Crossing into Laos on the Mukdahan – Savannakhet bridge by motorcycle.

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
Crossing from Mukdahan to Savannakhet across the bridge by motorcycle has been banded.

Until recently, bikes with foreign riders were allowed to cross without to much trouble. But there’s now a new person in change, and he will not allow any bike on the bridge unless it’s in the back of a pick up.

Moto-Rex

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
WHY??? Thai or Lao authorities come up with this marvellous new rule Moto-Rex. Another one of those scratch your head and move on to the next crossing.
But isn't Tarhket (spelling wrong) the new bridge same rule - no bikes allow too use?

Cheers

Nov 21, 2010
As in Thailand there is not difference between a Honda Wave 125 and a Kawaski Versys, letting bikes over the bridges would spill Laos roads with Thai on their Honda Wave's all over Laos. Of course they could impose a 1000thb entrance fee to keep those Honda Wave's out.

You are actually also not allowed to walk over the bridge, as that would create a all market on the bridge?

Chang Noi

Sep 30, 2011
so is it possible at all to get my thai registered scooter into laos??

was planning to go BKK>CM>CR>laos for a month or however long visa i can get>cambodai the same>back to laos>back into thailand...

seems so tricky!!

Dec 27, 2007
sydneycraig;284775 wrote: so is it possible at all to get my thai registered scooter into laos??

was planning to go BKK>CM>CR>laos for a month or however long visa i can get>cambodai the same>back to laos>back into thailand...

seems so tricky!!
Not tricky at all. There are answers to any specific questions you might have on this forum.

Dec 27, 2007
FWIW we recently rode our bikes from Nong Khai to Vientiene across the Friendship Bridge and no one seemed to care even though there is a big "no bikes" sign at the entrance to the bridge.