D-Tracker impression

Sep 11, 2006
Just got me the D-Tracker in Surat Thani. Good dealer, friendly people although very limited English. Shop looks clean and professional, and mechanics seem to know what they're doing. Got the first servicing at 1000 km done and so far the D-Tracker has been a very fine bike. Took it on a tour from Surat to Phang Nga, Khao Lak, Laem Son NP, Phato, back to Surat and onto Chumphon (where I took it on the nightboat over to Koh Tao). Didn't do any offroad work though. Koh Tao will be as much offroad as my D-Tracker will get to see ;-)

Noticed the limitation in revs which on the highways sometimes was a bit of a pain as well as going uphill when just that little xtra revving would have bene useful. Could have done with 10 to 20 km/h more than the limited 110km/h on the highway. Was loaded with luggage on the carrier rack, and girlfriend however and in spite of the expected seat-pain and necessary stop every hour to get the tingling out of the hands (if riding over 80km/h) and the butt back into shape, I'm very satisfied with the bike. That said, there seems to be a small problem with the electronic start. It sometimes needs 5 to 6 tries before it actually does start. Met a brand new KLX owner along the way who seemed to have the same problems. Bike will eventually always start but takes a few tries. Anyone who has come across this problem too? Any solutions to this?

Think the electronic console is very good, like the fuel indicator and I think the head lights are very good. Am used to a mid 90's XR and the lights on the D-Tracker as much much better.

Am very interested in how to get past the rev constriction and therefore a little more power and speed. Will keep on following Jonadda's post at https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... t5195.html with great interest.

Nov 2, 2008
That said, there seems to be a small problem with the electronic start. It sometimes needs 5 to 6 tries before it actually does start. Met a brand new KLX owner along the way who seemed to have the same problems. Bike will eventually always start but takes a few tries. Anyone who has come across this problem too? Any solutions to this?
Experienced exactly the same problem on mine, figuring at times some amount of warranty work may be in order, and when in for my 1000 km they guided my hand on the throttle when starting my bike. Just turn the throttle until resistance is first felt and the tiniest bit more, and the bike starts immediately – if I get that sweet spot just right. Do fuel injected bikes start differently then carbureted bikes?

Likewise at first thought the rev restriction is way overdone and with the second 1000km feel it keeps your mileage decent on highway travel, heat and revs down, and vibrations! Curious how the D-tracker feels at 145 km....

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
"Do fuel injected bikes start differently then carbureted bikes?"

They sure do, in fact with all those sensors it should sense that the engine is cold and make up for that with a richer mixture. Funny that the dealer showed you a trick that one usually uses on a bike with a carburator.
It's a habit of mine to open the throttle all the way for an instant in the morning before I even turn on the ignition. I've done it for years with all my bikes and can't say if it helps any, but they always started just fine. Most of my bikes had carbs.
In your case I'd say a check of the FI mapping should be done. Can't imagine that it would improve on its own.

Apr 22, 2003
Yeah dont touch the throttle
Kawasaki are experiancing another problem, alot of the D-Tracker and KLX are cutting out around the idle, mine also, i believe they are getting a tecko from japan to look at it, but what i have noticed it mainly does it in heavy traffic and i have no problem out of town in a cleaner enviroment.
We have the deristrictor all sorted out now and are ready to go to modify any bodys bike who wants it done, with over 2000 klms of testing and no problems were confident we have it spot on. So if you can make it to Chiangmai we can sort it out for you.
John

Nov 2, 2008
Jon, though most of my riding is under 100, the ability to occasionally going over 115 kph to outrun aggressive Vigos is starting look darn attractive.

Leaving my throttle alone might require a 10-15 second crank before she fires cold; just barely applying the throttle starts it immediately. Thought that was weird for a bike with such a large collection of electronic bits hiding under the side plastic.

Think I’m off-base here, but during the first few hundred kilometers the clutch cable stretches from new, allowing stalling at idle unless the is clutch is fully engaged. A simple spin on the cable adjuster sets that right easily enough.

Cheers,
Kev