Day Trip: The MHS Loop on a Honda Dream.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Don't know if you guys would find it useful to have someone with a truck following the group carrying what ever may be needed (fuel for Franz's bike, etc.) but can join either on the 5th or the 6th - just let me know.

Nov 2, 2008
Franz wrote: Fishenough, I wouldn't worry about the Click, my Step has to haul my 100+ kgs up the mountains is also an 125 automatic-belt driven, only thing I need to care is some 4 lts spare petrol as this one's a real guzzler. Anyway see you all on Wed or Thu at 06:00 in front of the Kafe, cheers, Franz
Kinda figured that the extra gas the slower Click uses would pay for a Wave rental, and it might be needed around here. Still working on clearing Wednesday with the boss.

Cheers,
Kevin

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Wednesday it is then.

RIDERS
David Unk
Franz
Moto-Rex
MIss Yui
Ally
Fishenough

DEPART from outside Mr Mechanic / The Kafe 6.15AM
Ride south along R108

THE MASTERPLAN
1st stop Hot, for fuel & quick drink at Shell on right hand side going into town
2nd stop Kong Loi, for fuel & quick drink at Cosmo gas station left side for fuel & quick drink
3rd stop Mae Sarieng, for fuel & quick drink at PTT right hand side on the super heading North
4th stop Khun Yuam, for fuel & quick drink at PTT right hand side, south side of town.
5th stop Mae Hong Son. Lunch break / foot massage combined. Fuel up at Shell Pang Mu, left side north of town.
6th stop Soppong, for fuel & quick drink at PT gas station, left side in town.
7th stop Pai, for fuel & quick drink at PTT left hand side, Chiang Mai end of town
8th stop Mae Sa, for fuel & quick drink.
9th stop, Mae Malai fuel & longer? (should be feeling it by then) drink.
10th stop, home Chiang Mai. Miguels Nong Hoi / X-Centre?

Bring some rain gear. There should be a shower (& maybe a semi violent summer thunderstorm.)
I will have a couple of 4-litre oil containers for spare fuel, should anyone have good luck for the photographers. + a litre oil engine oil as a precaution.

Auke your generous offer is gratefully accepted. Please come, but let's hope we don't need you...

Arrive fueled up, ready to go.
Check your tyres & oil beforehand.
Strap on your rain gear + someone help carry a 4-litre oil container with fuel.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
OK, I'll be there around 6.10 or so and can carry stuff like fuel, rain-gear,etc. See you tomorrow.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Davidfl wrote: Wednesday it is then.

RIDERS
David Unk
Franz
Moto-Rex
MIss Yui
Ally
Fishenough

Ride south along R108

THE MASTERPLAN
1st stop Hot, for fuel & quick drink at Shell on right hand side going into town
2nd stop Kong Loi, for fuel & quick drink at Cosmo gas station left side for fuel & quick drink
3rd stop Mae Sarieng, for fuel & quick drink at PTT right hand side on the super heading North
4th stop Khun Yuam, for fuel & quick drink at PTT right hand side, south side of town.
5th stop Mae Hong Son. Lunch break / foot massage combined. Fuel up at Shell Pang Mu, left side north of town.
7th stop Pai, for fuel & quick drink at PTT left hand side, Chiang Mai end of town

Bring some rain gear. There should be a shower (& maybe a semi violent summer thunderstorm.)
I will have a couple of 4-litre oil containers for spare fuel, should anyone have good luck for the photographers. + a litre oil engine oil as a precaution.

Auke your generous offer is gratefully accepted. Please come, but let's hope we don't need you...

Check your tyres & oil beforehand.
Strap on your rain gear + someone help carry a 4-litre oil container with fuel.

DELAYED...1 day
until Thursday now 6th now.
Fishenough is sure then & the door is open for Art.

