problems and get a motorcycle in a mint original condition, better to buy a brand new one or a "nearly" new one, and in a "well known" shop!..

Just my point of view :roll:

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Sorry, I made something wrong with the quoting!
I wanted to go quick and then, heeeeeeeem!
So, it is:

Avoid tricky shops, better pay the price and avoid problems
I don't agree so much Azoulay... Depends if you know what you want, what to buy and at what price IMHO. Oh, and check in depth the green book!
If you know a little about motorcycle, you can make good bargains...

OK, you can go for some risks, but not so much. A motorcycle is not more than an engine, some stuff around and pieces of steel and plastic... Many times it's not so difficult to check, and if necessary to fix or get fixed.

But I understand that to avoid problems and get a motorcycle in a mint original condition, better to buy a brand new one or a "nearly" new one, and in a "well known" shop!..

Just my point of view :roll:

Cheers

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friend Gobs,

I won't argue to much with you because for sure you are right (by definition), however:

-about my knowledge on bikes, just check my profile
-not being in my country, not understanding and speaking the language, I would go preferably to the easy tracks
-about Green Book issue, even if it's well know that there are some tricks with this, I much prefer to go for clean issues than for some "saucissons" (transformed stolen bikes). It's not only the fear to be caught but as well the respect of the Worldwide Rider Communauty, we should not support bike stealing

But for the rest, fully right, why should we pay more ? For my gooself, I found a good compromise between value for money and excellent service with Red Baron, thus I stay with them since years...And like old dogs, I think I am fidel.

Cheers

Jun 14, 2008
Hello there ,i have an 2006 drz400s with nobbies and ewerything u need
for speed and power....lets face it an stock drz400 is darn booring piece of an instrument as soon as u get used to the power u WILL face the fact
that u want more whell i have MORE...FMF Q2 FULL SYSTEM with power bomb header, KEIHIN 41mm race carburetor(properly jetted), ATHENA 440cc big bore kit,
HOTCAMS intake and out-take...green book white license plate...i bought it 5 months ago and now i am in to MX almoust ewery day...so my time driving with my DRZ is not much...i bought it for 245 000...and i put around 100 000 for after market stuff on it so i wount sell it cheap
280 000 is what i am asking for it...and its worth it...man the bike RIPS !

jimoi

Nov 17, 2004
there is a sweet DRZ 400 in Vientiane caught up in a paperwork nightmare, price is 120.000 Thai Baht and exportable to Thailand via the coconut telegraph lines.

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
xorron5 wrote: Hello there ,i have an 2006 drz400s with nobbies ...FMF Q2 FULL SYSTEM with power bomb header, KEIHIN 41mm race carburetor(properly jetted), ATHENA 440cc big bore kit, HOTCAMS intake and out-take...green book white license plate...i bought it 5 months ago !......
xorron5...
I'm curious! I seen you and your DRZ just after you bought it at Joe's, but I thought it had the stock 400cc engine at that time, but came with the pipe and 41mm carb.. Were any of the upgrades to the bike done at shops in Pattaya???

If so, considering your post (in the 'Any Message Here forum") about having major problems getting service to your YZ459F...who did the service on your DRZ??

Jun 14, 2008
drz400s was served at joes there they allso installed new big bore cylinder kit (ATHENA 440cc) and HOTCAMS (all specially ordered from usa. and payd killer tax in customs)..carburetor tuning is done else where ..joes shop is not specialized on tuning carburetors...and neather motocross bikes...i found finally an good mechanic for my motocross bike who allso noticed
that the valve clearances where out of spec and that non of the earlyer dudes had done anything about them..