Considering a Yamaha FZ-6

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
I agree with you Bard: I want my pleasure first if I can offer it to me! As I don't like the ER6 (no offence, here, just my feeling), why should I buy it, even at a lower price?..

By an other way...
The insider (see reply above) explained to me that this year the price increase is due to a new or increase public tax based on the engine capacity for the more than 250cc bikes. But I didn't understand if it's a new import tax or an "internal" tax... He was a bit desperate but trust the brand "hard-like-titanium"... Yamaha customers know what they want and what they buy!

Needless to say that he bashed with both hands on the ER6 (and on the KLR-DTr 250 as well) with some technical arguments and the too famous "made in Thailand vs made in Japan" theme... No offence again...
Well as we were speaking big bikes, I didn't dare to ask him where the Fino and family were made...

Cheers,
Gobs

Dec 27, 2007
gobs wrote: I agree with you Bard: I want my pleasure first if I can offer it to me! As I don't like the ER6 (no offence, here, just my feeling), why should I buy it, even at a lower price?..

By an other way...
The insider (see reply above) explained to me that this year the price increase is due to a new or increase public tax based on the engine capacity for the more than 250cc bikes. But I didn't understand if it's a new import tax or an "internal" tax... He was a bit desperate but trust the brand "hard-like-titanium"... Yamaha customers know what they want and what they buy!

Needless to say that he bashed with both hands on the ER6 (and on the KLR-DTr 250 as well) with some technical arguments and the too famous "made in Thailand vs made in Japan" theme... No offence again...
Well as we were speaking big bikes, I didn't dare to ask him where the Fino and family were made...

Cheers,
Gobs
Salut Gobs,

No tax increase on bikes in 2009, in fact, thanks to the Japan-Thailand Free Trade Agreement the tax rate is reduced every year on Japanese imports, including motorcycles. But the strength of the Japanese Yen against the Thai Baht naturally makes Japanese products more expensive.

As far as the quality of Thai built Kawasaki, well, they've been exporting Kawasakis from Thailand for many years now and I've not read any complaints about quality. (I do hear that there is a recall of the D-tracker as the ECU apparently can't handle Thai heat and eventually overheats). That's not the fault of the Thai factory, but rather the Japanese engineers who designed the bike, right?

The Ninja 250 is the best selling motorcycle in the US, is produced in Thailand, and enjoys an excellent reputation for quality and reliability.

I'm not brand loyal- I choose bikes based on performance and price and looks. My first bike way way back was a Kawasaki GPz550, then it was only Honda CBRs for many years. Briefly rode a Yamaha FZR exup and sorry- it had a very strong engine, but otherwise it was a piece of crap... Then back to Hondas until I moved to Thailand and was shocked at the price of imported bikes.

Feel quite lucky that Kawasaki started selling bigger bikes right after I moved to Thailand. I'm not rich and have a family to support and as much as I love the FZ6 there's just no way I can justify paying 447,000 last year or 490,000 this year for a bike that sells for less than HALF that price back home. If Kawasaki wasn't selling big bikes for half the price, then maybe I'd consider an overpriced Japanese import.

For you guys who can afford the overpriced Yamahas- bravo! For me I'm very happy with my 225,000 Baht Kawasaki ER6n and look forward to the ~280,000 ER6f this fall.

Happy Trails!

Tony

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Congradulations to everyone that has purchased a Two Wheeled Motorcycle, a great wise purchase. I not really interested which is better, cheaper, faster, multi-purpose use and a built-in esky for coldies. I just hope you enjoy the riding and one day when you come to Chiang Mai we can have a ride and beer together.
I own a Yammy & Honda, would luv to own a Kawa, Triumph and Suzi.

Cheers Ken F

bard

Oct 2, 2008
Right now I'm at work, but are planning the next tour when I get back home. I see I was the only one who put in a trip report from the SSR 1 ride the others has still not posted yet.

Anyways we were in Chiang Mai and meet up with lot of the guys, and defo when I get home that is on my list again. My real favorite place became Mae Hong Son, where we went to Crossroads and meet the girl who runs the place who also is a biker (Honda 250 Hornet) and meet up with some really nice local bikers there who showed us around a bit and was the friendliest place you can imagine. Very nice place loved it, probably because I did not expect bikers and a cool biker bar there...

But absolutely I will haunt to roads up North again, get some more advice from Dave U. on good trips and enjoy life again.

See you there KenYam

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Bard I am happy to catch up whenever, right now vegetation at north is brown and dry. I also have experienced a friendly beer at the Crossroads bar, and the massage shop about 100 metres away was very good as well. It would be good to see Gobs out for a ride ! Whenever we ride everybody feels free to ride at there own comfort levels / speed. Unfortunately I should be going away to work soon.

Cheers Ken F

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Hi friends,
Hi Tony, Bard and Ken,

Let's not confuse: in my replies the words come from "the Yam company insider" a little desperate by the amount of ER6 sells. I too am not a brand loyal rider... Through "the ages" :roll: I owned bikes from a lot of different brands (and capacity, colors, and so on) and was happy with them. As did (and do still) many friends back home in Europe or in LOS...
I do agree with you: no matter the bike brand/capacity/use or whatever. First of all is the pleasure this bike give to his owner, the glitters in his eyes and the swing in his soul...

But hey!, each one has its own taste too... and uses its purse to its satisfaction. It was what I did when I went for a FZ6: I took in account my pleasure AND my purse, and bingo: here in LOS it has been the FZ6!

No conflict, offence or arrogance here... Just feelings.

Cheers to all,
Gobs

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Wow, I missed some replies!

OK for a ride Ken, thanks. But you know, I'm a "lazy" biker and ride very cool, even with a FZ6! :lol:
I can't do 1000 km in 9 hours as did Bard!

I'm sometimes busy too and miss the event...
And to say the truth a bit loner... :oops:

No matter, meet you a next time...

Cheers

bard

Oct 2, 2008
I'll be home the 27th and stay home until the 22nd of May so if your home Ken, I'll come up with my fizzer for a tour.

Maybe I can put a lanyard to Gobs and pull him behind me ;)

Cheers Bard