So DEPART 6.15 am Thursday outside Kafe / Mr Mechanic.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Thursday's a go too !! Will have with me my fuel-canister of 4 lts, a patchset and footpump for leaking inner tyres, first aid set as always, raingear but nothing for my sore butt !!!! Already a pain on the DR for more than 300 kms, wonder how I will walk after 600+ on a scooter, you know when you get older you get more sores.....5555555555555.
Art confirmed he will come too and even bring Jon with him.
BTW David, you made a major mistake above: .......stop.........for fuel & quick drink & smoke :happy5:
See u Thu morning, franz

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Well done you guys for pulling this together.

Now we have us a very interesting ride!

:happy1:

Ally

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Franz wrote: Thursday's a go too !! Will have with me my fuel-canister of 4 lts, a patchset and footpump for leaking inner tyres, first aid set as always, raingear but nothing for my sore butt !!!! Already a pain on the DR for more than 300 kms, wonder how I will walk after 600+ on a scooter, you know when you get older you get more sores.....5555555555555.
Art confirmed he will come too and even bring Jon with him.
BTW David, you made a major mistake above: .......stop.........for fuel & quick drink & smoke :happy5:
See u Thu morning, franz
:take-that: :take-that:
No No I was well aware of that after the 1st trip with Johnadda. I reckon we lost well over an hour for smokes. I was hoping you might not remember as you'd be so busy riding & trying to keep in my draft. :crazy: :crazy: It could be dangerous lighting up in my draft too you know! :roll: :roll:

The same in MHS, the trick will be to eat & have a foot massage at the same time. The food can be delivered from the Crossroads Pub & Restaurant while were are reclining in the soft chairs & having our pinkies tweaked.That way we should be relatively fresh when we start off again. :lol: :lol:

Auke's coming so he can carry any spares / fuel I guess.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
David, one thing's for sure, once stopping, you might not be finished with shutting down the bike and going for a pee when I will already be on smoke No. 2....55555555, I'm turbo charged while doing my smoke.......No hold ups by me & my stinkies I promise. But meeself will have a leisurly massage while waiting for you in Mae Hong's Son.....555555555......cheers, Franz

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Franz wrote: David, one thing's for sure, once stopping, you might not be finished with shutting down the bike and going for a pee when I will already be on smoke No. 2....55555555, I'm turbo charged while doing my smoke.......No hold ups by me & my stinkies I promise. But meeself will have a leisurly massage while waiting for you in Mae Hong's Son.....555555555......cheers, Franz
Yeah yeah on your "Step 125 HiClass."

See ya Thursday morning. I'm taking a gamble & riding my sons 125 WaveFI. Gung only has 1 Wave 125FI & I think MIss Yui fancies herself on that, The others are 110s.
:lol-sign: :lol-sign:

Jul 18, 2009
My Mrs ( Well ) will be joining on a rented bike as well as two other friends Kieth and Art. Please add them to the list

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Bloody hell it's only a dream ride of the MHS Loop & we are now TEN...
David Unk
Franz
Moto-Rex
MIss Yui
Ally
Fishenough
Schackster
Mrs Schackster
Keith
Art (Blister?)

Anymore guys want to try their luck.....The 600 kms Mae Hong Son Loop, in a DAY on Honda Dreams.

THE MASTERPLAN

Ride "south" along R108

Check your tyres, brakes & oil beforehand.
Strap on your rain gear.

Nov 2, 2008
ChiangMaiDiver wrote: Is this going tomorrow morning the 6th??? If I can join I would like too....???
Leaving from the Kafe/ Mr Mechanic at 6:15. 125 (~135) maximum sized bikes allowed and you would be most welcome to join.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Well that was a fun ride !!!! Still pampering my sore butt, but that's what kept us on the bikes, the pleasure in knowing that in the evening we will reach home. Went off in front of the Kafe & Mr. Mechanic and all went well. A colourful group and different bikes with ones more suitable and some not as much; such as mine. No real big incidents other than David and Yui's punctured tyres which were no big deal as luckily we could load them onto Auke's pick-up and bring them for a quick fix. Ahemm yes, although warned by David, Gary didn't heed the warning but went down nearly the same spot where I did previously. Luckily he wasn't injured but suffered some bruises only. Had a lot of petrol stops as some bikes have a range around 100 kms, especially the Step which turned out to be a guzzler and unsuitable to haul my bulk up steep slopes, going down was also a pain on the automatic scooters as there's not much of engine braking power......in the end found out that it is necessary to run these "auto's" like go-carts, meaning keep the throttle open and engage the back brake, that keeps the revs up and gives you needed power.....
Started at 06:15 in CNX and ended up at Fishenough's lovely restuarant Miguels in Nong Hoi at 20:25 where we papered ourselves with good mexican food and some draft beer.
As I didn't take the camera with me, hope that others will post fotos and a trip report.
It was a pleasure to ride with you all on the scooters which made it even more fun !! Looking forward to do a repeat run next year again !! Cheers, Franz

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Franz wrote: Well that was a fun ride !!!!
Well I guess it was for some.

It has to be said I was really looking forward to this ride, my first of the loop so yes a MHS virgin. I was with a group of folks I really thought I wanted to enjoy that journey with and it was to be fun on a small bike and with the excellent back up of knowledge & support in the guise of Auke, what could go wrong.

I started taking snaps at the Kafe, I took a couple along the 108 after Hot and caught the moment of Unk's flat being lifted into the truck.

Sadly that was it for me. The day was spoilt by an avoidable situation arising and I could not ignore it. I guess I am too sensitive, too caring and let it ruin my day.

I turned back at Mae Sarieng to accompany one of the riders who was having various problems and make sure they had company back to Chiang Mai.

As I appreciate the rules of this forum I shall not discuss the total waste of my day any further but here are a couple of the pics.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

5a.jpg

5b.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

I am seriously looking forward to another ride to Mae Sarieng & beyond, it's really nice out there and what terrific roads too.

Ally

Nov 2, 2008
Thanks for posting the pictures Ally and Art. Man that was good fun, and for you Ally we have to do it again soon. Whilst you can read on other forums how this scooter is garbage and my ...... scooter is the best; these bike, 100c to 135cc, were fantastically equal in regards to speed and handling. This was nice, even after a full days riding the 'pack' was still together. Well the Auto's were thirstier and the Dream has lousy brakes, but all in all - same, same. This mean't a lot to the guy (me) who in years past had the privilege of being that guy on the older dual sport tagging behind good friends on their R6, R1, Gixxer's, etc (coming up on 30 years with a two wheeled license, but having learned early on that big hp and I don't mix well).

Thanks Auke for driving the support truck. Also would like to give special thanks to Captain Slash's Air Hawk seat, with out you there might been a touch of discomfort after 600 kilmeters.

All us youngsters trying to keep up with Keith and he was riding this?! Man scoots are slow.

31121_1345885500404_1629280268_793700_1443026_n.jpg

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
What a great day this was. Riding the six hundred kilometre Mae Hong Son loop on scooters in the forty plus degree heat, in a day.
David's plan for the big day worked out spot on.
We took of from the Mr Mechanics shop at 6.15 as planned, and some 14 hours later we arrived at Miguels Nong Hoi
restaurant for beers and mexican food.

Ready for take off.
MHSinaday004.jpg

Heading into MHS province, but still a long way to go.
MHSinaday005.jpg

Would have been a good group photo if the truck didn't get in the way.
MHSinaday007.jpg

MHSinaday008.jpg

Miss gets a flat, we stopped at the local tyre repair shop which was ran by a one legged mechanic.
MHSinaday009.jpg

You gotta hand it to Miss Yui. Eighteen years old, rode up the front all day and didn't raze a sweat once.
At the end of the day she still looked like she had just walked out of a beauty salon.
MHSinaday010.jpg

MHSinaday011.jpg

One of the many fuel shops.
MHSinaday013.jpg

Because it was so hot, at each fuel stop we would also top ourselves up with fluids.
MHSinaday014.jpg

More drinks at the soppong river resort.
MHSinaday016.jpg

This ride just shows that you don't need flash bikes to have a great time in the north.
The massage and food in MHS was a ripper, though it was hard to get going agian.
Big thanks to David for putting it together, and thanks to all that came along to make it one of the best day rides I've had.
Also thanks to Auke for riding shot gun in the pick up.

Rex

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
A top day with a wonderful group of riders, guys & gals..

:happy1: :happy1:

The start
the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-01.jpg

the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-02.jpg

We got away pretty much on time, which was a surprise. It was a nice cool run down R108 to Hot for the first fuel stop.

Leaving Hot I was one of the last ones away & 10 kms out got a rear flat.

the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-03.jpg

Oh well you cant win them all. But with Auke driving shotgun at the back it was not a problem. Just put the bike in the back of his pick-up & carry on to the next fuel stop & hope that you would not slow the group down.

And in Kong Loi it was no problem slowing the group down - they'd already fueled up & moved on. Well done guys. That was the smart & right thing to do on the day - keep moving. :clap: :clap:

Here was the local expert providing the necessary expertise.
the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-04.jpg

Fully equipped with heavy duty safety boots
the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-05.jpg

I was asked if I wanted a new good quality tube, or a new cheap tube. I asked for the good one for the price of the cheap one & got a big chuckle in return plus a No.No.
And the cost....a massive 100 baht. Paid to the shop owner, the wife of the repair man
the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-06.jpg

who was working on another bike alongside.

Eventually I caught up to the group at the PTT in Mae Sarieng, after running full throttle all the way from Kong Loi.

The ride from Mae Sarieng - Mae Hong Son was a beauty, with lots of drafting & immense fun. Its incredible how much fun you can have on a small bike & riding a scoot on the MHS loop surely must give you the best bang for bucks (150 baht rental) + with a smile to match that you could ever get. With everyone on similar small bikes & a long way to ride in a day, there's no slouching & you have to keep the power on all day. Lose a few hundred metres & it takes you a few kms to get it back. You really do learn a lot about being smooth & maintaining the right pace ALL DAY.

Just out of MHs Miss Yiu got a flat, but was ably attended to immediately. What a surprise. :eek: :eek:

In MHS I set the guys up with a foot massage & take-away lunch, to make the most of our time.

the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-07.jpg

the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-08.jpg

And I think everyone appreciated the idea & believe it worked. Better than sitting in a hot restaurant on a hard seat forcing yourself to eat in the heat. (Air-con restaurants are hard to find in MHS.)

With only 6 reclining chairs for the "foot massagees", Auke, Yui & I had to dine across the street
the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-09.jpg

While the other guys ate in style...
the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-10.jpg

The pressure was on
the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-11.jpg

Art, aka Blister
the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-12.jpg

Photo time by the lake
the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-14.jpg

Fueling up at the PT (ex Shell) petrol station at Pang MU, north of Mae Hong Son
the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-15.jpg

the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-16.jpg

On the road, the Pang Mapha viewpoint
the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-19.jpg

the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-18.jpg

Miss Yui, a star on the day
the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-17.jpg

rode as cool as a cool cucumber all day & not once complained about the heat or distance & kept on the pace all day.
An amazing performance for a Thai girl, plus one so young!
Although I think she could do with a better pair of riding boots.

Miguel's was the final stop for the day & we were highly rewarded with perfect air-conditioning, soft seats for our butts PLUS excellent food. Thank you Kevin & Randy.
the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-20.jpg

the-mae-hong-son-loop-dream-ride-21.jpg

It was a beautiful little day trip from Chiang Mai.

A BIG THANKS GO TO AUKE who volunteered to tag along in his pickup & provide a good back-up service. Thank you very much Auke.

THANKS to all those who came. Its been 7 years since the last run, but I think we can now try to make this an annual event - always in the first week of May.

:lol-sign: :lol-sign:

Thanks also to Ally for volunteering & accompanying a fellow rider back to Chiang Mai unexpectedly.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Geeze Ally, I think you need to try and find a fanny pack (bum bag) with a few more compartments :D - 6 zippers,

31121_1345885220397_1629280268_793693_3512907_n.jpg

Glad you had fun (and hope you will have more fun another time Ally)...

Seems like a great group and enjoyable challenge...

Cheers,
Daewoo